my captivate running too hotSupport

Last Updated:

1. randy_c

randy_c Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It run too hot when making call. I can feel the heat on my ear...:mad: anyone has the same problem? do I get a defective one?

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

they get hot, mine gets up to 115 when playing games or something and thats normal. its pretty hot but thats just the way it is i guess

3. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

Mine does not get hot while on a call, not that I notice. I have had phones in the past that did this and they were defective. If you are within your return period take it back and have it replaced. Everything runs hot while playing games. Calls should not make the phone hot, imo. Call AT&T and ask them. I don't think this is normal.

4. born_fisherman

born_fisherman Well-Known Member

Are you running the stock firmware? Do you have any third party apps installed?

If the phone is completely stock and is burning your ear, you need to return it.

My first Captivate was overheating and draining the battery (stock) - The 2nd phone didn't get hot after an hour long voicecall, my 3rd captivate got hot (stock), and now I'm on my 4th phone - I tested the phone at AT&T - after 8 minutes, the temp was warm, but not HOT - I did some app installs over the weekend, did a firmware flash, and noticed the phone was getting hot again.. I reflashed the firmware to stock last night - Charged the phone fully overnight - After a 10min call this morning, the phone was not hot.

So, not sure if a third party app or flashing the firmware has caused this problem or not, but it seems to have been fixed (at least this morning) by going back to a bare phone

Current apps installed:
    Facebook / Launcher Pro / Home Switcher/ ATK

I can update later today once I'm on a voice call for longer than 5 minutes - I have another post on here about Voice calls and battery temperature and it shows my log of the temperature after so many minutes.

But it does only happen when the voice call is going through the ear piece - if speakerphone is on, it does not reach high temperatures

Also - I have turned the phone off after the batter widget/app showed 117 degrees, and removed the battery - The battery itself did not feel as hot as the phone did near the ear piece..

5. sundaybiker

sundaybiker Member

Mine gets hot too, first I thought that an app hangs or the GPS stays on after closing the app I'm using, but I uninstalled some apps and turned off GPS and it's still doing it, not sure what the problems is

6. St_G

St_G Active Member

No heat here.

7. BoulderGeek

BoulderGeek Banned

Wow, four phone replacements?

How many times do you think one should have to try to get a working product?

You _really_ must like the Captivate, or be married to AT&T.

I wouldn't give it more than one RMA before i dropped the hot potato.

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Maybe they're on a family plan and changing all their other phones to another carrier is impractical, especially if there are iPhones involved.

Maybe (like here), no other carrier comes close to the same amount of coverage.

Maybe in the grand scheme of things, 4 RMAs is less-painful than committing to years with some worse carrier such as Verizon, Sprint, etc.

Considering that a Captivate where all features are in working-order is by-far AT&T's best phone, it doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to picture a person being willing to go through several RMAs in order to get a good one.

9. lowlymarine

lowlymarine New Member

I have a ThinkPad T61 that I've had in for repairs at least 5 times. If you find a piece of technology you really love, it's hard to let go, even if the reliability is terrible.

Anyways, I came across this thread because I thought my Captivate was running a bit warm (about 42C/107F after extended gaming). I'm using a custom kernel+ROM and running at 1.2GHz, so the fact that my screen doesn't feel warm when I'm on a call suggests that if yours does at stock, it's definitely not normal.

10. 04blueep3

04blueep3 New Member

Any updates on this. I got my phone a few days ago, and i think that I have the same problem. Only after a 5 min. call , I could feel my ear getting warmer. (I had wifi on and non apps). Love the phone :), but I just want to make sure.

11. darkendandroid23

darkendandroid23 Well-Known Member

Mine was running very hot last night and everytime i wake up and i find my battery sometimes half dead but then i do wake up late in the aftertoon lol. I don't know it was running pretty hot the other night when i was just texting, i love swipe, and i can understand when you have a love for a certain tech i know how it feels hard to let it go.

12. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

any of u with the heat issues running setcpu?