My Captivate thinks it is charging all the timeSupport

Last Updated:

1. bigcountry25

bigcountry25 New Member This Topic's Starter

Here is my problem my phone thinks it is connected to the charger almost all the time. It doesn't matter if I charge using computer or wall charger. Also 99% of the time my computer will say device not reconized???? I have tried different USB Cables, computers and batteries. It is also next to impossible to get the device to come back on after it thinks it is still charging after I power it down.

I have tried 2.1 and 2.2 same problem also the only thing I haven't been able to try is a master clear Odin. Do you think the master clear might help?

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I am thinking it is a hardware issue I hope not because ATT was sending my a replacement and during the time I was waiting I dropped my phone face down on a rock and cracked the screen and they said I need to return the replacement or be charge close to 500 bones:eek:

Is there a way to replace the USB port on the phone?

Advertisement
  2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

welcome to the forum,

my friend has a vibrant and had the same issue (usb connected icon at the top all the time); so looking around to see what the issue was I found that it looks like a lot of people have this issue or simular, something to do with the usb port shorting out or getting crud on the tabs. You will have to go back to 100% stock, but you can try and have AT&T replace the phone under warrnaty. Best I can think of

3. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

If you are connected to a wall charger or to the USB, you *are* charging, so your phone is correct to think that.

If you mean the phone is showing you're charging when you're NOT connected to a charger, that is a problem.

It's possible that your drop exacerbated whatever internal probs you may have had with the charging port.

Due to the crack you don't qualify for warranty exchange.

You might just have to pay outright to repair the damage.

You're out of warranty anyway because of the cracked screen, so maybe some folks here can provide names of reputable phone repair companies that are reasonably priced. But reasonable could still mean a few hundred dollars, just so you are prepared.

I don't normally recommend insurance, but if you are typically klutzy and drop things *often*, and you don't usually have enough money to pay for repairs or a new phone out of your bank account, you may want to consider insuring your next smartphone.

4. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Missed that part:(; yea your warranty is gone and if you send back the broken one they will charge you the full price becasue of the cracked screen. You realy need to call AT&T and find out what the next step is becasue you have to send something back and if they get a phone they are not expecting back they will charge you.

Also as BookLover pointed out, if you have the usb unplugged from the cable, does it still show usb connected?

5. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

I have similaar issues...may be more wierd...I charge my phoone it says "battery full" i unplug it...it shows 100%, i plug charger again it goes back to 98% or 99%....in like a second....I have done that three steps to improve battery too..but still same

I had that USB stuck on notification bar for a day but i rebooted it and its gone....

6. bigcountry25

bigcountry25 New Member This Topic's Starter

It still says it is charging when the cable is unplugged from the phone and my computers will not reconize the the phone when I plug it in but it will charge it. Also they will find they phone when I am in download mode??? Kind of strange. I was hoping it could be a software issue but I think it needs a new motherboard to fix it. The phone still works great other than this problem. So as long as it keeps going I will take my time and try to find the parts for it or wait a few months and they will be cheaper online. What caused this whole problem was a faulty USB cable that a wire came loose and hit on another wires contact. It wasn't me dropping it that caused this. The drop was just bad timing. Not wining about it, things happen.

As far the the insurance issue goes I have had smartphones for many many years and have never had insurance and never have needed to replace one due to a problem with the phone. It cost what $5 or so a month and they want me to pay them $150 for a warranty exchange for a refurb on top of the monthly premium I pay, I just feel it is not worth it because in a few months you can buy most phones for $150 or less on the net. Call me cheap or whatever by my calculations I am coming out ahead buy not carring the insurance. But $5 a month times lets say 48 months is $240 (if I would have had insurance which I have never need before)
    on top of the $150 for exchange. Heck I can buy a new one off the internet cheaper than that!!!!

And from time to time I have dropped my phones, it happens to most all of us. I usually have a hard case for my phones but in this case I didn't but don't think it would have helped because it fell face down on a rock.

Att wanting $500 for a refurbished phone is crazy and that is why I didn't go that route. They told be to either have the package marked return to sender or take out the return label slap it on and take it to the post office. They said they noted my account and I will verify this before I send the phone back, should be he Mon or Tue.

I hate ATT but they are the ONLY carrier in my area that has enough signal to send and receive call in my home town. Not because of what happened with this phone. Costumers service sucks!!! Don't really no if it would be better with another company but it couldn't be any worse.