• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Music temporariliy unavailable"

brittmayo

Lurker
May 2, 2013
New Nexus 10 32GB. Essentially in "factory reset" state, with the exception of connecting to WiFi and setting up my Google account and wallet.

Everything works perfectly except for Google Play Music. It responds with "Music temporarily unavailable" when I try to play any of the pre-installed songs. Clearing the app cache doesn't help, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the app updates.

All of the other Google Play apps other than Music work properly.

Sound and video are working properly in general (e.g., YouTube app works fine).

I have seen many others with this problem across the Internet, so it's apparently something endemic to the device/build. Has anyone encountered it and found a solution?

Thanks.

Solution found:

I had NEVER used google music for anything prior to purchasing the Nexus. It comes with a set of songs "pre-purchased" on the device, but it wouldn't access them from my library because the Nexus wasn't authorized (no device was). When I logged onto google music on my PC, it then authorized my PC which must have "broken something loose". Subsequently, I was able to play the songs on the Nexus, which NOW shows up as an authorized device.

I was unaware of the whole "authorized device" concept until someone mentioned it to me. That was the key missing piece.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones