• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must have apps

Out of all the apps I use the ones I could not do without and which are not discussed very much are:

AndroZip, an app to unpack .zip files on your phone. I download a lot of audiobooks from Librivox and Audiobooksforfree.com which are zip files. Easier to do it all on the phone rather than hooking up to the computer.

Keepscreen, will disable the screen timeout for specified apps. Particularly useful for Google Maps.

Autostarts, blocks specified apps from running, ie Peep and Stocks.

Gdocs, syncs with Google docs, enough said.

Upvote 0
Swift - way better twitter client than Twidroid, has a built in browser for when you want to follow hyperlinks in someone's tweets.

Locale - Manages phone settings based on time, calendar appt, location, caller, battery state, or a combination of those 6 options. There are plugins for twitter, autosync, and others. Like my work schedule is in my calendar, and locale silences my phone so long as I'm downtown during that calendar appointment. When a family member calls, bluetooth turns on automatically. Great stuff.

WeatherBug - Puts the current temperature in the notification bar, and when I pull down the shade I can get a little more detail about today's current forecast. I have it set to update every 2 hours so it doesn't drain battery. With it in the notification bar, I don't have to unlock my phone to see the temperature.

BuddyMob - Way better than eBuddy. Buddy Mob is kinda like twitter meets Google Lattitude with chat. It also allows you to cross post to Twitter, Facebook, and lets you connect to WindowsLive, Yahoo!, AIM and GoogleTalk. You can pull up the map and see where your friends (and you) are/were when posting status updates. Can be a battery drain if you leave it running. I mostly use it when I want to cross post to twitter and facebook at the same time.

Pandora - Yep, it's on android now, with a nifty widget.

ACV(android comics viewer). Reads CBR/CBZ files as well as other picture files and formats. Great being able to listen to music on my bluetooth stereo headphones while reading comic books on the train.

Upvote 0
opps yes - I've amended my original post:eek:

Awesome! I was very interested in finding the app you were talking about, but knew the one you mentioned first wasn't it. Thanks for the revision! I'm trying it out now.

Keepscreen, will disable the screen timeout for specified apps. Particularly useful for Google Maps.

Autostarts, blocks specified apps from running, ie Peep and Stocks.

WOW! Those are 2 great ones!!! I had been looking for Autostarts, but couldn't find it. I'm adding those 2 right now!

Upvote 0
For me-

Games -

ScummVm - Day of the Tentacle on my phone!

Space Physics - Great little physics based puzzler

What the Doodle!? - Multi-player pictionary

Apps-

Beebplayer - Must have app for me

Last.fm - stream music from Last.fm to your phone

Squeezebox - Control your Squeezebox music centre from your phone

Astro - Great file management app that's handled everything I've thrown at it so far

Google Sky Map - I love this. My kids both love the stars and now I can actually tell them what they're looking at

Upvote 0
I have one Must have for Screen Organization it was mentioned in the Tips sticky (kudos to him for finding it!!):

Apps Organizer: Freed up a whole bunch of space on my screen. Kinda functions like folder but is more flexible in that you can tag your apps!! And Free
chart

Upvote 0
Say Merago, where did you get Day of the Tentacle from Mate, also do you know if maybe Grim Fandango is out there for our phone, would Love Monkey Island as well. :)

Peace,
Andrew.

For me-

Games -

ScummVm - Day of the Tentacle on my phone!

Space Physics - Great little physics based puzzler

What the Doodle!? - Multi-player pictionary

Apps-

Beebplayer - Must have app for me

Last.fm - stream music from Last.fm to your phone

Squeezebox - Control your Squeezebox music centre from your phone

Astro - Great file management app that's handled everything I've thrown at it so far

Google Sky Map - I love this. My kids both love the stars and now I can actually tell them what they're looking at

Upvote 0
Say Merago, where did you get Day of the Tentacle from Mate, also do you know if maybe Grim Fandango is out there for our phone, would Love Monkey Island as well. :)

Peace,
Andrew.

Scummvm is a platform to play to old point and click games (monkey island and DOTT included) You have to own the original games to play them though.

As of yet, you can't play Grim Fandango on the Hero. I can't imagine it would work very well, although I'm not gonna stop anyone trying as it is the best game ever made. Ever.

Upvote 0
Thanks vido.ardes,
Thats a Bummer then, I do have a downloaded Monkey Island that I
bought from Tell Tale games on my PC I would have Loved to have that again on my Hero.
How would I go about getting the game data for the games then as I used to have All the Lucas Art games on I think Windows 95?
I agree about Grim Fandando as well, what an Advertisement for
NOT Smoking My Friend. :)
I hope that 1 day someone re codes the games for XP, 7 etc and don't forget the Awesome Sam And Max Hit The Road. :)

Scummvm is a platform to play to old point and click games (monkey island and DOTT included) You have to own the original games to play them though.

As of yet, you can't play Grim Fandango on the Hero. I can't imagine it would work very well, although I'm not gonna stop anyone trying as it is the best game ever made. Ever.

Hi punkzanyj,
What is this pandora please, I just went to the market and it
said it was not there.

Upvote 0
Hi punkzanyj,
What is this pandora please, I just went to the market and it
said it was not there.

Peace,
Andrew.

Pandora was there for me on Friday...It's the first app I downloaded for my Eris...Still comes right up for me when searching the market with "Pandora" (Actual title is "Pandora Radio")...

**EDIT**
Thanks for this list as well all...I found some great apps in here...

Upvote 0
im new to the htc system i have a hero and these are the best i have found so far:

beebplayer absolutly fantastic ok the tv side of it has a bit to be desired but the radio is easiy worth 5stars:D

i liked handcent but it would fail to send and then sen multiple copies of it when it did get the chance.any clues how to sort it out? it would also duplicate messages even though handcent was set as default. any ideas?

gameboid ace...

Upvote 0
Thanks daveybaby, that would explain it. :)

Peace,
Andrew.

Pandora no longer gets streamed outside the US due to licensing issues, so chances are the app wont appear in the market outside the US either.

I have discovered a great little App today for people who like myself
suffer from Diabetes called OnTrack.
I hope None of you others on here need this one. :rolleyes:

Peace,
Andrew.

Upvote 0
Ok going through my phone now and i have the following that i use a lot.

Games
Puzzle Blox
Trap!
Space Stuffer
Buka Lite
Radiant
What The Doodle!
Totemo
1337pwn
Droid Mini Golf

Utils
TTS Service extended -text to speech
TaskKiller - for killing tasks
Speed Test - util for testing 3g speed
Shazam - tune identifier
Ringdroid - ping tone editor
Places Directory - google tool
PicSay Pro - image editor
My Tracks - google gps tracker
mp3tagger pro - album art finder and mp3 tagger
Mobisle Notes Free - To do list app
Layar - 3d augmented reality camera app
Last.fm - Radio app
g-tar free - guitar app
BeebPlayer- iplayer for android
Barcode Scanner
Backgrounds - wallpaper tool
ADC 2 - Android Developer Challenge 2
AudioManager widget - volume control widget

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones