• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My computer cannot see my epic 4g

garyflynn

Lurker
Apr 7, 2011
I have installed and reinstalled the samsung windows drivers about four times.

My phone has not yet been activated and I'm not sure I'm going to attach it to service instead of possibly using it as an ipod touch with a keyboard.

I have connected the phone to my laptop one time. I feel asleep with the phone searching for drivers (the drivers had already been installed) and when I woke up it seemed fully connected. I was able to cwm3 root the phone but bricked it I think by putting an ext4 filesystem on without moving immediately to an ext4 rom.

I've restored it to stock and through wifi updated it over the air to ec05

Ever since then I have never been able to connect using any of the usb ports, trying two different usb cables, the oem and a generic micro-usb cable and using either windows vista or ubuntu on this computer.

Clockworkmod reports that the phone is not connected and I am not able to see the phone as a hard drive when I set it to mass transfer mode.

In download mode, odin is able to communicate with the phone reliably.

I've repeatedly tried all ##8778# settings and I've set debugging mode off and on. Device manager shows that the phone is connected to port COM7.

Is it possible that the activation program is preventing the USB connection?

My next step is to try another computer but I don't have one handy.

Is it possible to root a phone only through odin, or to put a file onto the sd card that can root without the use of the computer?

I need help! I'm having the same problem, running a laptop with Windows 7. The guy at the phone store rooted my phone, and my boyfriends phone, I didnt ask for it, and honestly dont understand the difference from rooted to unrooted. I never used the phone unrooted so I dont know what it really did for my phone. I cannot update my phone with the 2.2 because its rooted, but to try to attach it to my computer to unroot, my computer says "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (code 43)" I checked for update to the usb driver and its already updated but still tells me code 43.. any help would be great! Thanks everyone

Upvote 0
I need help! I'm having the same problem, running a laptop with Windows 7. The guy at the phone store rooted my phone, and my boyfriends phone, I didnt ask for it, and honestly dont understand the difference from rooted to unrooted. I never used the phone unrooted so I dont know what it really did for my phone. I cannot update my phone with the 2.2 because its rooted, but to try to attach it to my computer to unroot, my computer says "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (code 43)" I checked for update to the usb driver and its already updated but still tells me code 43.. any help would be great! Thanks everyone

Try unchecking "usb debugging" and connect again to see what happens.

menu > settings > applications > development

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones