• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Desire is better than an iPhone because.......

H

HYCAET

I don't know lots about my Desire, but I know I love it. The thing is, the fact that I use it in public just seems to lead to a debate whether the iPhone is better. People say to me, 'oh, is that supposed to be like an iPhone', and I reply 'no. It's better'...and people snigger!!!

I've nevet used an iPhone, so I've no idea what they do. So come on desire users, help me fight for some respect for this great phone.

My Desire is better than an iphone because......

Let me elaborate on that speed issue. Go to music and then start playing tracks, different ones. They load pretty much instantly. On an iPhone there is a delay at least 4 or 5 seconds between each track. Load a YouTube video under the same connection as an iPhone. The desire will play the video much sooner than the iPhone. Any webpage loads quicker on The desire under the same connection. I now tell people I got abit frustrated with my 3gs loading webpages. "the desire is just that little bit more snappy" make sure you say that in earshot of an iPhone owner!!!! Tell them it can do more. And give them this example that I've said before.

Go into voice search, then say find pizza hut! This will take you into maps. An iPhone user will say big deal, I can do that. But you say, my voice search is more accurate than yours. Then when you get the pizza hut up on your maps, click on the bar and it will take you to street view. iPhone user again will say, so what I can do that. But then you click on compass mode and move the phone around in your hand. You will be able to see the shop and pan around without touching the screen. Then you say to the iPhone user, let's see you do that! Instant justice! It's better if you find a tall building like big ben as you can pan up and down, left or right. Then you say
"you see, the iPhones good, but the desire just does more, and better"

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
"But then you click on compass mode and move the phone around in your hand. You will be able to see the shop and pan around without touching the screen"

I never knew it could do that!!

neither did I. It's pretty cool. But does it have a practical function (I'm not knocking it, just can't see what makes it worth having).

This afternoon I figured out the difference between a widget and a programme shortcut. These android phones are effin' great.

Upvote 0
I don't know lots about my Desire, but I know I love it. The thing is, the fact that I use it in public just seems to lead to a debate whether the iPhone is better. People say to me, 'oh, is that supposed to be like an iPhone', and I reply 'no. It is not'

Fixed it for you.

Stop giving a cr*p what other people think :) enjoy your phone

Upvote 0
The traditional multitasking example is playing music while web browsing. On the iPhone, this can only be done with the built in player, not any other music apps such as Spotify. There's many other examples too, such as writing an email and switching back and forth to the web browser to check some facts for your email. Or want to be on Windows Live Messenger (aka MSN Live) on your phone while playing a game? Not on your iPhone. Want to run a VoIP client (e.g. Skype) while playing a game? Not on your iPhone. Want to be on Windows Live Messenger, AIM, Skype and more, while gaming, browsing and emailing? On your iPhone, pick any one. On Android, well, performance would be stretched but you can have them running all at once.

Right now on this PC, I have Firefox, Pro Evo Soccer and NuSphere PHPed (programming application) running, backed up by instant messengers, Steam gaming software and loads more - that's multitasking.

Other advantages are that it's far more customisable, with things like desktop widgets.

With Android, you can choose your handset. Want a physical keyboard? Fine. Want a small device? Fine. Want a massive 4.3" device? Fine (soon). Want an OLED display? Fine. Want a high end device? Fine. Want a low end device? Fine. iPhone - want a 3.5" HVGA screen with only a soft keyboard? Fine. Want *any* other configuration? Uh ... no.

Speaking of OLED, sit an iPhone next to a Desire. The iPhone's screen will look bland and ill. Plus the viewing angles are vastly better.

The big advantage is that Android doesn't have Uncle Steve telling me what I can and can not do with it. This is a hard point to get across to non-techies but it's a very, very big deal and I believe in time, it will relegate the iPhone to the same position as Mac computers - fine for the market fraction for whom the limitations aren't an issue, but ultimately marginalised.

---

You say you've never used an iPhone. I bet they've never used a Desire. Quite a lot of iPhone users (far from all, let's not generalise) are iCult members, they're blinkered to seeing Apple as the best, in this case it's like arguing with a Creationist - just let them wallow in their ignorance. The only thing the iPhone has over Android is the app store size and I believe that will change.

iPhone 4 will add multitasking, although it remains to be seen how well. It may be a half-job where apps can only run partial services in the background (which Android has, as well as fuller multitasking, as does Symbian, WebOS and others). The next iPhone looks a lot nicer than the current iPhones, which IMHO it looks dated. Most interesting will be the screen, which, allegedly, is 4 times the resolution of current iPhones and higher even than the Desire (which has about 2.5x the number of pixels than the 3GS). If that's true, it will be very sharp. If it's also OLED, I will be jealous of that. However, I still wouldn't swap my Desire for one and the way these things go, an Android device will soon be released that matches it, and then one that overtakes it.

---

I've rambled between the Desire, and Android in general, but I hope my points come across.

With the iPhone 4, Apple are playing catch-up with Android in technical terms (sadly, Android is way behind Apple in mindshare terms). If the iPhone 4 does surpass the Desire or Evo, in a couple of months an Android phone will surpass the iPhone 4.

EDIT: Actually, Celox sums it up very accurately and concisely. :)

Reactions: CorruptedSanity
Upvote 0
for example?

I want to base my Pro-Desire argument on this type of thing
Someone will probably explain it better but Android will keep programs that you've used or might use in the background meaning that as soon as you open an application it will load instantly, also meaning that if you come out of one application it's still there in the background and you can go back to it at anytime, it hasn't closed but minimised like on a desktop computer.

The Internet for example, browse the web, press the home button to check your e-mails, watch a video or cut some text from somewhere and you can go straight back to the Internet as if you never left it.

Told you :( And I also agree 100% with Quboid.

Upvote 0
That is so awesomely pointless. Never will I be upstaged again by a iPhone fanboy with a map of the stars on his brick :D

Yeah it is almost pointless, its just the iphone takes ages to physically pan around. Outs its instant. And if you really want to go to town, then say, lets navigate there, with turn by turn navigation! In just one click you have it. Iphone fan boy will have to come out of that, go into tom tom if hes paid for it, then find the location, before getting the full turn by turn navigation. Which brings me to my second point seeing as though iphone 4 has been mentioned. Im curious as to how user friendly youtube will be via the dedicated you tube app on the new iphone. The old one was restrictive, the new one could be worse as google is clearly starting to hold back some of its tricks from apple.
On my 3gs, I can get a video up from the you tube app, but then cant post it to facebook or anywhere else unless I actually go via safari. (but then of course, i cant see the video!)
Be interesting to see what gets held back.
Lastly, check out lekkys website, nimbu. Its got some great stuff to download there improving the desire even more! Also get swype keyboard if I can find the link ill add it so you can add it onto your phone, I think its great. And another good example to show off the desire to iphone users.

Upvote 0
That is so awesomely pointless. Never will I be upstaged again by a iPhone fanboy with a map of the stars on his brick :D

Yeah it is almost pointless, its just the iphone takes ages to physically pan around. Outs its instant. And if you really want to go to town, then say, lets navigate there, with turn by turn navigation! In just one click you have it. Iphone fan boy will have to come out of that, go into tom tom if hes paid for it, then find the location, before getting the full turn by turn navigation. Which brings me to my second point seeing as though iphone 4 has been mentioned. Im curious as to how user friendly youtube will be via the dedicated you tube app on the new iphone. The old one was restrictive, the new one could be worse as google is clearly starting to hold back some of its tricks from apple.
On my 3gs, I can get a video up from the you tube app, but then cant post it to facebook or anywhere else unless I actually go via safari. (but then of course, i cant see the video!)
Lastly, check out lekkys website, nimbu. Its got some great stuff to download there improving the desire even more! Also get swype keyboard if I can find the link ill add it so you can add it onto your phone, I think its great. And another good example to show off the desire to iphone users.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Put an iPhone 3gs next to a Desire and I can only feel pity for the iPhone owner BUT I think OS4 could send us away with our tails between our legs.

Why, because it's finally gotten around to revolutionary, magical shit like letting you change the wallpapers and multi-task (very limited)? Things that Android's been doing since day one, and Symbian has been doing forever? Sure.

To the OP: I second "enjoy your phone and don't care what other people think." Most people are ignorant sheep; even if you try to explain they'll not quite get it.

Try doing the pinch-to-preview thing to show off, though. I've successfully awed an Apple salesperson with it. :p

Upvote 0
The desire is awesomely customisable, what a shame they cant easily adjust the volume of the speaker (which is crap BTW) or the bluetooth volume output to a TomTom so I can actually hear the incoming phone caller. or the ability to understand a telephone number string shouldn't be broken into two separate numbers on two lines so you can't hold on the number and dial. It's a pretty accessory with a few toys available, mostly for game players, yes it will load youtube faster than an iphone, just listen to the crap speaker compared to the iphone. As a phone it's pretty poor.

Reactions: wrigglesworth
Upvote 0
The main difference imo, is the lack of freedom that the iphone offers. For example, little or no interaction between apps, no apps can "duplicate functionality" because Jobs is apparently terrified that somebody will do it better. being able to customise the way that information is presented to you, like messages, email, weather, appointments, etc.

Why the hell doesn't the iphone have a home page? This is a hugely important function of a smart phone & people don't even seem to realise it's missing. Having to switch between a bunch of different apps to see what's going on in your world is pretty inefficient.

sure currently, the specs of the desire are much better than the iphone, but I'd avoid that argument because that might change in june/july.

btw, the number of apps in itunes being much higher than the market is overrated as an advantage. How many different kinds of weather, twitter, torch, calc or fart apps do we really need? Just one, as long as it's a good one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones