• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My 2 1/2 week Android experiance

7upster

Oct 27, 2010
I love neat cell phones!!! Before I start I will list the phones that I have had since 2007

1st genration iphone
HTC Tilt
2nd G. iphone
blackberry curve
blackberry bold
3rd G. iphone
HTC tilt 2
Samsung mytic (what was i thinking)
3rd g. iphone
Samsung Captivate (1 and a half week)
Sony X10

So as you can see I have a deep phone history. I loved iphone but I was just so borad with it. So I decided I would grab an android phone. I enjoyed the Captivate but it was very laggy and kept frezzing, so I just could not take it anymore so then I got the X10 a few days ago. I can say it is a very smooth phone with no lag. But I hate the email system android has. Why do I have to get an app like k-9 to get my yahoo email. And don't even try to use it for work related emails. I tried to enjoy the android OS but I guess I am not all into the apps and stuff. I never did the app thing when I had my iphones either. I think these phones are good for teens and college aged people. I am damn near 30 and I guess i need more of a grown up phone so i will pick up a tourch tomorrow. So, it's been real android but I must say goodbye. So if you are thinking about an android I would try it out if you just want a phone to play with. If you want a big boy phone or a big women phone amdroid is not for you. If you are thinking of android or iphone I will tell you the truth iphone is the best phone you will find with no lag.

While I'm sure we all can appreciate what you are saying, others here also have a broad backround in Smartphones. I, for example, have had close to a dozen different Smartphones.

Personally I've found that Android is a vast improvement over all of the other Smartphones I've owned. The iPhone is a great phone if you want something that's going to look pretty much the same on day 1, day 365, and day 995. If you prefer IOS on the iPhone... more power to you! Personally I'd go back to a feature phone before I'd buy another iPhone...

Upvote 0
While I'm sure we all can appreciate what you are saying, others here also have a broad backround in Smartphones. I, for example, have had close to a dozen different Smartphones.

Personally I've found that Android is a vast improvement over all of the other Smartphones I've owned. The iPhone is a great phone if you want something that's going to look pretty much the same on day 1, day 365, and day 995. If you prefer IOS on the iPhone... more power to you! Personally I'd go back to a feature phone before I'd buy another iPhone...

I would have to completely agree with Martimus on this one. I have to say I appreciate the way your post is written. No flaming the android completely because you two are not compatible but a genuine opinion. Second I have to say that android is all about customization and finding your own way. That is not easy in any way when you do not understand the software. If you are looking for a dumbed down phone Iphone is great. IOS works out of the box without a problem and not that much settings or other things to mess with except the ugly wallpaper it comes with.

If you want a stable phone that can do everything which you are willing to go and read about and get some help with when you do not understand something. I would say android is perfect. I will give you an example until tonight I did not know how to dull down the intensity of my dual LED flash of my Evo so that I can make the perfect picture even in the dark. Well I read some reviews and posts and I found that this is exactly what the exposure option on the camera actually was for.

I have to warn you blackberry has not perfected their new smart phone and you will run into a lot of problems especially if you decide to use the phone for something other than email and other general functions. One problem I know it has is the inability to stream video to the damn phone. The internal media player lacks any kind of buffer so if you have only 2 bars in 3g zone you are out of luck because your video would be chopped up like a Turkey on Thanksgiving dinner.

Reactions: willuk1987
Upvote 0
Ok, the big boy big girl thing was unnecessary. I hope I like the tourch also. I think it will fit my needs better. I guess it is all about what one prefers. No knock on android just not for me. Not going back to iphone.

Perhaps another android experience would suit you better. HTC Sense that is on top of Android provides an awesome experience, and great applications and widgets (including a great mail application).

I have an HTC Desire and would never think about giving it up.

Upvote 0
I too have a long long history with smart phones.

No offense but Yahoo mail sucks balls (I have / had 2 accounts, now used for spam). I hate the new Yahoo mail UI. I can't scroll up and down on it. I ditched Yahoo mail to go to Gmail, which works 500% better.

Ditto for Hotmail. But Gmail > Hotmail > Yahoo mail. Get rid of the ancient and crappy yahoo mail.

Upvote 0
I love neat cell phones!!! Before I start I will list the phones that I have had since 2007

1st genration iphone
HTC Tilt
2nd G. iphone
blackberry curve
blackberry bold
3rd G. iphone
HTC tilt 2
Samsung mytic (what was i thinking)
3rd g. iphone
Samsung Captivate (1 and a half week)
Sony X10

So as you can see I have a deep phone history. I loved iphone but I was just so borad with it. So I decided I would grab an android phone. I enjoyed the Captivate but it was very laggy and kept frezzing, so I just could not take it anymore so then I got the X10 a few days ago. I can say it is a very smooth phone with no lag. But I hate the email system android has. Why do I have to get an app like k-9 to get my yahoo email. And don't even try to use it for work related emails. I tried to enjoy the android OS but I guess I am not all into the apps and stuff. I never did the app thing when I had my iphones either. I think these phones are good for teens and college aged people. I am damn near 30 and I guess i need more of a grown up phone so i will pick up a tourch tomorrow. So, it's been real android but I must say goodbye. So if you are thinking about an android I would try it out if you just want a phone to play with. If you want a big boy phone or a big women phone amdroid is not for you. If you are thinking of android or iphone I will tell you the truth iphone is the best phone you will find with no lag.

Bullshit. iOS is a dog out of the box. I've been a member of Apples iPhone Dev community since August of 2008 and all anyone who chooses to conform to Apples bullshit policy restrictions...is complain on the Dev forums....and it's been that way since I got a hold of iphone OS2.1

The Chinese manufactured hardware platforms that Apple cripples with it's code....is, in my opinion, a great Dev platform...but because iPhone devs live in a community where apple laid the ground work for standards across devices...there are things (lots and lots of things) apple doesn't get right....or refuse to change....and they get changed across all iOS devices by the people who are not Apple, because the hardware abstraction layer is similar across the board, and one exploit can affect millions....and millions of people on different models of iDevice, at the same time, and the experience will be similar.

Android isn't like that. Because google doesnt want to do phones....they want to sell ads...so they push it off on the OEM, and then the Operator service screws the phone up even more with their corporate customization.....but did you ever notice that ATT doesn't get to brand the iphone UI, it gets a one board plist script....tucked away in the settings.app....because ATT would have screwed up the phone in order to sell more stuff...

The Galaxy is rock solid with android on it. I've played with an associates developer unit. but I haven't gotten to personally experience a carrier branded device, which are always made ugly and bloated and slow because of all that 3rd party bs they want you to buy.

You should have tried to flash some vanilla froyo or whatever they call the generic firmware before it gets the carrier plist and operator library, or whatever google names it.

Android isn't the Problem....anarchy, which also happens to be the purest form of freedom, is the problem. Droid sucks for some, but not for others because the rules are there ain't no rules...even Motorola is whining like a little girl for qc standards between their FW usage...they are code signing android installs at the firmware level....because they saw apple do it and thought 'we should be stupid, just like apple'

If you think that iPhones are great when they leave Foxconn in the little crApple boxes, with those stupid crApple stickers in them....

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

...then you don't know what an I-phone is...what they give you is their-phone they way they say you want it.

The Cydia community had CnP, task switching, we had Video Camera, our Mod community had user customizable alerts and UI modification, gesture launching, wifi and bluetooth 3G bridges...we even have flash (which actually does suck for a touch interface) screen recording....wireless syncing....hell, you still cant do a write to the directory...you cnat even really save an email binary...or open a file...or install a piece of software unless Apple gives you permission, we do....alll before Apple did or will.....or won't, because most are fine with the status quo...because apple makes it hard for anyone to think different when they all have the same thing, and aren't allowed to have anything else.

But android isn't for you, because you feel its UI is a little slow. Thats a decent reason not to have one.

I dont have one (not a real one, just an install on an iphone) ....not for me because I don't live in a trailer park eating government cheese an....Nahhhhh I'm just playing....except about iPhone really is a special kind of stupid on stock firmware. It doesn't break much because it doesn't let the User change anything...and they totally reject any notion that a non apple developer could make their design more capable, less redundant and better performing....but they don't want to spend all day answering questions from really lazy customers who won't or don't read, and want help to browse the internets on their phone......so they hired the Mall to do it for them....and it worked.

Btw, HTC didn't make a 'tilt' Its name was Kaiser until ATT turned it into a ******, HTC makes the best mobile computing platforms when taking into accept their policy flexibility on customer suggestions....I loved my wizard and my kaiser, but hated WMx, until I found XDA Developers.

I bet I really like my iphone4 when they get open iboot up on a good handset.

Then I can have my own little iPhone fan boy vs googlesheep debates all by my self...

Upvote 0
I'm over 30....I have an X. This phone seems grown up enough to me. I hear that complaint from BlackBerry users alot, calling it a toy cuz Android phones dont do this or that like a BlackBerry does.

Since using Android phones (the Droid 1 and now the X) it bought order to my little world. Things I couldnt do on my old Win Mo or it was a pain to do Android made it easier. Especially free GPS. I gave up on trying to get it working on my Omnia 1.

I guess I'm a little boy in an over 30 body.....but the beauty of it is if you get a phone you dont like, there a many choices to choose from. Blackberries, Android, Win Mo/WP7, Palm, iPhones...get whatever u feel is the best and u will be fine..

Btw, just because a phone doesnt do a few things better or at all like another phone doesnt make it a toy....it just doesnt do those thing better or at all....

Upvote 0
Great post, rambles in just the right direction. I too have a short experience with these things. Started with a Kyocera 6035, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Centro, Treo 800W, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Evo. Gosh, I had 2 more that I am braining out on. Anyway, each of these phones were used for work right from the get-go. The Kyocera 6035 showed me it could be done in a combined platform and each one did it better than the one before it. Each had issues, but I learned to cope and enjoyed each device. Of the group, the Centros I had were the best for me - size and capability. The only reason I left the Centro was my "desire" (not need) for multitasking. Of the multi-tasking devices, the Touch Pro 2 for me was rock solid and did everything I needed it to do. The Evo came out and I liked the specs. I was not crazy about no keyboard, but made the leap and immediately hated the Evo (the on-screen keyboard caused that hatred). I found a replacement keyboard and am now happy with it. It is used for hours at a time with spreadsheets, HanDBase, email, et cetera and it works very well. The Bluefart implementation has issues also, but I have adjusted to them. I am able to move work related files around, receive PUSH email, Exfart emaill and all that other stuff with no problems at all.

Oh, well.

Then I can have my own little iPhone fan boy vs googlesheep debates all by my self...

Upvote 0

I sigh when i read things like this. I'm sorry but almost everyone here roots there phones, so why on the subject of iphone do we not talk jailbreaks?

On of my biggest complaints against android is how much more i can theme a iphone.

look:

5176486677_ec889bed21.jpg
5177294482_f20752edc3.jpg
5158440237_f9d1244ba7.jpg
5177293754_e839fd47c5.jpg

Flickr: jessedegenerate's Photostream <-- my photo stream.

I would have more android pictures up there, but I un did my root so i can't SS right now without the freaking entire SDK.

Add all that to the fact that it runs faster than my incredible when hacked up the wazoo...

Upvote 0
The OP to me seems like a troll hiding behind some nicer words. Clearly the last paragraph or to was written to incite anger amongst android users...

I hate this about android users more than anything else. As someone with copious experience with the Evo, Droid (OG), HTC incredible (currently own) Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone (OG-4)

HE'S RIGHT.

it's called open gl es. video acceleration, Pray to the google gods it makes it through in 2.3. I want it as much as you. People who think there is nothing wrong with their platform are the trolls.

One thing that apple got right, was accelerating that desktop, which they did since 2007, which is why my 2g iphone, also has smoother scrolling than my Droid incredible.

Upvote 0
I sigh when i read things like this. I'm sorry but almost everyone here roots there phones, so why on the subject of iphone do we not talk jailbreaks? .........

because not everyone roots their phone. but they can still customize it to their likings in almost any way that want. but you can't do that with an iPhone. You pretty much HAVE to jailbreak if you want to customize it. and how much you wanna bet that i can make my captivate look JUST like your iPhone (the UI i mean) w/o having to root at all. the fact is android is known to allow more customization than iPhone (which allows one) out of the box. and if you root your android, the limit to what you can do with your phone is pretty much limitless. however, this can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if the user knows what he/she is doing.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I sigh when i read things like this. I'm sorry but almost everyone here roots there phones, so why on the subject of iphone do we not talk jailbreaks?

On of my biggest complaints against android is how much more i can theme a iphone.

look:

5176486677_ec889bed21.jpg
5177294482_f20752edc3.jpg
5158440237_f9d1244ba7.jpg
5177293754_e839fd47c5.jpg

Flickr: jessedegenerate's Photostream <-- my photo stream.

I would have more android pictures up there, but I un did my root so i can't SS right now without the freaking entire SDK.

Add all that to the fact that it runs faster than my incredible when hacked up the wazoo...

Oh lol, look it's an iPhone trying to be HTC Sense. D'awwwwww isn't that kyoooooote. And hey, take a look:

snap20101115_142746.png
snap20101104_174710.png
t04wao.jpg
8ukfb41utfdyio7f7kir.png

Know the best part about this? Apart from the status bar, these looks can be achieved without needing to root the devices. Derp, derp, derrrrrp. Sorry darling, but when it comes to customization iPhones shouldn't even try to compete. Not having native out-of-the-box widget support sucks, doesn't it, Mr Troll?

Upvote 0
I didn't say you couldn't theme on Android. I'm saying theme development is alot more mature on iOS side, (and complete, with kids theming most iOS apps etc.) And it is. (hint, ios people have been doing it for longer) (modmyi.com)

You said yourself, you can't mod the status bar without rooting. You say yourself rooting opens up a whole new realm of possibilities that the carriers are saving you from,

so does jailbreaking. Why we all do it.

Apple is scared of me ruining there "user experience" verizon is scared of you "removing get it now apps" etc.

Why shouldn't iOS "not even try to compete"? We have live html 5 workin on any springboard and lock screen. You can't beat that. (although you can match it:D)

Again, i own a HTC incredible, I just more relegate it to wifi hotspot position, and to keep me in the froyo loop. And there are things that iOS NEEEDS from froyo, namely widgets on springboards - and the ability to use a springboard for anything from twitter to a mp3 widget. Can't say this is really a Android thing though, as it was webos's defining feature.

at the end of the day, i don't really care what any company says over what i buy. (this is not just a comment about apple, it's also to Verizon, and to a lesser extent HTC) And i'm going to use the device with the best apps that fits me most, as are you.

stop frothing at the mouth! Everyone needs a devils advocate:D You would all be using "get it now" to get your apps without the iphone:D

Upvote 0
I have to agree that Blackberry kicks patootie when it comes to managing multiple email accounts. I was a diehard BB fan before my Android, because of this one feature.

The Android OS absolutely lacks some "polish and finish" out of the box, when compared to some other OS functions.

After I spent about 2 weeks tweaking, moving, customizing, etc. the phone finally looks, feels, and works the way I want it to. Yes, its annoying the email isn't all that great, especially when its "developers" own one of the better email platforms out there.

But the rest of the phone's abilities Just. Plain. Rock. compared to my Blackberry and iPod/iPhone.

Good luck to ya, OP. Hope it works out for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones