• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Devices shows unknown device

I'm not sure where to post this.

When looking in the 'Settings' on the Google Play Store I have a mystery device and don't have any clue where it came from.

This 'Unnamed Device' from T-Mobile showed up a few weeks ago. I don't know anybody with a T-Mobile device that would have somehow logged into my Google account. I have watched it and it says it was registered on March 24, 2014 and no date showing it as being 'Last Used' but it is there and I don't know why or how it got there. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

Screen shot of the unknown device.

c7qcavt.jpg

The GT-I9300 is the "International" 3G-only version of the Galaxy S3, rather than the T-Mobile US variant (SGH-T999), so unless you signed into somebody's imported handset I'd suggest that it's just a weird error.

For peace-of-mind, select "Edit" and deselect "Show in menus", then change your Google account password.

Upvote 0
I moved here, probably will get more responses here.

Did you test a device in one of the stores and enter your email address, if not, I would simply hide the device and see if someone tries to activate it.

Thanks and no. I wouldn't sign in to Google or any personal account on a store display device. I wouldn't suggest that anyone ever do that and other than online I haven't shopped for or looked at any cell phones inside of a store for 3 or 4 months.

The GT-I9300 is the "International" 3G-only version of the Galaxy S3, rather than the T-Mobile US variant (SGH-T999), so unless you signed into somebody's imported handset I'd suggest that it's just a weird error.

Thanks. I figured out the S3 part but I'm in the US so the International version is very puzzling.

For peace-of-mind, select "Edit" and deselect "Show in menus", then change your Google account password.

Going to do that now. Hopefully Google wakes up sometime soon and allows us to actually remove devices from our Google Play accounts. This is a good example as to why just hiding devices isn't nearly a good enough solution.

Upvote 0
I didn't think you would, but I have seen weirder things happened before, so I'd be re-missed if I did not ask. ;)

Thanks and no. I wouldn't sign in to Google or any personal account on a store display device. I wouldn't suggest that anyone ever do that and other than online I haven't shopped for or looked at any cell phones inside of a store for 3 or 4 months.

Upvote 0
I didn't think you would, but I have seen weirder things happened before, so I'd be re-missed if I did not ask. ;)

I regularly have to remove Google and Apple accounts from our in-store demo handsets. Yup, some people really are that stupid. :(

It's definitely worth mentioning. If nothing else it's a good Public Service Announcement for the forums. :thumbup:

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I just noticed the exact same issue with the same device.
It says: Samsung GT-I9300 (Model) T-Mobile (Provider) 17. Januar 2014 (Last Used) 9. Januar 2014 (Registered)

I never got a hand on a Galaxy S3. Needless to say, I never entered my Google credentials on any device other than my own. Moreover I have 2-stage authentication activated since it's available, so I shouldn't be woried about my Google account to be compromised.

This is a very strange error.

Upvote 0
My BlueStacks installation was on 09.01.2014 but this is most likely based on the time difference.

I thought about things like that too. Bluestacks, SnapPea, Chromecast. I can't narrow it down to any specific app. And why did Bluestacks or anything else I have ever used not register an unknown device until now? :thinking:

Upvote 0
It's not the installation date of BlueStacks, it's the login date to your Google account on that device.

I know but I have had Bluestacks installed on and off over the last few years. It seems like if it were Bluestacks then it would have done it long before now. I can't say it isn't Bluestacks though. That or something like Chromecast seems like the most likely source. I just don't know for sure so it's puzzling.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure where to post this.

When looking in the 'Settings' on the Google Play Store I have a mystery device and don't have any clue where it came from.

This 'Unnamed Device' from T-Mobile showed up a few weeks ago. I don't know anybody with a T-Mobile device that would have somehow logged into my Google account. I have watched it and it says it was registered on March 24, 2014 and no date showing it as being 'Last Used' but it is there and I don't know why or how it got there. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

Screen shot of the unknown device.

c7qcavt.jpg

Upvote 0
I also notice this on my daughters tablet. I believe i have it happened a while ago too but not sure if same device. Mine also shows as a Tmobile Samsung. I have samsung tv and laptops but my isp is verizon no tmobile phones exept my htc cha with tmob sim card in it. I have had alot of network issues so this is a security concern for me,any info on this please post.

Upvote 0
This is an old thread but... I have this device too, and based on the registration date I'm pretty sure this is related to the use of the Raccoon APK downloader, which can be useful to force install a supposedly-unsupported APK.

Or similar software that happens to use the same "fake device" signature to access google play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones