"Must have" apps for the ThunderboltGeneral

Last Updated:

1. bamaster

bamaster Well-Known Member

I'm getting my T-Bolt on a couple days *crosses fangers* and I'm curious what apps are "must have" for this phone. I'm coming off an Evo and a few apps that I have to have are

* LauncherPro [Customize screens and docks]
    * MyBackup Pro [$ - Backup apps, phots and data]
    * AppAlarm Pro [$ - Trigger events with alarms... I use it to launch Pandora for waking up]
    * ASTRO File Manager [Browse/manage your memory card, also will install APK files]
    * Go SMS or Handcent [Alternative to stock text app, skinable, custom notifications]
    * ColorNote Notepad Notes [Notepad type app, I use it for keeping a grocery list and cocktail recipes!]
    * WeatherBug Elite [$ - Weather app, has nice radar animations and widgets]
    * RealCalc Scientific Calcualtor [Nifty calculator]
    * Mr. Number Call Block [Block incoming calls and texts]
    * CalWidget [Neat widget for displaying calendar events]
    * Extended Controls [$ - Awesome widgets for feature toggling, like WiFi, Sync, GPS, Vibrate mode, etc. Helps with battery life when not by disabling things when not needed... hoping they get a TB support for switching 4G antennae]
    * AudioManager Pro [$ - Widget for adjusting the various volumes]
    * MagicGem [$ - Like Jewels game]
    * Angry Birds (like, duh!)
    * Facebook/Foursquare/Twitter
    * Pandora Radio [Streaming music]

Anything that you guys have that you can't live without? Anything unique to the Thunderbolt?

2. McLabia

McLabia Well-Known Member

Good starting list, Im interested in what others see as "Must have" Apps. This will be my first droid so Im curious. :)
  3. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Well-Known Member

Nope, so one of the other 14,000 threads dedicated to this exact topic would probably suffice...
  4. plastike

plastike Member

Really comes down to what you're looking to do with the phone, but below are my 3 most used apps

LogMeIn ($$) - allows remote access/control to my laptop
    TripIt - organizes my traveling itinerary data
    Grooveshark - love this app more than Pandora, as I usually know what exact songs I want to stream
  5. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

Zynga Poker
    Alarm Clock Plus
    Gmail Notifier
  6. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Well-Known Member

bump, anyone else have more suggestions?

Best text program, etc.
  7. bamaster

Most people like Handcent. I loved it but I switched to Go SMS and never switched back. Both are really excellent replacements (and skinable!) for the stock text app.
    RJSH_1727 and tbone55 like this.
  8. Stevessvt

Stevessvt Well-Known Member

Juice defender, once it gets fixed and working with the TB.
  9. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

my top picks would be: handcent sms, Pulse News reader, and tweetcaster.
  10. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Phandroid :D
  11. DawnGP143

DawnGP143 Well-Known Member

Couldn't resist....LOL
  12. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

Really, though, I just got the app like a week ago. It's actually really slick. It brings me right to the TB forum. :eek:
  13. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Well-Known Member

Yep, easy interface, reminds me of the XDA app, but somewhat better.
  14. GatorfanDroid

GatorfanDroid Well-Known Member

NFL mobile for you football fans.I'm more into Slack Radio my self as well.Not sure what else to get for as MP3 apps that are free goes.OH another fun one is google sky app.
  15. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I also love the Netflix app!!!

Oh yeah that's right...The folks at Netflix are still sitting on that one! I'm getting sick of waiting!!!
  16. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who likes ChompSMS? I like Handcent, and liked GoSMS(thought it was slow on the Fascinate though, could have been phone), but I always go back to Chomp.
    webby62 likes this.
  17. I like that one than any of the ones posted.. I like the default better than any of them though.
  18. Mr. number, to block calls
    Google news and weather (genie) widget (best scrolling, and easiest configuring news aggregator there is)
    Mp3 downloaders
    PicSay for editing pics

Other.than that, just personal stuff like banking apps etc
  19. McLabia

McLabia Well-Known Member

Anyone running trillian on their phone?
  20. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Well-Known Member

If anyone gets Genie widget to run on this phone let me know. I love that one for my news updates
    Breakout98 likes this.
  21. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

So you're saying the Thunderbolt doesn't have a specific feature that can utilize an app better than another phone?

I know when the 3GS came out on the iPhone, there were apps that utilized its built in pseudo-compass and certain apps like Yelp gave you augmented reality.
  22. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

A while back I stopped using Chomp when they started putting advertisements in the free app. I switched to Handcent then, and haven't looked back.

Does it still have the ads? Or did they remove them?
  23. Yellow Snowman

Does Handcent receive picture messages or just texts? And if it doesnt receive picture messages do you just receive them through stock message system?
  24. bamaster

It's a full on SMS/mms app. It's free, give it a shot. It really is a superior tool for messaging. And it looks better too. :D
  25. Yellow Snowman

ok I d/l handcent and love it it except one problem......sms and mms are still coming through default message app. how do I get sms and mms to come through handcent and stop through default?