• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My calls all sound auto-tuned. Help please!

I noticed this a little in my area where the Sensorly coverage map shows 4 LTE upgrades in process or completed. My guess is that the "auto-tune" effect is a by-product of new equipment. I hope it works itself out. A link to the Sensorly site:

Coverage Maps | Sensorly

Note: use the Sprint 4G map criteria.

Using Sprints 4G map might not be a good idea. They most likely show roaming in there map and VM does not get that. So yes Vm and Boostmobiles coverage are Sprints without roaming.

Upvote 0
My wife and I have been having this issue since 10/18 (Kalamazoo, MI) and it's absurd. Not sure if everyone elses is this intense, but it's not just annoying autotuny, you cannot have a conversation. Calling them, on other phones of course, and emailing doesn't seem to get the point across. I encourage anyone reading this to file a complaint at United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings as soon as that got processed I heard back right away from somebody from corporate at sprint. She was nice enough, but tried to tell me my area was green and that they upgraded towers in my area, and in the next 3 months they are upgrading two more. They overnighted me another optimus elite, got it today and what a shocker same issue. It's ridiculous for them to expect us to pay for service that is not functional. They're counting on people to just deal with this and it's unacceptable, so please file a complaint.

Upvote 0
I have had this issue for months. Optimus Elite. I had this problem earlier in 2013 as well. Calling Virgin Mobile the first time was utterly unhelpful, they basically said to buy a new phone after trying all of the typical silly "fixes" first. Ridiculous. All other audio quality is fine, it's just phone calls that sound "autotuned". The first time I got this problem, it went away by itself in a couple months. But now it's back. Grrrr. I find it very hard to believe this is a phone issue. Since VM support was no help I have no idea where else to go to complain about this. I'm in the Chicago south suburbs.

Upvote 0
I have had this issue for months. Optimus Elite. I had this problem earlier in 2013 as well. Calling Virgin Mobile the first time was utterly unhelpful, they basically said to buy a new phone after trying all of the typical silly "fixes" first. Ridiculous. All other audio quality is fine, it's just phone calls that sound "autotuned". The first time I got this problem, it went away by itself in a couple months. But now it's back. Grrrr. I find it very hard to believe this is a phone issue. Since VM support was no help I have no idea where else to go to complain about this. I'm in the Chicago south suburbs.

My issue with the auto-tuned calls worked itself out late last Fall. I assumed it was due to on-going tower upgrades in my area to get 4G LTE implemented.

Try emailing Virgin Mobile customer service. Be sure and provide a detailed list of the actions you have taken to resolve the problem. It may take some time for them to research the issue and get back to you. The email customer service reps are not the same techs as the phone reps, and seem to have more authority do get things done.

I do not know how long you have had the Elite, but request a replacement if they cannot get the problem resolved. They have relaxed their replacement replacement policy a bit lately to retain customers.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
I also have this problem and noticed it immediately when I got my new phone yesterday, a quick search yielded this thread.

I live in the Dubuque IA area but I will be traveling up to Eau Claire, WI in the next few weeks, so we'll see if the call quality improves by moving to another area. If I get the same issue I guess I'll document everything and email VM?

Hopefully this gets fixed. Beyond annoyed that I spent all this money on a phone and can't understand anyone on the other end -.-

Upvote 0
Still Auto-tuning since Nov. I'm on my 3rd replacement phone with the same issue. At least I've gotten really good at backing up and restoring my phone. VM is of no help. They just keep trying to send me replacement phones or tell me that my tower is being repaired. Heck, they even gave me a repair time for the tower down to the second! Let's just say those times have come and gone. I have gotten them to give me 2 months of service credit. With the money I think I'm going to get a different phone. Hopefully the Optimus F3 doesn't have the same issue (4G phone and all).

Upvote 0
So after being on the phone for about 10-15 minutes today I realized that the voice quality suddenly fixed itself. Made another call and it's back to doing the same thing? Seems that after awhile on a long call the quality improves. No idea what that's all about. Has anybody tried using a bluetooth headset or wired headset to correct the problem? I want to make sure it's not just the speaker....

Upvote 0
All my phones have done it thru the ear piece, Bluetooth or a wire connection (thru headphone jack).

I suspect it is actually a software/hardware issue with the LG phone and the Sprint network. Sprint is probably throttling the connections back and the phone is amplifying the issue. This is why every phone that they send me (on my 4th phone) has the exact same issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones