• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My BLU Studio 5.3 S review

Pros:
*Cheap
*Great gaming machine!
*5.3inch Screen (Big screen lovers)
*Comfortable in hand

Cons:
*Bad Bad camera for this (supposed to be) top notch phone!
*Low volume when speaking (The speaker is fine)
*Low volume when listening to music with earphones
*Bluetooth problems

I purchased the phone at Amazon using a third party website (to take care for the shipping to my country), I have it for a week now and this is my impression so far.

I'll start with the good and end with the bad:
Good
:)
*It has a giant 5.3 inch screen and it is clear and colorful in any angel.
*the phone react to touch perfectly and run smoothly.
*The Wifi is pretty good, fast and no problems so far.
*This one is a gaming machine! run's everything with a good fps ratio, you can play anything.(Benchmark show its catching up with HTC ONE X)

Bad
:(
*Camera - the one thing you hope that at least will take fine pictures - its the worst!
there are stripes on the sides in pictures and videos, shows a low quality camera, pretty bummer. I even had LOW FPS when shotting a 720p video.. who heard of that
*Bluetooth - Checked once, connected it to a Bluetooth music box and after a few seconds it started to sound jerky and I couldn't stop it what ever i tried to do. I will need to recheck.
*GPS - Tried using a GPS without an internet connection, took a few good minutes to catch up, but never went off since.
*You can count the amount of accessories for this phone on one hand.

Feel free to ask anything.

EDIT:
October 5, 2013

A short update, video recording has maybe the worst capabilities, so much noise(unclear - not audio) in the video it make you wonder if the camera was the last thing hey were thinking about at "BLU Products".

Check out this video I shooted today at 720p:
Maya play soccer - YouTube

Reactions: scary alien
It may come as a surprise, but this phone is just a rebrand from another Chinese phone. CT Miami is just the American arm of CT Asia/CT China. Chances are this phone will never see an official update to 4.3 let alone 4.4 and since it uses the Mediatek SOC custom builds to bring it up to a later version of Android are a pipe dream (MT is so closed source Microsoft would even be offended).

What I'm saying is that you'll likely never see an official update to fix these issues. You also may never see the community being able to do it either.

I seriously hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
It may come as a surprise, but this phone is just a rebrand from another Chinese phone. CT Miami is just the American arm of CT Asia/CT China. Chances are this phone will never see an official update to 4.3 let alone 4.4 and since it uses the Mediatek SOC custom builds to bring it up to a later version of Android are a pipe dream (MT is so closed source Microsoft would even be offended).

What I'm saying is that you'll likely never see an official update to fix these issues. You also may never see the community being able to do it either.

I seriously hope I'm wrong.

Flashing it should do the job, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones