• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must do things For a X ?????????

Try:
Launcher Pro as your first app. It will allow you to customize home screens to your liking. After that it's pretty much just personal preference stuff.

Then visit the Tips forum and the Troubleshoot Forum for the DX. That will take you a couple of weeks to digest all that info.

Hate to mention the app, Angry Birds as that will just get you addicted like the rest of us.

We're not all bad around here. Just a little cynical at times ;)

Reactions: 97turbocobra
Upvote 0
  1. If you want to get the most out of your Droid X then 'root' that beast. Install a custom ROM on it - whatever tickles your fancy.
  2. Also, get 'WiFi Tether for Root Users' to stick it to Verizon for trying to charge for what's FREE and already built-in to Android.
  3. Then you may or may not want to overclock/underclock the CPU for increased performance or increased battery, respectively.
  4. Browse App Brain for Popular Android apps and have at it.
NOTE: I throughly enjoy Apex ROM. The newest one is version Apex 1.3.1 which is pretty fast and stable for the most part. If you don't know how to root your X then download 'z4root'. It is a one click root/unroot tool. You can Google it or snag it from here.

Upvote 0
  1. If you want to get the most out of your Droid X then 'root' that beast. Install a custom ROM on it - whatever tickles your fancy.
  2. Also, get 'WiFi Tether for Root Users' to stick it to Verizon for trying to charge for what's FREE and already built-in to Android.
  3. Then you may or may not want to overclock/underclock the CPU for increased performance or increased battery, respectively.
  4. Browse App Brain for Popular Android apps and have at it.
NOTE: I throughly enjoy Apex ROM. The newest one is version Apex 1.3.1 which is pretty fast and stable for the most part. If you don't know how to root your X then download 'z4root'. It is a one click root/unroot tool. You can Google it or snag it from here.

Now that he scared the heck out of you. Going from my post to his is like going from 1st grade to graduate school in one day. I figured you wanted the slow, easy route and not the Indy 500 on that learner's permit.

Upvote 0
if you are new to android, i would definitely stay away from rooting your phone until after your 30 day return period. this is b/c rooting voids your warranty and if you decide you don't like the phone for soem reason you have a lot of work to get it back to stock(some people are going to now tell you its easy to get back to stock, but its not if you are doing it the first time on a phone you don't want)

definitely read the stickies in the forums here b/c there is a wealth of knowledge there, and like bigbadwulff said it will take you a couple weeks to a month to get through everything...it seems daunting but the X was my first android phone and I got it at launch and i'm now rooted, ROMed, overclocked and taking full advantage of my phone. Again, unless you are a linux programmer, i would wait til you are comfortable with the phone and your return period is thru.

as for apps i'd say:
-beautiful widgets (all in one clock/weather/calender widget)
-angry birds and angry birds seasons (most addictive thing since crack)
-i replace my stock calendar with Jorte, its free and works much, much better than the stock app
-youmail or google voice for free visual voicemail (i use youmail, i like it but am getting ready to try google voice before the free time period runs out)
-speedx 3d is a pretty cool game
-pandora for me is an absolute must have
-i replaced the stock music player with winamp (cuz it really whips the llamas ass)
-barcode scanner(lots of different reasons to have it and you will learn after you get it)
-droidlight (turns on your camera flash as a flashlight, really handy for me since i always have my phone with me)

from there i'd say its just whatever is your preference

welcome to Android Forums and the Droid X community!
its a great place to learn things about your device and everyone here is usually pretty helpful and patient...we all started as noobs at some point.

the most important piece of advice i can give ya is to just enjoy your phone as best you can, it really is a great device and my goto gadget for everything!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Like yourself, I am new to Android. The x is my first non-Blackberry phone

This forum has a world knowledge you can use.

I will be watching this thread to give me some ideas. I am not going to root my X untill after my 30 period.

Check out app brain and Android market. There are a ton of things you can download to your liking.

Good luck with your x.

Upvote 0

128706292751182831.jpg

Upvote 0
Can you explain the bolded part? Thanks
This is the program and file that Motorola and Verizon uses to "flash" our phones. It puts the OS and all the stock files on your phone. If you mess your phone up some how you can use this to "undo" those changes that messed up your phone.

Im on my phone now so I don't have the links but this is what you need to have incase you brick your phone. I've had my phone since july and have flashed many different roms, themes, boot logos and more and have yet to brick my phone but I have this stuff as a back up so when I do brick my phone im not panicking like I see so many on here do. I did flash this once to get my phone back to stock before an update.

Also once you are rooted you should make a nandroid to restore if you do have to sbf or if you install a rom or theme you don't like, you can just restore to the last nandroid and you back to where you were

Reactions: galaxc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones