• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My 1st Venture . . .

Old Member

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
Cincinnati
Onto this board, I've spent all of my time on the Incredible forum. I (currently) have a HTC Incredible. I pre-ordered it and received it the day before it was released "officially". I LOVE my phone BUT, somehow I cracked the screen (without dropping it) and now it is ruined. I have Assurion insurance and checked to see, but there are NO Incredibles available until at least August 10th (which I believe will be much later than that in reality). I MAY be able to accept the Droid X instead once they are released. Objectively, what do you think, because to this point I've done very little research on the Droid X. Should I wait on the Incredible to come back into stock or should I go with the Droid X.

I LOVE HTC Sense UI. I know many people don't and love vanilla Android. I LOVE Friend Stream widget and the stock Twitter widget, as well as the Favorites and Calendar widgets found on the Incredible. I assume that there are similar widgets on MotoBlur (I know that's not what they are calling it on the X but from what I've heard it's very similar). Anyone have any thoughts on how the widgets stack up with the two devices.

Any input you can offer is appreciated.

X has a hump in the back and physical keys on the front. Also reports are it lags when switching screens. Stay away. Wait for Inc.
Most people have said they love the hardware keys because when the phone screws up they actual feel like they're getting reaction when they can press a physical key. It does not lag when it switches screens. The Inc is just much smoother to watch switch between two screens, but that will be fixed when 2.2 comes out. The big thing on the X for me will be the battery life, which is dismal on the INC. The X in the back has been no problem, and it's meant to protect the camera and keep the phone as thin as possible. It's your choice but I think you will love both phones.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Droid Eris....and personally, I don't think I will get another HTC phone. I like my phone fine, but they pump out so many new phones that it *seems* like build quality suffers...and due to the Sense UI, Android software updates take FOREVER to get pushed to your phone...and the battery life is poop status. Go for the Droid X. Better battery, faster speed, bigger screen, better camera....win win win win win.

Upvote 0
Onto this board, I've spent all of my time on the Incredible forum. I (currently) have a HTC Incredible. I pre-ordered it and received it the day before it was released "officially". I LOVE my phone BUT, somehow I cracked the screen (without dropping it) and now it is ruined. I have Assurion insurance and checked to see, but there are NO Incredibles available until at least August 10th (which I believe will be much later than that in reality). I MAY be able to accept the Droid X instead once they are released. Objectively, what do you think, because to this point I've done very little research on the Droid X. Should I wait on the Incredible to come back into stock or should I go with the Droid X.

I LOVE HTC Sense UI. I know many people don't and love vanilla Android. I LOVE Friend Stream widget and the stock Twitter widget, as well as the Favorites and Calendar widgets found on the Incredible. I assume that there are similar widgets on MotoBlur (I know that's not what they are calling it on the X but from what I've heard it's very similar). Anyone have any thoughts on how the widgets stack up with the two devices.

Any input you can offer is appreciated.

Im in pretty much the same situation as you except I was under my 30 days and my Incredible is defective. Im switching because this phone while its beautiful has been way to glitchy and left a bad taste in my mouth. I will not wait another month for a phone when i can get a superior phone in a week.

The reasons i think the X are superior are really personal preferences. I love Sense but that's something I can live without. I hate the screen size, too small and not great for texting/typing. I hate the touch buttons, they don't respond when phones being glitchy. I hate the trackball, basically useless. No designated camera button, very annoying to take pictures on. I could go on. But like i said personal preference.

Upvote 0
I just wrote a short review mostly comparing these two phones. I didn't really cover the UI that much though. Personally I think resizeable widgets are gonna ROCK. I have not developed a real love of the Sense yet, and I love to social network. I am using mostly 3rd party apps/widgets for those anyway. I Love my Inc... but after playing with the X, I'm gonna love it even more!

Upvote 0
I appreciate the opinions from everyone. I really need to research the X. I watched a couple of videos on youtube comparing the two and WOW the X is big. Holy cow, side by side with the Incredible it seems HUGE. I hadn't really paid any attention to it b/c I didn't expect to need another phone until next April (if then). Keep any feedback coming, I will keep checking this thread it really helps to hear what others that have researched a phone more than you think.

The battery has always been the ONLY thing I hated about my Incredible. No matter how much control I put into managing the phones apps and OS, it never seemed to perform well. Even after I bought the 2150 mAh, I was not totally impressed. How is battery life "REALLY" for the X? Has anyone been able to do a REAL world test yet? If you leave on 3G all the time, have your apps refreshing, etc, how long does it last?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones