• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music playing Hide and Seek

HennaDancer

Lurker
Dec 26, 2011
Apologies for the length of this post. This has become something of a saga, and I have no idea what will turn out to be relevant info.
I have an LG Optimus V, Android 2.2.1. I want to play music on it.
I put a whole lot of music on it from my computer. Some was fine, but didn't play. I realized it was because those files were not mp3 but flac. I got Meridian app, which is supposed to play flac, but it didn't show them. I got a flac to mp3 converter for my computer, erased the files from the phone, ran the files through the converter, and put them back on the phone. Now they play on my computer which they previously did not. I put them on my phone, and they show up, where they previously did not, but when I click on the to play, nothing. I checked the files on my computer, and they are indeed mp3.
So I figured the converter was bad and redownloaded the problem music in mp3 format. I added that and a bunch of stuff and took the phone to work. Same stuff played. I tried to play the new songs, which were all listed, and it just ignored me.
I plugged the phone in to the computer the songs came from, and went through each song on my phone, trying to play it on the computer with my phone as the disk drive. Every song played when I used the original file on the computer, but many on the phone had error messages. I got either "Windows Music does not support this file type or does not support the codec used to compress it" or the little Media popup said "Media Changing" and then I got a separate error message that said "Windows Media has encountered a problem". I checked, and they were all mp3s. Some of them would have the album appear, so I know that some information is getting through.
I took off all the songs and put them back on. I tried them a few at a time and tested one from each batch to make sure they worked. Each did. THen several hours later, I went to play the songs, and got the same error messages.
I put everything on a file in the computer, formatted the SD card, and put the files back on. Same error issues. I gave up and walked away fro a few hours.
The phone started playing one of the new songs. It did not seem to be playing it from any app I could find. I checked ringtones, and not only is it NOT in the ringtones file, but neither is my usual custom ringtone. I did eventually get it to turn off when I opened Music.
Now, some of the new stuff will play. Most, but not all, of the problem songs are those which are listed without an artist. I just tried to play a few songs of those that played originally, and it played a completely different song.
I would really like help in understanding what the problem is, as well as how to fix it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones