• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must have apps on your Mytouch Slide?

1st post :)

my must have apps are as followed:

-universal androot (soft roots ur slide so u can use ROOT only apps)
-wifi tether (allows u to tether to any device. root needed)
-shoot Me (takes snapshots anywhere on ur phone. root is needed)
-quick desk (kinda like a hidden window to hide apps or get to them quicker)
-quick settings (pop up window that lets u toggle to ur settings)
-app protector (pw-locks any app(s) u choose)
-sling player (lets me stream my live tv to my Mt3G-slide)
-astro (as stated above - a file manager)
-beautiful widgets (i use it for the clock, it does lots more though)
-better keyboard (kbd replacement u can also skin them)
-silent boot (kills the annoying tmble jingle re-boot music)
-silent time lite (it sets ur phone to silent on days/times u want it too)

these r the apps i generally use everyday. :)

Upvote 0
Also, if anyone can find out how to root this phone, I will be able to install mobile defense. :)

if you havent already universal androot is a one-click method to rooting ur slide and it doesnt unlock your bootloader. thus not voiding ones warranty. if anyones interested i can send the apk file for it. or u can find it somewhere over on the xda forums

Upvote 0
for anyone whos interested heres the apk

i am not responsible for ANY thing that happens to your device. instal at your own discretion. ive passed this apk on to 4 friends (3 Mt3G-slide users and one samsung vibrant) and none of them including myself has had any issues with this

Attachments

• UniversalAndroot.apk
    322.7 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
root is just pointless with a locked bootloader, IMHO. Who cares about wifi tether just use the usb cable with no root. Plus with this so called "soft root" you still can't mount the system to remove stock apps/bloatware! Totally WACK! again this is just an opinion.

dif strokes for dif folks. i personally dnt want to void my warranty, and being tied to a cable to tether is out of the question. i rarely carry my sync cable anywhere to begin with. yeah removing the pointless stock apps to free up space would be nice but not at the cost of my warranty. ill wait it out until froyo and save everything to my SDcard to free up phone memory that way. my only reason for wanting root was to use the ROOT ONLY apps in the market. this method was perfect. at anytime i can go back to stock if need be for any reason. be it returning the device for a replacement, to selling it etc.

Upvote 0
you can always unroot when you do an actual root and save that precious warranty. tmo will never know ;)

just as an aside...i will not "really" root my silde because well the development on it is lacking enthusiasm. no insult to those that do and have been dev. for the phone, but its just not up to par. nothing stellar is out, so no need to go to the trouble. again just my opinion.

Upvote 0
you can always unroot when you do an actual root and save that precious warranty. tmo will never know ;)

just as an aside...i will not "really" root my silde because well the development on it is lacking enthusiasm. no insult to those that do and have been dev. for the phone, but its just not up to par. nothing stellar is out, so no need to go to the trouble. again just my opinion.

you are right u can unroot but have u seen the process to root a mt3g? its ridiculous. so to unroot is more than likely the same. im not knocking your choice to root your device, just offering an easier way for those like me who want to save a warranty and skip the headache and hassle

Upvote 0
Agreed the root process for this phone is ridiculous and unrefined. That's what happens when no one wants to develope on a particular phone. It's a shame but I am satisfied with stock on this phone which I am not on my behold2 or wifes old cliq which I just ebayed for $120, which is more than we paid for it. I also was able to get her hooked up with a free slide the same way I got mine. I guess one good thing can come for dropped support...a better and newer phone...for free! Others customers results may vary but I'm 3 for 3 on free upgrades :D

Upvote 0
TuneIn Radio is awesome
Battery Indicator very useful
Yelp helps find places to eat when you are not sure
Weather Widget
Doubletwist Player (better than OEM player)
Audible for Android (audiobook player)
Pandora
Tuner-gStrings for tuning my guitars
Mediafly - Pod cast player
Movies - see previews, showtimes, buy tix
Zillow - this is money... Works great when you are looking for a place, uses Google Maps.
Bank of America - just useful

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add that in order to get Universal Androot to work on the Mytouch Slide, you need to be using the latest Androot beta, 1.6.2, and you need to use the 'soft root' feature. This essentially roots the phone for the remainder of the time that it is on. Once you restart the phone, you need to re-do a soft root to get superuser access. Using the regular root feature seems to just cause the phone to restart with no root access.

I used 1.6.2 of Universal Androot with the version of wifi tether listed in this forum and it works beautifully -
Mytouch Slide WIFI TETHER STABLE APK FILE - xda-developers

I'm hoping it will work with an ipad wifi. Should be getting one soon, will return to post results.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone for three weeks only but so far I am loving the following apps:

Diets2go - This app is great for balanced meals and to loose an extra kilo or two a long the way
Springpad - Shopping lists, notepad, tasks, etc. it is fantastic
Dropbox - for easy access to my computer files when out and about.
Meebo - all in one messenger (aim, msn, yahoo, etc.)
Facebook - must have
Skype -
Google translate - great when I am in France and get stuck with my crappy French
Le Conjugueur - helps me when I get stuck conjugating French verbs
Jewels - Bejeweled equivalent. Very addictive.

adding more as the days go by :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones