Mute ringer on momentSupport

Last Updated:

1. tbag1122

tbag1122 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I've looked through these forums a lot and haven't ran in to this question yet. On my old flip phone when i got a call or text message with ringer on i could just hit the volume rocker and it shuts it up when i don't wanna take the call or message. On the moment i don't have that option. I have to hit end button, then menu, and then slide the notification bar down to shut it up. This be kind of annoying, especially when I'm in a meeting and forget to silence my phone before hand. There's a lot of times when i can't answer my phone and would love to reach in my pocket and hit volume button once to shut it up. So i guess what I'm asking is if there is a setting for this that i'm missing, or a different button that does the same. Or maybe an app out there that can help me.

thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Hold down the end button until a pop up appears. It will give you a choice to mute the phone, or put it in airplane mode, or shut down.

3. tbag1122

Not really what I'm looking for. If I'm going to take the time to take the phone out and go through the steps on putting it on silent I might as well look at my text or take or ignore the call. Like I said i want to just reach in my pocket and hit the volume button or something and quite the phone for that call or text without having to look at it. I'm really not allowed to take personnel calls when I'm at work. I take calls anyways, cause who follows the rules. But when the boss is around I'm not gonna take that call. Plus if I'm talking with someone in person i feel it's rude to take a call or be reading text so i'd like to mute phone temporarily. Plus I have certain ring tones for different contacts so it's a way of screening my calls.

4. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

Have you tried just pressing the volume button when it is ringing like you did on your flip phone? That's how I mute my ringer on the Moment. I'm curious why that wouldn't work on yours.

5. tbag1122

That's the first thing i tried. In fact i just sent myself a text from my email to check it again just to make sure i wasn't crazy and doesn't mute it. The screen stays off also. I'm using handcent sms in case that helps. And i don't have the pop ups enabled.

6. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Hitting the volume buttons does work to silence a call. Are you using a long ringer for text messages? My notifications are so short, they'd be over by the time I'd try to silence them.

7. tbag1122

well it's not muting it. been trying different setting all morning within handcent sms and nothing. Yes my ring tones are rather long and loud for that matter. I make my own ring tones on computer from my mp3, and I usually try to make them around 27 seconds long.

8. tbag1122

as far as silencing a call I guess I'm not really sure if it works on that. I don't think I've ignored and calls since Ive had this phone (which is a few weeks). Just assumed it didn't work for both. I'll try to silence a call when someone calls me to confirm that one.

thanks.

9. dbpaddler

wow..27 second notification for a text msg? that's different.

10. tbag1122

Well I confirmed it does work with calls. I guess I'm gonna have to deal with the notification one unless someone comes up with something. And I better take off that dirty ringtone i have set for my girlfriend. Don't want it going off in church or something. Yeah right church.

thanks everyone for your help.

11. Moment

Moment Well-Known Member

It's probably because the designers of the phone didn't think that anyone would use long ringers for notifications like text message and email alerts. Sorry man.

12. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

As I suspected, user error.

13. tbag1122

Well that was pretty rude. I guess I'll give ya user error as far as calls go, but how was i to know seeing as I never tried. For the text message how is that user error? My guess is, it's something the designer didn't think about when creating this phone.
    So my ringtones for sms are long, I like music what can I say. It's all about customization right?

14. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

lol I probably get something like 50-100 texts a day from friends and such. If my text notification was any longer than the quarter of a second "blip" (actually it's a sound from the original Legend of Zelda that you hear whenever Link grabs a rupee, lol) I think I'd want to punch a wall. Even if I didn't get annoyed by it, I'm sure my friends and coworkers would lol. But as you say, to each their own!

15. tutt

tutt New Member

I also really need a feature where the volume buttons can mute the notification ringer. I use the phone for business and get important texts that need to be long and loud enough to wake me up. The lack of an easy way to silence them is a major downside for me.

16. kvanduzy

kvanduzy Member

I am in the same boat tbag. I customized my sms ringer (with your help on the other thread) and I can't find an easy solution to silence it either. Weird. I too use Handcent, so maybe that's it. But let me know if you find a way.

17. kvanduzy

kvanduzy Member

Hey, I just tried something and it works better than anything else so far. If you press and hold the volume down button it quickly mutes. Not as fast as just being able to tap it, but only about a second longer. But then you have to remember to turn your volume back up b/c you have muted your ringer.

18. tutt

tutt New Member

I can confirm that it is not limited to Handcent. In fact, the reason I tried handscent was to see if it had extra options to mute the notification ringer. The only way to do it is to press the red ON button, MENU to unlock and then pull down the notification bar. It really needs a way to use the side buttons instead.

19. tbag1122

Well I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one. I felt like i got a lot of ridicule over this. And I haven't found a solution yet, just dealing with it. As far as holding volume down yeah that kinda works but don't you still have to unlock it to do that? I can't remember for sure. I'll try it out later. But if i still have to unlock it with end/menu then might as well slide notification bar down. Thanks.

20. dbpaddler

No, you don't.

21. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

My friend always has songs set for her text notification. It's very annoying, especially when I'm with her all day! ;)

22. tbag1122

Well so I tried it and no it didn't work, but I didn't give up. I decided to enable my pop ups with no restrictions and then it worked. So I thank you again for your help, I appreciate it. This is definitely better than going through all the steps to quite it. I'm sure I'll forget to turn it back up and miss a call or two, but oh well.