Must have apps?General

Last Updated:

1. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought the eris about 2 weeks ago and I love it, but I was wondering in your own opinion what are the best apps to have on this phone?

Thank You

Advertisement
  2. piranhadonna

piranhadonna Member

My must haves are appbrain, astro, tweetcaster(if you are on twitter), barcode scanner just to name a few.

3. lilbballer27

Have astro, and barcode scanner. I do not use twitter and what does appbrain do? My phone is currently off charging in the car so i can not check.

4. Sk0t24

Sk0t24 Active Member

5. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

If you follow sports, download Sportstap.

The Weather Channel and/or Weatherbug are also popular.

I use Calwidget for my calendar.

My Verizon is good to keep up with usage.

Pandora for music.

SMS Popup or Handcent for messaging so you get a pop up notification for texts.

6. lilbballer27

I heard those weather ones slow down your phone more. Is that true or just lies? lol

7. Bswartz95

I haven't had any problems with The Weather Channel. I use the large widget with severe alerts enabled. No problems.

I tried Weatherbug once and it killed my battery. Although, I've heard this has been fixed by an update.

Weather Channel updates are more accurate for me though. I allow it to follow my location. It uses the network, not GPS, so it doesn't kill the battery.

8. lilbballer27

Thanks good to know! I will look into that when every i grab my phone.

Keep all the app suggestions coming guys! Thanks.

9. fussundgeist

fussundgeist Member

I'm running iMap, Weatherbug, and TWC for weather. All have their ups and downs. iMap most features, but takes a lot more processor/memory. TWC is good all around, especaily with the app and widget combo; can't find a force update button though. Weatherbug has the best feel, for me, but the temp is always wrong, reads about 5 degree below actual, I don't know where they pull their data from.
    I run a waterpark so having immediate radar access is what I'm looking for. iMap has some, but can get buggy. No one else has looping radar.
    It'd be awesome if wunderground published an app. They've already broke the site into a main, lite, and mobile versions, so it wouldn't be too much to get an app running the polls that data.

Using Opera mini for a browser. Droidbox and waiting for the official dropbox. CalWidget in the agenda format. And multiple widgets/shortcuts for power, gps, wifi, etc.
    Running on leak 2.1v2

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

** Swype ** - Superb app that allows you to type messages and etc much quicker than tapping on the keyboard. Its a full keyboard replacement and works wonderfully.
    *Weatherbug Elite - Great app the radar works much better than twc's imo, its quicker and it has a really nice widget to replace the stock senseui weather widget.
    MLB At Bat 2010 - Listen to live games anywhere you have 3g or wifi.
    Pandora & Droid Live - Internet Radio Clients
    Google Sky Maps - Point your camera at the sky and see where the stars/planets are.
    Key Ring - Replaces all those stupid keyring plastic discount cards.
    *Astro File Manager - Backup your apps, etc to your sd card.
    *My Verizon (if you have verizon wireless of course) - Find out how much talktime or data bandwidth you've used and add remove features to your calling plan.
    Pic Say Pro - Allows you to edit pics with captions and etc.
    *Speed Test - Tests your download and upload bandwidth, keeps a log for future reference.
    Album Art Grabber - If you add your itunes music to your sd card the album art is usually missing, this app finds them all and puts them on your sd card. Massive time saver.
    *Auto Mount - When you plug in the USB cable to your PC this will automatically mount your sd card, when you unplug it unmounts it. Great time saver.
    *Barcode Scanner - Used for QR codes and product barcodes. Saves time when you find a cool app browsing the web and they provide a QR code with a direct link to the app via the app store.
    Easy Tether Pro - Tether your phone to your laptop to turn your phone into a 3g modem whereever you are. Saves you the monthly cost of having a wireless modem.
    Paypal Mobile - Access your paypal account from your phone. Login via email or mobile phone # + pin. Send money or check account balance quickly. Also allows you to view your payment history.
    Tunewiki - Much better music player than the built in audio app, also downloads and streams the words to the songs.
    Wifi Analyzer - View graphs and charts of the wifi signals in the area, also shows you what channels are being used and which channels offer the best signal quality.
    *Worara Ringtone - Download free ringtones and notification sounds to your phone. Note: You'll need to manually move them to a seperate folder (ie: media > audio) so your built in music player doesn't think they are music and adds them to your playlist. Tunewiki doesn't have this problem but the stock music app does.

* Recommended by me for every android phone.

11. Bswartz95

If you're looking for radar, check out "Rainy Days". It's a radar on top of Google Maps. "Radar Now" is another app from the NWS.

12. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Well-Known Member

Call Log Prefs - Allows you to manage your call logs and keep them a lot more manageble, such as only displaying x number of calls or only displaying x number of calls to/from any particular number.

Not Call Log - Set your phone to go to another location after completing a call. I kept accidently redialing numbers when attempting to hang up or get out of the phone app, this automatically sends me back to my home after the call is completed.

13. SOMFW

SOMFW Banned

Considering it's just a toy with a phone attached to it and 90% of the apps out there demonstrate this fact.

These are my Choices for "Must have apps"

For a Non Smoker, Music lover who is 35+ The Bic Concert Lighter App. is a must have. Once seen, it's self explanatory.

Other equally useless but worth considering apps. are

- Where - This app basically, Groups together all the "other" features of the phone into one place. And, although it's an "all in one" type app it actually works, somewhat. And, is better then most of the "Single use" type apps that it replaces.

- G strings tuner - For those times when you just cant do it on your own

- Album art grabber, for those who have their own Music collection, refuse to buy "Pirated" stuff from places like Itunes, and are to lazy to properly encode their mp3 Rips. But, still want to be part of the in crown, with their tiny 1" square Album Covers to show off. It also work great for those of a "certain age brackett" that remember a group or song buy its Classic Album Cover!

- BookmarksBR - For anyone who has reformatted the phone more then once and found out what a pain in the ass reloading bookmarks are

- And finally - Launcher Dock - Once the newness of 7 screens, widgets, shortcuts, etc. wears off and you just want one screen that performs all the functions you realy need and always use, (Not the Toys and Gimmicks you think are cool, but ultimately can live with out or forget about soon after install). This lets you put up to 8 apps that you use the most in to their own short cut "folder" for quick access, allowing you to fit everything you absolutely must have on one screen. Also, using this instead of 7 screens full of "Cool to look at" widgets makes the phone run 100% better IMO.

14. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Swype
    Swype
    Swype
    Swype
    Swype
    Swype
    Swype
    Astro
    3Banana
    Barcode Scanner
    Handcent
    Task Panel - not to kill, just to watch...

Tons of others are nice - but those are "Must haves"

15. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

Astro-lets you back up your apps on your SD card, also can manage the folders on the SD card.
    Where's My Droid-send a special text message to find your phone.
    Advanced Task Killer-just kidding, not use a Task Killer or OftheDamned will hunt you down. :)
    Blow Up-I love this simple game!
    Documents to Go-I use Excel everyday and this is a must have to be able to view and modify sheets.
    Gesture Search-very cool and fast way to find anything on your phone.
    Google Voice-hope you get an invite.
    Scoreboard-I think this one is preinstalled, I tried SportsTap (no offense BSWartz) but it just isn't as good as Scoreboard IMO.
    Google Sky Map-everyone that sees it is jealous.
    Pandora-Music App
    Shazam-tags music and tells you the artist.
    Gmail Unread Count-the way it should have been.
    Carrr Matey-haven't been able to use this yet for its purpose, cool concept.

I am running 2.1, some may or may not work on the 1.5. For instance, TV.com works on 1.5 but not on 2.1, I miss that app :( I am pretty sure that Gesture does not work on 1.5.

16. false_apology

false_apology Well-Known Member

Shazam - phone will tell you the song title from the audio alone
    SportyPal - track outdoor workouts via Gps, really fun if you jog or cycle
    Google goggles - (2.1 only, I think) identify pictures using google
    Google Listen - free pod-catcher app
    Shoot u - fun physics based game with neat graphics
    Toon Wars - fps w/ multitouch, but kind of lags on the Eris
    AndWobble - uses the motion sensor to "jiggle" part of an image
    ChompSMS - better text mesage client

that should get you started...

Sk0t24 likes this.
  17. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member

Must have apps that I use are:

No particular order.

1. 3banana notes

Great for writing stuff down you need to know or remember. I use it for song writing & music stuff I need to know. Because I'm a song writer & producer

2. Audio Manager

Great widget for accessing & changing your audio levels

3. Handcent sms, Or Chomp sms

Both are a lot better then the default messanger. Love the pop-up on handcent. Great for multitasking

4. Bible

Always Gotta have because I'm a religious person & love the man upstairs :)

5. Runstar

Still in beta I think. A lot more is coming soon! I workout a lot. And if you do, this is the app for you! Times how long you run, tracks the elevation your on and the speed you run at on a graph, shows how many miles you've run in a month, you can set goals for a month on how many miles you wanna run in that month, also shows you run via Google maps which is way cool, and finally last but not least (my fav) if you have music on your phone you can set playlists on runstar while you run.

6. Lookout security

Run virus scans on your phone, backup contacts & pics onto there website and if you lose em all just log on to lookout.com hook your phone to your computer and let it put them back on. Also if you lose your phone it will locate it via Google maps within a certain amount of feet. And if you lose it in your home you can go on the website and turn on this annoy ass sound that your phone will set off and you should be able to find it.

7. Movies

Great app for movies. see what's playing at a theaters near you. see upcoming movies, and ones playing now. see there rating. what people and critics think! I use this app a ton! mostly to check on movies I'm thinking of watching, and to see if there worth my time.

8. Sports Tap

Great Sports App. Has a awesome widget. Add your favorite teams and get updates on there game scores and news. has mostly all sports to check on.

Other notables:

Places directory
    Save mms
    Yellow-book
    Where
    Color Dictionary
    Google translate
    Astro file manager

flailer likes this.
  18. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The last I saw, isn't this just a front end to the web site? Rather than an app, why not just bookmark the site and put an icon on the desktop? Or, have they changed it so that it is all contained in an app?

19. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Its not a weblink its an actual application that access's your account info within the app.

20. 5.0

5.0 Member

How do I enable the severe alerts and allow it to follow me? How do you use a large widget? I'm currently using a 1/16 size thing.

21. Sk0t24

Sk0t24 Active Member

Thanks! I've been looking for a replacement for my beloved ragdoll blaster.

jetmdt likes this.
  22. timmywa

timmywa Well-Known Member

23. usedtobeanyer

usedtobeanyer Well-Known Member

Regarding the Weatherbug Elite widget, I do like it but I'm not clear how to replace the weather widget that comes with the phone on the home screen. When I try and remove it, it removes both the clock and the weather widget. I only want to remove the weather and replace it with the WB Elite widget. Any idea how this is done, thanks.

24. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

You have to remove the big widget by dragging it into the remove bar at the bottom of the screen. You can then add an HTC clock widget, it allows you to choose one of about a dozen styles and one is small and only takes up 2 squares on the screen. To use the weather bug elite widget you need to have the paid version (of course) and you'll need an entire line (4 icon spots) available on the screen to use it. I have taken the clock widget off my home screen altogether, the clock is located at the top and i don't need a widget to make it bigger and take up space and then across the top of the screen i use the weatherbug elite widget. It shows the current weather and about 3 more days worth of forecasts. To launch the app just click the widget.

25. lilbballer27

These are all great suggestions guys thanks. i am having one problem with handcent tho. on the icon on my home screen it wont say the number of text i have like 1 or 2. any idea y?