my desire keeps re-starting!!

Last Updated:

1. dazbrookes321

dazbrookes321 Member This Topic's Starter

hi, i bought a htc desire of someone on another forum. he said it was unlocked and unbranded (it was orange) so all was good! then i had an update come through and i accepted and all was well accept wifi didnt work! but i lived with it. Then i did something stupid! 2.2 update came through and i thought id install it. now the phone loads up and after a short while says the process has failed (or something like that) force close or wait.
    no matter which i press it ends up going back to the htc desire start up screen and does the same again.

now because i didnt unbrand the phone i have no idea what im doing.
    i take it the card in the phone wasnt the goldcard else it would have gone through ok? as far as im aware i need to make a new goldcard? and flash it with another rom? is that correct? if so how can i make a gold card when it keeps re-setting itself!! :eek: There must be something i can do :(

Thanks for any help, if you need any more info please say.

Advertisement
  2. blundell

blundell Well-Known Member

Just flash the whole thing and start again from scratch, you can access the 'dos' menu even if it keeps restarting. Follow this:
    How to Root Your HTC Desire

3. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

What's happened is your radio hasn't been updated, and the old one isn't compatible with the new software. It's possible that there was a problem with the update (Orange phones seem very fussy) or your card is not a goldcard.

If you have an AMOLED screen try to apply this downgrade back to 2.1. If it doesn't work then you will need to create a goldcard first.

[HOW-TO] downgrade HBOOT 0.92 to 0.80 again - xda-developers

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Beware what you do, mine was an orange branded handset.
    I debranded using a goldcard, when i did the OTA update for a radio the wifi stopped working.
    Went back to the rom i debranded too all was fine, updated the radio with a goldcard in wifi worked but the phone simlocked against all simcards.
    Got the phone unlocked,then went the whole hog & rooted.

If your phone happens to be locked rooting using the one click method doesn't seem to simlock the phone.

5. dazbrookes321

so i need to create a goldcard again then? do i just get the phone into that boot menu thing then create the card? all these instructions seem very complicated to me :(

6. teppic74

If your goldcard is valid you can run that downgrade (the phone won't restart from the boot menus).

If not, it is possible to create a goldcard with your phone rebooting, you just need to do the steps while the phone is up.

7. dazbrookes321

so which link am i using here sorry? each one i have pressed has masses of info and steps on how to do all sorts! do i just download an older rom go into boot menu thing and do something from there?

8. teppic74

You can downgrade it to Android 2.1, which will stop the rebooting. Use the thread I posted above. If it doesn't work it is because you don't have a goldcard. You can find out how to make one in other threads.

If the rebooting makes it too difficult, call HTC and ask if they'll repair it under warranty.

9. dazbrookes321

my h-boot says it's 0.75 though is that right or wrong?

10. teppic74

It's because your OTA upgrade didn't work and has messed up your phone.

The 'downgrade' will still work with a goldcard to recover your phone.

11. dazbrookes321

ok thanks very much for your help i shall give it all a go later on tonight.

12. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

hope you get it sorted mate..

from reading everything on these forums, i've decided that orange are awful, and the morale of the story is to never get a phone from orange, no matter how good the desire in black looks.. :p

13. anoniemouse

I will second that & i had an orange branded phone, until i debranded & rooted.

14. dazbrookes321

following the link teppic sent me i cant even get passed step 1 :( i downloaded the PB99IMG.zip and the misc_update and also a rom i wanted to flash to my phone. then copied it all to the sd card. put the sd card in the phone and held back and power. it tried to load PB99IMG.zip but it flashes up quick so i cant read all of what it says it looks like it says cant read image?

where am i going wrong? im using the 4gb sd that came with the phone. (the one the guy reckons he used as a gold card so surely it still is a goldcard?)

god im so lost!

15. anoniemouse

It should be still a goldcard if it was a goldcard, use the first link in this post & use the goldcard tool to make it a gold card just incase.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/117710-goldcard-tool.html

16. teppic74

If you renamed the file to PB99IMG.zip in Windows it's possible you've actually renamed it PB99IMG.zip.zip, so the phone can't find it.

Whether you have a goldcard is irrelevant at this point, since it can't find the update file.

17. teppic74