My brother wants 2.1 too... should I root his Eris?

Last Updated:

1. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Droid, which I just rooted and run 2.1 on currently. He is extremely jealous of this now and wants 2.1 asap. He isn't a huge phone geeky guy like I am though. When it comes to troubleshooting he gets pretty lost (thats what happens when you *casually* use a Mac for so many years :D). He said he only wants me to do it if I am 100% postive that it will work with no errors. He wants me to just do it and never have to worry about it again. Which I think is unlikely. I know rooting the Eris is different from rooting the Droid, so should I go ahead and start looking into this? Or just tell him to wait?

Would it be worth it for him to take the risk? My thing is, i'm sure he will be 100% happy with the OTA... but who knows when that is coming.

Advertisement
  2. Schmidtrock

Schmidtrock Member

I think if he's a 'casual' user you'd be better off just flashing him to the new 2.1 leak. If you root it for him and he gets in somewhere he shouldn't be well...

Just my opinion of course.

3. jrz24

jrz24 Member

If you follow any one of the post that have a sticky, then you will be fine! the hardest part is just getting the nerve to do it! Good luck and i hope your brother will enjoy.(I know i am!)

4. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

x2

5. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I'd root him, if you're going to manage the phone for him.

If it gets messed up, flash the NON-root version.

It won't be a big deal. Better to Root than not to Root.

6. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

I'm rooting my friends phone that knows nothing about tech stuff but he knows how to read. So I am doing the hard stuff for him and other than downloading apps and lil stuff like that, I dont see a reason he could mess it up. Same should go for your brother...unless he cant read. He can read right? ;)

7. acidbath5546

acidbath5546 Well-Known Member

8. dandaman96

dandaman96 Member

My thoughts exactly. If he's the type that's going to screw something up, I'd rather have the capabilities to use the root access to troubleshoot and fix any issues that come up.

And... There is much more you can do w/ a rooted phone. If I was a tech dummy, I asked a buddy to set my phone up, and then I find something cool that I want only to have that buddy tell me I can't have it because he didn't root my phone, I'd be peeved. Luckily, I'm not a tech dummy, only a novice... ;)

Root it!!