• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must have Apps

I've been reading around, and I just recently factory reset my phone so I've been doing a lot of digging into apps, I figured we could make a board to discuss some apps and see whats going on as far as that goes.

We could probably make a few sections (up for debate) some of them would be social networking, messaging, internet, games, and productivity. With those base categories we could put what we think the best tool for it is, or at least, what we use for that category.

I'll get us started:

Social Networking:
For individual accounts I typically stick to the in house app, for example if I just want to check facebook, I'll use the facebook app, or if I just want to check twitter I'll use the twitter app. I do this for a few reasons, first off they tend to be a little bit faster than the combined apps, also they tend to be high quality, for example for me, the facebook app has excellent push notifications, at least in 2.2.

For combined apps, I use a few different apps, lately, I've been using Seesmic and TweetDeck. I do have one issue with seesmic and that is, it seems to add a random account to my contacts data sync, whenever I check my contacts there is a linked contact on all of them from an unknown account, other than that Seesmic is fairly useful and high quality, however, neither Seesmic nor TweetDeck seem to have push notifications like some other apps.

Messaging:
Now, for text messaging I use that app on my Fascinate that came with it, I've tried HandScent SMS but it didn't really look as smooth or simple as the built in app so I didn't stick with it for very long, however HandScent is very versatile and has a lot of customization options that some users may enjoy.

Similarly for my email, I tend to use the built in apps, for gmail I use gmail, and for my hotmail, yahoo, and aol accounts I use the default email client. I did use K9-Mail for a while, but it didn't last very long, nothing against the app, it was just not as simple as the built in apps.

For all of my messenger and AIM needs I use go!chat, so far it has worked out rather nicely, the notifications that it sends to your phone work perfectly and its very quick. I don't really care for the facebook apps chat, because I don't get half of the messages that I get sent, however in go! I tend to get them all, and for that reason I prefer that app.

Hopefully this will spark a discussion, I'll add to it as much as possible, I spend a lot of time at work, and I can monitor it from there so I'm on quite a bit!

Social Networking:
For individual accounts I typically stick to the in house app, for example if I just want to check facebook, I'll use the facebook app, or if I just want to check twitter I'll use the twitter app. I do this for a few reasons, first off they tend to be a little bit faster than the combined apps, also they tend to be high quality, for example for me, the facebook app has excellent push notifications, at least in 2.2.

This is where I stopped reading. But welcome to AF :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones