Music skipping and Voice Dialer self-startingSupport

Last Updated:

1. rosscan

rosscan Member This Topic's Starter

I know this is a known issue on the Incredible and Desire, and now it seems like the EVO too. I have regular sony headphones in my EVO and after about 2 or 3 minutes the icon will change from headphones to headphones with mic the voice dialer comes up and the music player just starts to skip. Is there any way to disable the voice dialer?

Advertisement
  2. rosscan

Got Headset blocker from android market works for a little while but then problems kick back in

3. werewolves

werewolves New Member

I'm having the same problem. Anyone have a suggestion?

4. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

check the connector on the headphones or cord... make sure there is only 2 bands and not 3 around the connector...

someone posted this a while back and I can't remember who... 3 bands on the connector signals voice.. 2 bands on the connector would be for just normal headphones..

5. shepx5

shepx5 Active Member

I'm having the same problem, and my jack does not have 3 bands, so that is not the cause in my case.
    It is very annoying. I had to use ATK on it which stopped it for a bit then it started again......... WTF???

6. SARC

SARC Active Member

Yep, me too. Did it on the way home from work today. It seemed to happen when I moved the phone.... I thought at first I had touched something on the display, but a few more occurrences showed that it wasn't me. I have a really funny feeling it's something (bad) happening with the 3.5mm socket.... I've just ordered a bluetooth receiver for the car so I can play music without having anything plugged into the 3.5mm socket so when I get that and try it, I'll post back to see if it still happens with nothing in the 3.5mm socket

7. rosscan

Headset blocker actually seems to help, once it goes to the headphone with mic the voice dialer doesn't come up anymore. It still stops when it automatically switches from headphone to headphones with mic :confused: but at least it's not skipping anymore

8. aj524

aj524 New Member

I have the same problem here. My headphones work fine, but when in the car my stereo audio line-in cable causes the EVO voice search to turn on and music to skip. I don't think it happened until I turned on music or played a video through youtube. Come on Android team... where's my OTA fix??

:eek:

9. SlimJimE

SlimJimE Member

SARC-what kind of reciever did you order? Im looking for a bluetooth receiver that will automatically pair when I get in the car and converts to a 3.5 plug so that it will work with my existing radio.

10. Kam

Kam Active Member

The EVO 4G seems to have trouble with non-TRRS plugs. I've had all kinds of problems with a standard 3.5mm TRS plug going into the aux of my car stereo. Songs skipping, pausing, voice dialing activated randomly, headphone icon switching from TTRS to TRS intermittently, etc. These usually seem to be caused by jiggling of the plug and/or cable.

I searched all over the web and it seems to be a common problem. Headphone blocker doesn't totally fix it. I've seen folks suggesting trying gold plugs, shielded cables, and various other kinds of other voodoo.

IMO the problem is due to a cheap-ass headphone jack in the phone itself.

WARNING!!! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------

I opened up the phone, removed the tape from the top of the headphone jack and bent the pin on the copper lead that's over the top of the jack more towards the bottom (Away from the S ring and towards the R ring). I've had no problems since.

Your mileage may vary.

11. LesPaul75

LesPaul75 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum. I am replying to this old thread because I just ran into this same issue and I have a little insight on it. This seems to be a pretty common complaint and it is not limited to a particular model of phone. I am seeing it on my brand new HTC Sensation.

Here is what I've noticed:
    1) The headphones that ship with the Sensation have four contacts on the plug (three black bands and four silver bands).
    2) A "normal" stereo plug has three contacts: left, right, and ground.
    3) The fourth contact is for the microphone. This is a common addition to headphone plugs/jacks that feature a microphone.
    4) The headphones also feature three buttons: "rewind," "phone/pause," and "forward."
    5) On my phone, the problem occurs when the headphone cord is pulled or twisted near the jack/plug.

Based on this and what Kam said...

... I have to conclude the following: The buttons on the headphone cord work by shorting two of the four circuits together. For example (this is a total guess) -- pressing the "rewind" button shorts the "left" wire to the "right" wire. I suppose you could pop open the buttons and figure out exactly which wires are shorted to perform each function. But the phone has circuitry to detect these shorts (shorts are normally a very bad thing if your electronics don't have hardware in place to detect them and deal with them).

Holding down the "phone/pause" button shorts the "microphone" wire to something (doesn't matter what). Most likely, the pin that Kam bent is the microphone wire, since his audio continued to work afterwards.

And I have to assume that what's happening in my case, and the others' who are having this same problem, is that the headphone cord is faulty and wires are shorting together unintentionally when the cord is bent/pulled/twisted.

Long story short -- if you are having this problem, either your headphone jack or your headphone cord has a short that shouldn't be there. Hopefully this will save someone from running out and buying a new phone over what is most likely a very easily fixable issue. All I had to do was get some new headphones -- and I could have even saved myself that trouble by just cutting open my existing headphones and throwing some electrical tape on the right spots.

12. beta21468

beta21468 New Member

I am having the same issue with my 3d, I am in review of asurion coverage page. Do people want to make it a class action? I'm only paying a single lawsuit, company its welcome. Consideringthis Web page will be used as evidence. Write me on here or add at and Yahoo at the end of my username for my email.