My 2 centsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. PJK

PJK Member This Topic's Starter

Why did I but a Google based phone and have to install third party apps for Google Reader and Google Docs? Just my rant, sorry if it bothers you!!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Charlie81

Charlie81 Well-Known Member

Agree. Completely. I chalk it up to them being all over the place with services. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. And on the other end of the spectrum Apple's system doesn't give much developers freedom.

3. smacky

smacky Banned

Good question. I always wondered myself why it wasn't like Apple's iPhone where Safari, iTunes, etc. were on there, why Google didn't include Chrome Mobile, Maps, and Voice.

Probably in agreement with carriers in case they started taking bites out of the carrier's money with their free and better apps. You could still get it, but you'd have to look for it and most people don't do that.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

On the other hand, read some of the threads where people complain about the apps that come pre-installed on the phone, and how they are never going to use such-and-so app.

It's a classic case of 'you can't please everyone...'

5. PJK

Agreed. But you would think a Google phone would have Google apps. It is their bread and butter. I have never touched or held an iphone. Does the iphone come w/ apple apps? I was just curious. Thanks

6. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

i use google reader on my desktop for all feeds. anyone have a good app for eris that syncs with my google reader desktop version. if i read from device, it shows read back home on computer, etc...?

7. smacky

smacky Banned

I don't think so. It has a link to the Apple Store and the iTunes store. The browser is called Safari, but that's about it. Apple doesn't make email like Gmail, or something similar to Google Voice (actually, Google "Google Voice for iPhone"), and has nothing like Google Maps.

Then again, the pre-installed apps on the phone have nothing to do with Google, or at least the ones people complain about. I doubt anyone complains about Google Maps. Most probably don't want visual mail, or the Amazon crap, or stocks, Footprints, or Quickoffice. But it has nothing to do with Google.

I'm sure there's a reason, and it's mostly the carrier trying to prevent Google from providing free services the carrier charges for otherwise.

8. PJK

GDOCS, found in the market is what I am using Not to bad. Gets the job done.

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Not to be argumentative, but they are a search engine/advertising company. That is their bread and butter. The only reason that any of this other stuff exists and is available for free to the general public is so they have more avenues to advertise with. They make their money through search engine marketers, not free applications.