• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Muted Galaxy

capricorn_tm

Lurker
Nov 24, 2009
Okay , here is what I have

I installed Fring on my Galaxy and it did some strange tricks , now my phone is in a state in wich it is completely muted ( no sounds, cannot call and cannot hear) and have to use a headset to use it.

I'm sure it is Fring, because as soon I make a fring call test it works again and I can make and receive calls without headset ( no alerts nor loudspeaker though)

I will have to reset it to factory settings, but I have a series of doubts:

- Contacts: I have contacts from my sim card, some I added and some that come from Facebook/Gmail, now, I checked on the contacts and everything is there, which, I suppose, means that first time I rtestart a sync they'll be back, right?

- Internal data: Photos and MP3 are safe in the SD card, what else do I have to backup?

- Market apps: The market profile will allow me to redownload the apps that I had on the phone or is the profile locally stored? if so, were so that I can Backup it?

- A special issue: here in Belgium we do not have the paying market yet so we can only download the free apps. When i was in Italy I used an italian SIM card and bought a couple of apps.
I suppose there is no way i an get them back is there?

Thanks to anyone for the imput

if you have root (su) access you can use adb shell to back up your prepaid apps either via terminal or via windows console

for normal apps you can use a file manager like astro to back them up to your normal phone mass storage

as long as youve recently synced your contacts with gmail then it will have them all and pull it back down when you log back in after the wipe

all pics and mp3s will be saved as long as they are on the mass storage

Upvote 0
capricorn_tm try volume buttons. as i also installed fring and had similar problem as i think fring messes up with volume or the way it is produced. when i make a call on fring then it looks like the sound is coming from the loudspeaker but when i touch volume button then it only rings inside the phone as normal call. so don't know if it helps but try everything before doing factory reset

Upvote 0
capricorn_tm try volume buttons. as i also installed fring and had similar problem as i think fring messes up with volume or the way it is produced.

Nice to see I'm not alone then... Hummm... Nope not happy at all

when i make a call on fring then it looks like the sound is coming from the loudspeaker but when i touch volume button then it only rings inside the phone as normal call. so don't know if it helps but try everything before doing factory reset

The issue is more complicated, what you tell is right, but it happened at the beginning.

Now the situation is the following, if I do not activate Fring for first thing and do a call test, I cannot call at all without headset.

When I listen music with the headset and a call arrives I have to unhook the headset ( half the time) because it won't work or unhook and then hook them back because the mic does not work.

Loudspeakers simply are not even an option since they are grayed out.

No alarms from SMS, emails, Gtalk and apps. I cannot even select a different ringer tone because they do not sound and I have to put the headsets to hear them again.

I really cannot see any other option than a full reset and a restart.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
This may sound facetious, but you don't mention it - you have tried uninstalling Fring?

Not at alla stupid, I tried in fact.

Twice.

Each time I uninstall Fring I cannot anymore use the microphone and are limited to headsets.

Each time I switch the phone off and back on, I first have to do a test call to Fring to have the phone partially back.

So in fact, each time I uninstall Fring I have to install it back because it is the only thing that gives me partial phone use capability.

Upvote 0
Hi capricorn_tm,
I installed googgle listen and had similar problem, I eventually tracked it back to the headphone jack I found you had to take the plug out quickly, sometimes had to insert and pull out quite a few times until I got the gingle sound to tell me all was working again.Strange do'nt know if its hardware or software but I suspect a sticky jack socket. Hope this works for you

Upvote 0
Hi capricorn_tm,
I installed googgle listen and had similar problem, I eventually tracked it back to the headphone jack I found you had to take the plug out quickly, sometimes had to insert and pull out quite a few times until I got the gingle sound to tell me all was working again.Strange do'nt know if its hardware or software but I suspect a sticky jack socket. Hope this works for you
Could be the non-standard Samsung jack socket :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I confirm it lads,

After a factory reset it worked again, so i happily plug the headphones and go home listening to my music

As soon i arrive home I unplug and BAM back the issue.

Phone is now at the tech support and I'm back to a lousy GSM :( I want me baby back :((

Anyway, thanks to everyone that helped, I'll keep you posted . I'm changing this thread to [closed]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones