My dead pixel and T-Mobile

Last Updated:

1. lukeyboymac

lukeyboymac Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My desire is fantastic, was delivered when they said it would be and all the staff I've dealt with have been fab. The only gutting thing was that my desire had a stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen that was visible on any white background like a web page or the dialer. It is small but it is annoying so I decided to phone up T-Mobile. Amazingly they have arranged for a swap to happen tomorrow. Can't fault them at all...

Advertisement
  2. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Got a stuck green pixel on mine though it doesn't bother me.

3. lukeyboymac

Yeah I'm being really anal about it and feel kind of guilty but my view is that if I'm getting something worth

4. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

Oh i don't blame you at all - just as mine isn't dead I always live in the hope it'll spring to live again even though it probably won't! Also had one on my PSP and iMac too!

5. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

You could try running a video of rapidly flashing colors and massaging the spot with the dead pixel. Supposedly this should fix it.

6. lukeyboymac

Yeah tried a couple of apps from the app store and also a nice youtube video. Gave up after an hour. Have also read that whilst they work on LCDs they don't work on (AMO)LEDs. Dunno how true that is though

7. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

It's nice to hear when something goes smoothly for once.

8. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Thats good.

T-Mobile are pretty good at the moment.

9. Ringosis

Ringosis Member

Technically it's not possible for an AMOLED to get a "stuck pixel" like you would get on a normal LCD screen.

Traditional LCD screens produce different colours by passing a charge through a kind of lens that twists producing different colours as the light passes through it. A stuck pixel happens when one of these lenes gets jammed and stops twisting, which is why you can sometimes fix them by flashing loads of colours on the screen rapidly, it sort of rattles the pixel loose.

OLED screens don't have those moving parts, the colour on the screen is produced by passing a charge through a semi conductor which causes each pixel to glow which is better for a lot of reasons (better contrast, less power usage, thinner display because you don't need to back light it etc) but it also means that dead pixels can't be cajoled back into life like you can occasionally do with LCDs. If you've got a pixel that's displaying the wrong colour then it's broken rather than stuck.

10. drovers

drovers Member

Hi there, got my phone sat and noticed a dead pixel on white screens. I know its only minute, but I find myself always looking for it, which is a shame as I think the phone is fantastic. I was wondering how many people have found stuck/dead pixels on their new phones? My mate works at the t mobile shop where i got it from and he said i could take it back,but knowing my luck I'd end up getting one worse, especially if there is a problem with the screens.

11. drovers

drovers Member

Hi there, got my phone sat and noticed a dead pixel on white screens. I know its only minute, but I find myself always looking for it, which is a shame as I think the phone is fantastic. I was wondering how many people have found stuck/dead pixels on their new phones? My mate works at the t mobile shop where i got it from and he said i could take it back,but knowing my luck I'd end up getting one worse, especially if there is a problem with the screens.

12. drovers

drovers Member

update on dead pixels: t-mobile shop of huddersfield have swapped my handset for their last remaining one, which i can happily report has a perfect screen. in the end there were two pixels dead on the phone.

just like to mention how helpful Rob, Phil and Antonia were in having no hesitation in swapping the hanset, defo recommend them.