• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My current setup

ualpow

Feb 8, 2010
Chicago
After trying 3 rom's I ended up with this. I have koni-elite_series_1 Rom with Netarchy's CFS More Aggressive 4.1.9.1 kernel. I absolutely love this setup! Battery life so far is great with setcpu profiles.
I noticed that there is not much discussion about this ROM, why is that? If any more knowledgeable souls see a problem with my setup please let me know.

I'm not positive about this but I don't think you are supposed to run profiles with a kernel with HAVS, because that kinda what it does on its own. The way HAVS work is when your phone is locked or not running hard it lowers the voltage sent to the battery so you don't really need to run profiles. Also I think that if you go change the governor of your kernel to a fair governor you may get better battery life while the screen is on, I'm not sure on this though because I haven't tried it do to the fact that I don't have set cpu, so don't take my word for it.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums :).

1) I don't think many people are using that ROM yet because it's fairly new. Give it some time for a new ROM to catch on :). Thanks for spreading the word, though. I hadn't seen this one yet. Looks pretty nice.

2) There really isn't any conclusive evidence that setcpu profiles conflict with HAVS. It's using the smartass governor that conflicts with HAVS. Let me go into a little more detail:

The smartass governor is designed to scale the CPU frequency based on a number of factors, such as screen on/off state, battery life, CPU load, etc. These are things you would make setcpu profiles to control. If you make profiles using smartass, they will fight each other when trying to set the min/max frequency for certain conditions. That's a bad thing. Almost every other governor will make decisions on load, only (albeit, with varying levels of battery savings), so they can be used with profiles.

HAVS, on the other hand, does something different. Normally, on a stock kernel, or a kernel with stock behavior, a constant voltage is supplied to the CPU. Using HAVS, the voltage supplied to the CPU is variable. As the frequency goes up, so does the voltage, and vice versa. It has no control over what to set the frequency at. It's more reactive than proactive in that sense. Also, if you think about it, using HAVS along with the smartass governor is a safe combination. If that's the case, then why couldn't you use HAVS with profiles? it's almost the same thing, just in a different manner. Basically the combination you want to avoid is smartass with profiles. HAVS is fine with profiles, but stick with the conservative governor for best battery life (use on-demand for best performance, but worse battery life). All that being said, a lot of setcpu profiles can sometimes cause worse battery life. The reason is that it has to constantly poll and decide if it needs to activate different profiles. You might be better off with just a screen off profile. Obviously, ymmv.

3) How old is your phone? If you got it recently, and it's a HW version 0004, you might have issues with the camera. Have you tried to use the camera since you flashed that kernel? If it works fine, then ignore the rest of this. If you find that it doesn't work, the reason is that you have a newer Evo, which as newer camera hardware. For reasons we can't be *exactly* sure about (probably shortages or something), HTC started using different camera hardware. That being said, different kernel drivers are required. NA 4.1.9.1 was released before the new camera drivers were released. If you have issues with the camera, you need to flash either NA 4.3.1 or 4.3.2, as they include the new camera drivers.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Thank you for the detailed information.
When I got my EVO on 2/2/11, it said hardware version 0004. I know because I wrote this down before doing anything. After trying a few roms and the one kernel it now says 0003. I have no problems with the camera

What software version did you have before when you got the phone? I "know" the answer, but it can't hurt to ask. Was it 3.70.651.1 (if you remember)? What all have you flashed, exactly?

Upvote 0
1) unrEVOked3
2) nandroid backup
3)EVO_radio_2.15.00.11.19_wimax_27167_r01_pri_nv_1.90_003.zip
4) myn warm2.2 rls5 ROM
6) netarchy 4.1.9.1
7) caulkin format all
8) koni-elite_series_1.zip
I also used ROMmanager to switch to ra recovery somewhere in there also.
I don't remember the original software version as I tossed the notes after everything worked when I flashed warm. I do know that swype was not on my device when I got it if that is any indicator. Will my nandroid or titanium backups put the phone back to original including the kernel? I could restore, get version info then restore my Elite backup.

Upvote 0
1) unrEVOked3
2) nandroid backup
3)EVO_radio_2.15.00.11.19_wimax_27167_r01_pri_nv_1.90_003.zip
4) myn warm2.2 rls5 ROM
6) netarchy 4.1.9.1
7) caulkin format all
8) koni-elite_series_1.zip
I also used ROMmanager to switch to ra recovery somewhere in there also.
I don't remember the original software version as I tossed the notes after everything worked when I flashed warm. I do know that swype was not on my device when I got it if that is any indicator. Will my nandroid or titanium backups put the phone back to original including the kernel? I could restore, get version info then restore my Elite backup.

Titanium backup is only used for apps and settings. Restoring that will do nothing on your current ROM other than overwrite your apps and settings. With whatever you backed up last. If you have a nandroid of your current setup, then restore your previous nandroid, it will take you back to what you had before, exactly, which is what you want. That being said, software version is sort of irrelevant, as you overwrote it with a different ROM. What is important is your radio versions. I see from above that you flashed new radios. Thing is, we can still find out what you had pretty easily. Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down. That will take you to hboot. What is your hboot version?

Upvote 0
HBOOT Ver: 0.97.0000
radio 2.15.00.11.19

Oh, okay. You're phone is a little older, then. Are you absolutely positive it was 0004? I've never heard of the hardware version changing like that, but if anything could do it, I would blame the radio combo update. I still don't see how, but that's the only thing you flashed that could possibly do something that drastic. I can't find any record of it happening to anyone else, though.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums :).

1) I don't think many people are using that ROM yet because it's fairly new. Give it some time for a new ROM to catch on :). Thanks for spreading the word, though. I hadn't seen this one yet. Looks pretty nice.

2) There really isn't any conclusive evidence that setcpu profiles conflict with HAVS. It's using the smartass governor that conflicts with HAVS. Let me go into a little more detail:

The smartass governor is designed to scale the CPU frequency based on a number of factors, such as screen on/off state, battery life, CPU load, etc. These are things you would make setcpu profiles to control. If you make profiles using smartass, they will fight each other when trying to set the min/max frequency for certain conditions. That's a bad thing. Almost every other governor will make decisions on load, only (albeit, with varying levels of battery savings), so they can be used with profiles.

HAVS, on the other hand, does something different. Normally, on a stock kernel, or a kernel with stock behavior, a constant voltage is supplied to the CPU. Using HAVS, the voltage supplied to the CPU is variable. As the frequency goes up, so does the voltage, and vice versa. It has no control over what to set the frequency at. It's more reactive than proactive in that sense. Also, if you think about it, using HAVS along with the smartass governor is a safe combination. If that's the case, then why couldn't you use HAVS with profiles? it's almost the same thing, just in a different manner. Basically the combination you want to avoid is smartass with profiles. HAVS is fine with profiles, but stick with the conservative governor for best battery life (use on-demand for best performance, but worse battery life). All that being said, a lot of setcpu profiles can sometimes cause worse battery life. The reason is that it has to constantly poll and decide if it needs to activate different profiles. You might be better off with just a screen off profile. Obviously, ymmv.

3) How old is your phone? If you got it recently, and it's a HW version 0004, you might have issues with the camera. Have you tried to use the camera since you flashed that kernel? If it works fine, then ignore the rest of this. If you find that it doesn't work, the reason is that you have a newer Evo, which as newer camera hardware. For reasons we can't be *exactly* sure about (probably shortages or something), HTC started using different camera hardware. That being said, different kernel drivers are required. NA 4.1.9.1 was released before the new camera drivers were released. If you have issues with the camera, you need to flash either NA 4.3.1 or 4.3.2, as they include the new camera drivers.

+1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones