• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps My Career is going the way of the Dodo Bird. Help!

sgannon75

Lurker
Mar 29, 2012
I'm currently working as a mutual fund performance analyst for a large asset management company in Boston. The company is methodically implementing its "site strategy" efforts (translation: moving jobs to areas like N.C and Texas so they can pay people 50% of what their paying us here in the Northeast). I feel like it's only a matter of time before my job is exported to parts unknown. At 36 years of age, with two small children and a stay at home wife, I need to prepare for the future job market sooner rather than later. I'm interested in investigating the feasibility of pursuing a career change into mobile application design/development (if there's a a significant difference between the two). I've never written a single line of code but am not entirely averse to technology. I can root an android phone and once completed an MSCE course at Boston U. My question for all of you is this, would you discourage or encourage me to pursue such an endeavor? I'm currently employed so I don't need to rush. But I don't want to procrastinate either. What would your advice be? Should I kick the tires with trying to learn a programming language like Java? Is it practical to pursue an online bachelors program to track towards a career like this? Is it even possible to learn on my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
-Sean

Listen if you can learn things fast then it shouldn't be a problem for you, I for example can learn things very fast, and thanks to that I was able to learn how to program Apps, All in something like 6 months, so I defiantly encourage you to learn it.
Of course even if you aren't a person that learns things fast, you can still learn and make amazing apps, it will just take you a bit more time to do so.
Hope I helped

Upvote 0
Just so you know, no company is going to hire someone for a programming position without either (a) a degree in computer science or related field or (b) many years of experience, with proof to show. It's not just an industry you can walk into and make it big without any previous experience. Programming is not easy. Sure, a beginner can make some nifty things, but programming larger, more complex applications requires many skills that MUST be honed over years, not months. Furthermore, there exists a seemingly infinite number of programming concepts out there with more coming up every day. It's impossible to possess knowledge of every concept, but any decent programmer will posses working knowledge of a wide array of these concepts, while specializing in a few.

What you can take from this post is if you are already worried for your job, then it is probably too late to attempt to make a career out of programming as you almost definitely won't become proficient enough at it before your current career "expires". Your time is better spent going to a trade school somewhere so you can at least have a job while you pursue either (a) or (b) mentioned previously.

Upvote 0
Just so you know, no company is going to hire someone for a programming position without either (a) a degree in computer science or related field or (b) many years of experience, with proof to show. It's not just an industry you can walk into and make it big without any previous experience. Programming is not easy. Sure, a beginner can make some nifty things, but programming larger, more complex applications requires many skills that MUST be honed over years, not months. Furthermore, there exists a seemingly infinite number of programming concepts out there with more coming up every day. It's impossible to possess knowledge of every concept, but any decent programmer will posses working knowledge of a wide array of these concepts, while specializing in a few.

What you can take from this post is if you are already worried for your job, then it is probably too late to attempt to make a career out of programming as you almost definitely won't become proficient enough at it before your current career "expires". Your time is better spent going to a trade school somewhere so you can at least have a job while you pursue either (a) or (b) mentioned previously.

That's quite the reply. I think a lot of electricians or plumbers out there would take offense to your implication that their trade is a more reasonable alternative to your lofty opinion of programmer. You sound like an insecure programmer who's frustrated that his end users aren't as bright as you. #NickBurns

Upvote 0
I never once said that electricians or plumbers were not as bright as programmers. In facet, I know quite a few electricians who are extremely intelligent. The reality is, however that it takes a much longer time to master programming than trades and it is also much easier to break into those fields. In fact, I recommend you DO pursue a trade of some sort and work on honing your programming skills in your spare time. This way, you can build a nice portfolio that you can hse for your programming job hunt and make a living at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones