music player popping up randomly ?!?Support

Last Updated: 2010-10-03 07:47:40
  1. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

The music player randomly starts up when I have my headphones inserted! How do I describe this? I'm watching a movie in Merdian, I change my body position, the headphone jack moves around a bit, then, without any warning, the music player starts playing in the background! Right in the middle of my movie !! :mad:

Anyone else seen this problem ? If my headphones are inserted, a small twist at the jack, and regardless of what I'm doing (browser, home screen ...etc) the music player starts up !!

This ... oddity happens ONLY if my headphones are inserted. Otherwise, the phone runs fine. :confused:

I'm running JC4.

-chronodekar

PS - it could be my imagination, but if I uninstall merdian, I think the problem goes away ... but I can't be certain and I really like merdian too much to get rid of it.

Advertisement
  2. atbeyi

atbeyi Well-Known Member

There are some triggers which makes something happen while you do certain things. (yes i know a silly sentence :) ) for example if call state changes the phone makes call time trackings apps and music/video players that the phones call state has been changed so act as you have to. putting your earphones triggers the music app like this there is a program called AutoStarts which shows you which triggers work what happens and give the ability to block it or not. but as i know it needs root.
    Mr.DNA likes this.
  3. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with mine. If I insert or wiggle the headphone jack the music player launches and plays a random song. I have noticed it with stock and current 1.6 builds so it is likely a hardware issue, poorly grounded jack would be my guess.
  4. chronodekar

Oh good, at least its not an issue with Merdian. But, this IS embarrassing, when showing off the phone.

As far as grounding goes, I think its an issue with external 3.5mm headphone jacks. The samsung in-ear headphones that come along with the device, holds without the problem, I think. But I hate in-ear and hardly ever use them.

-chronodekar
  5. apolloFER

apolloFER Well-Known Member

Samsung in-ear phones have a button for play/pause. When you press it, it starts the music player if I'm correct. It doesn't matter where you are, it starts music always. If you are currently using phones that do not have this button, a wiggle of the 3.5 jack could be interpreted as the button press. I don't know how the button works, it could be posible it sends some sort of impulse which the phone registers, but your wiggling could be interpreted this way. I would say that's what's happening.
    Debbz and chronodekar like this.
  6. chronodekar

You've very neatly explained the way it works, and I think it might well be whats happening. This post deserves a thanks !!

-chronodekar
  7. bl80

bl80 Member

same issue w/ my droid. headset jack is kinda loose.. shifting cuts the headphones out a lot.. and recently it launches a media player app i downloaded. ugh.
  8. atbeyi

atbeyi Well-Known Member

as i said before you may use the program called autostarts to end this :) (yes that annoying thing will be still there but at least no more music apps poping)
  9. chronodekar

this .. autostarts, program, is it avaliable in the market ?

.. oh, wait. I just read your earlier post. Needs root, eh? Thats a no for me. I have no plans to root my phone this year and I'd rather stick with Samsung provided firmware for a while longer.

-chronodekar
  10. atbeyi

atbeyi Well-Known Member

maybe if you ask to the developer of THIS program he may answer your question.

cause in the description of the app and the comments they all mention that root is needed for startup programs no mention about the other triggers.
  11. DeviledMoon

DeviledMoon Active Member

This issue only happens when you have a custom notifcation sound, tested it on mine...

change it to a default and you will be all good and dandy
  12. Mr.DNA

Mr.DNA Well-Known Member

Mine started playing music at full volume today in the middle of class and the worst part is that I am the professor, not the student :(. The phone was set to vibrate, so it took me a long time to even realize it was me (as I glared out over the students looking for the culprit). Apparently media volume is not included when phone is set to vibrate?

The phone was in my pocket and the headphones were obviously not plugged in (and had not been for several hours). It sounds like it could be a different problem, but I will check out Autostarts anyway in hopes of a similar solution.
  13. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I notice it sometimes when I remove the earphone. It doesn't always do it. It seems to me that it is a hardware problem. I am not going to get it fixed unless it becomes a continuous issue. I would have to re-install my original firmware to get it fixed under warranty. Not worth the effort.

Edit: This only occurred since I was on Galaxo 1.6.3.4. Problem disappeared when I reverted to 1.6.3.3.
  14. Frojd

Frojd Well-Known Member

It is definitely a software problem as the music player can start playing randomly whenever i have not cleared the current playlist (and sometimes when I open the music app, even if I have cleared). When using cubed it seems safe if you remember to clear the playlist.
  15. r3dpuma

r3dpuma Well-Known Member

i had to remove meridian to get rid of this, today!
    anyways i watch everything with real player so there was no big issue :D
  16. Mr.DNA

Mr.DNA Well-Known Member

I am having the problem on 1.6.3.3.
  17. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I think it is an issue with Galaxo. You are right, it did it on 1.6.3.3 as well later on.
  18. gamer8

gamer8 Member

it's something with the galaxo for sure...i never had this problem with 1.5..
  19. chronodekar

Debatable, I've seen this when I was still on 1.5 as well.

-chronodekar
  20. Mr.DNA

Mr.DNA Well-Known Member

The hardware headphone jack issue is something I have experienced since purchasing the phone, on 1.5, 1.6, and galaxo. In fact if you search back through the forum it seems to be the number one issue common to all users.

However, this issue of the music player starting randomly with no physical interaction/activity with the jack is something I had not experienced until installing galaxo.

The music player starts randomly, but no player icon appears in the status bar. The only way to stop the music is to physically open the music app, which does not indicate the music is playing (i.e. no change in the progress bar or timer for the song), press to start the music and then press again to pause it.

Others are describing this same new problem on the drakaz forum here.
  21. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I finally got the problem to go away by doing the following. First I installed a new music player from the Android Market. Second I went to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Music (the originally installed player). I scrolled down to Force Stop and activated it. Since then I have had no problem.
  22. chronodekar

Interesting work-around.

-chronodekar
  23. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

I have reinstalled Galaxo and the problem disappeared. I am using the original music player. All is working OK.
  24. Mr.DNA

Mr.DNA Well-Known Member

So far this is working for me, except that it seems I need to repeat the Force Stop with every reboot of the phone.

Also, what is the difference between "Music" and "Music Player" in the applications list?
  25. dri001

dri001 Well-Known Member

Music is the originally installed application. Music player is the one I got from the Market. I did a force stop on the originally installed app. However I did not have to go back and redo the force stop when I rebooted my phone for any reason. I have recently installed
    Galaxo after playing with GAOSP and the original problem never resurfaced. Don't know why, but I am not complaining.