must have incredible appsTips

Last Updated:

1. elroy jetson

elroy jetson Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    I am new to the android community. Been using winmobile for years, but the specs on the incredible are just nice to pass up.
    My primary use will be work, ton's of spreadsheets and pdf's to review. I also tether a good deal.
    I guess what I am looking for is advice on the must have app's to have a seamless transition as possible to android.

What I have found I need are:

Documents to go
    document scanner
    wifi tether
    flashlight

any other suggestions would be appreciated. One other concern I do have is whether the Incredible will be able to sync contacts, email, notes, etc., with MS Outlook on my pc. VZW said yes but they have been wrong before whaen i have asked specifics.

thanks in advance for your replies.
    -elroy jetson

Advertisement
  2. sisyphus

sisyphus New Member

https://www.dropbox.com/ might help you keep documents organized. You get about 2 gigs that you'll be able to access anywhere. Great site and they have an android app.

3. malice

malice Well-Known Member

4. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

I've seen in several places that you can sync Outlook through USB with the HTC Sync desktop software. Although it might be just contacts and calendar.

As far as Docs to Go, The DI comes with Quick Office, which lets you see, but not edit, Office files. I'd try that first to see how it works, it's what I'm going to do. But DocstoGo lite is free, so it'd be nice to compare the two.

I believe you can open PDFs out of the box, but there are several free apps if you don't. Hopefully it has pinch to zoom and good resolution, because I read a lot of PDFs too.

5. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

The first things I install next Thursday will be:

The Weather Channel
    Barcode Scanner
    Google Sky Map
    PDANet
    eBuddy
    Speed Test
    Craigslistnotifica
    NewsRob

6. carooster

carooster Member

I'm new to Android (and smartphones), what does the barcode scanner do?

7. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

The barcode scanner uses your camera to scan a barcode on a product. It then will search for that item and the best prices for it at various stores and such.

ssddyakno, cazahollis and carooster like this.
  8. Nimbus79

Nimbus79 Well-Known Member

It's really cool a friend of mine has it on his iphone... basically when your out shopping for something say the latest game you can load the app and take a photo of the barcode. the app accesses the onboard camera and puts a red laser line over the center of the shot. take a photo of the barcode and it will then look up the product and give you prices at other stores!

very useful! especially if you want the best prices when your out and about.

carooster likes this.
  9. Reprobate

Reprobate Active Member

10. Evil Sports

Evil Sports Well-Known Member

swype

11. elroy jetson

elroy jetson Active Member This Topic's Starter

the files for swype are still out there. I have a samsung omnia, then upgraded to the omnia 2 and loved the phone and swype, but even with samsung's ui disabled i felt it was too slow for the price and took it back and found a cab to swype on my omnia and love it. I know there are similar programs out there, but i can't imagine texting w/o swype

12. Tony Touch

Tony Touch Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons I'm upgrading to a smart phone is so I can get the DirecTV NFL SuperCast app. As long as you have NFL Sunday Ticket + SuperFan, you can watch any Sunday afternoon NFL game on your phone. This is pure heaven when I'm out of town and can't be in front of my big screen.

And add to this, Verizon just got NFL Mobile..so I can watch Thurs and Sun night games on my Incredible too.

13. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

By the way, a writer at ZDNet told me that when he talked to his Verizon contact, he told him that Skype will be out for the Incredible and hopefully at launch. :)

Mahalo likes this.
  14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Wireless tethering is only available if you root your phone, which won't be possible for the first couple months. EasyTether will get you by until then, its $10 and allows you to share your connection with any laptop via the usb cord.

15. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

There is another, reason for using the barcode scanner, and the primary reason I do it. You can scan QR codes to get info, or to download a new app as well.

16. b.kllewis

b.kllewis Member

I'm also new so go a bit easy on me. I was checking out pocketnow.com and I ran across this app. Its called Wheres My Droid. It looks pretty sweet. Its able to tun your phone volume up if you cant find it and left it on silent. Also if you lose it you can text/email it and it will send you the lat. and long. I'm definitely going to get this when I get my incredible.

Android Market Pick: Where's My Droid

Old Member likes this.
  17. tifozi

tifozi Well-Known Member

Anyone recommendations for VPN app? I have to use Contivity for work and it would be great if there is a decent VPN app :)

18. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

Holy crap, how did this thread become such a magnet for spammers? They must google for any thread with "app" in the title on any forum and automatically post their POS wares.

My first app downloads:

google sky
    rhapsody (yeah, that's right, i like the new music playlist option)
    google earth
    google goggles
    google voice
    shazam
    Swype!!!! (been holding on to the beta for a while now)

leorabgood likes this.
  19. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Quickoffice won't do Office 2007 or higher. Documentstogo is nice, but the lite version likes to tease you by offering full functionality and prompting you to purchase whenever you try to do anything from the full app. Still, it's the best option for Office 2007.

My "must haves" are:
    Swype
    Handcent
    3Banana
    Astro File Manager
    Barcode Scanner
    Google Gesture Search

I'm also a big fan of:
    Assistant Free
    Car Locator ($)
    Google Goggles
    SystemPanel
    Flixster
    My Tracks
    Shazam

Finally, for me, a lot of the value in my Droid comes from being able to interact with data on my home PC's and WHS, so I have:
    Subsonic
    SugarSync
    Remote Desktop

20. jazztalker

jazztalker Well-Known Member

I seem to remember coming across some talk of an app that would change the profile (Scene I think they call it on this phone) based upon your GPS location.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? What app is that? Does it work pretty well? I think it would be awesome to walk out of the office and have my phone automatically change from vibrate to ring, I forget to do that sometimes, and my gf is less than happy with me when I do :)

21. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Do you know this for sure on the Incredible? That sucks it doesn't do 2007. Even my BB Storm let me edit 2007 documents, but I couldn't create them, which wasn't a big deal.

22. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member

you are looking for Locale

jazztalker likes this.
  23. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

24. jazztalker

jazztalker Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks! Does that work pretty well?

25. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member