• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Must have" applications for Galaxy

Kamala

Jun 22, 2010
BEG, SER
Title says everything. I made this thread to help newcomers with basic stuff.
Apps Installer - Enables install from SD card (you can download app with your comp and put it on SD card)
Quick System Info Pro - Imo the best task manager/monitor for Galaxy, has everything that we need. Second choice for OS Monitor
BateryTime Lite - Precise and lite app that monitors your batery status, can be used as widget but Im not using it due to low available memory in Galaxy.
ES File Explorer - Really good file manager (manages your files in phone and memory), also would recommend OI File Manager (lite but with less settings)
WiFi Buddy - I find default WiFi search very annoying, this will help you if you think like me.
Dropbox - Shares files with your computer
Msn Talk - Msn Client
Fring - Was the best VOIP client, sadly not working for Skype anymore so we are waiting for Skype VOIP app that actualy works.
Skyfire - Browser that supports flash.
Zedge - Huge collection of wallpapers and ringtones
Digiclock - Only widget that Im using atm, only cause it has date and day with not much usage of memory.

camera 360 - massive improvement over default app; take better pictures
swiftp - turn your phone in to an ftp server to gain access to it over wifi or 3g for easy file transfers
opera mini - the only way to properly browse the web without 3g/wifi
barcode scanner - for qr codes
momentflash - or any other flashlight app
tea timer - or any other countdown timer to tell you when your pizza is done
mysettings - quick access to a bunch of settings like screen brightness, ringer mode and on/off for wifi/3g/gps/airplane/bt and more
calwidget - the best, most customizable calendar widget

Upvote 0
The apps I use most: [1=cool 2=great 3=must have]

• 3 Google trio: gmail, contacts, calendar
  • 2 Aldiko, ebooks
  • 2 Opera mini. I have problems with skyfire, too slow. But it does show flash videos, so stays installed.
  • 1 SetCPU for overclocking settings
  • 2 Twidroyd, twitter client
  • 3 Facebook app
  • 2 Meridian for music and videos
  • 2 3banana for note taking
  • 3 Alarm Klock - mind the K
  • 2 Droid48 - hp48g calc simulator
  • 2 Astro file manager - also for installing APKs
  • 3 Google Maps original and Brut's version for countries where the oficial one is not fully supported
  • 3 Barcode scanner
  • 1 Handcent SMS
  • 3 Glowing Pear - LED flashlight
  • 1 Andoku - Sudoku
  • 2 Expensify - travel expenses
  • 1 Programm Manager - TV schedule for Germany
  • 1 Engadget app
  • 3 AnyCut for special shortcuts
  • 1 Camera magic - to fix the standard camera app
  • 2 eBuddy for chat
  • 2 PapiJump - silly simple game, great for kids
  • 1 Ringdroid for making ringtones
  • 1 Shazam - recognizes songs (rarely use it, but works great!)
  • 1 Smartpark - find where you parked your car
  • 3 SotpWatch - includes countdown
  • 2 Battery Widget
  • 2 Startup Cleaner Pro - seems to work, not sure if it really helps with performance, though
  • 3 Swiftkey Beta - Great keyboard, with great text prediction. Pity only one language possible, at the moment.
  • 3 Swype - even better text input method. Doesn't have all the languages I really need, though.
  • 1 Mandelbrot Map - rarely use it, but, as a great fractal fan, a must have
  • 2 SMS backup & restore
  • 3 SMS backup - this one send the SMS' to gmail, fantastic!

Apps I am looking for:

• Alternative to Gmaps that doesn't need internet connection all the time. Haven't figured out how to use Brut's caching feature. I am willing to pay for good navigation.
  • better browser experience. I still have to apply the hacks to keep the last page open in opera mini.
  • A good voice/sound recorder. record, stop, save.
  • A good news app that doesn't stay on background.
  • A better TV schedule for Germany, with the possibility to choose which channels to keep an eye on.
  • A better way to manage google contacts
  • A better dialer
  • Ukulele chords and lyrics with tabs app. Similar to Chordie website.
  • Bus, underground and tram schedules for German cities.
  • Media player or play list creator that automatically generates different lists: most frequently played, newest, long time no play, based on mood or rhythm, party shuffle, etc.

Cheers!

Reactions: _wolf_
Upvote 0
  • 3 Glowing Pear - LED flashlight

Apps I am looking for:

• Alternative to Gmaps that doesn't need internet connection all the time. Haven't figured out how to use Brut's caching feature. I am willing to pay for good navigation.

Cheers!

Glowing Pear is a great application. There is some "open" versions of iGo floating around the interwebs that you can google and find. It is slow but usable and it does not require an data connection.

Reactions: bresslau
Upvote 0
handcent sms, opera mini, dropbox, shazam, spare parts, es file explorer...
root explorer - very useful app
agenda - best calendar widget i tried
quick settings - like my settings etc, but includes APN on/off
GTasks - syncs with google tasks, very useful
Battery indicator - shows battery percentage in top bar

Upvote 0
Thanks for the Trap! suggestion. Fun game port of one i played long ago. Installed dummy test 1 and it's sorta fun. It's like brain age and i'm looking for a port of that now. I've been using appbrain because I find it a lot easier to find and install things. Do most of you use that site as well?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones