• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My DIY Lego Dock

I will be building a LEGO dock for myself soon. Great implementations guys! For those looking for pieces, Bricklink is often a much cheaper alternative to LEGO's online Pick-A-Brick for picking up spare and specific parts. I hope this doesn't come across as too spammy, but it is very on topic to the thread and I am only one of thousands of sellers there.

Upvote 0
Yea sorry it won't let me attach pictures for some reason. Currently uploading and will link in a minute.

Here we go:
20091202135539.jpg

20091202135556w.jpg

20091202135616.jpg

20091202135616.jpg

20091202135634.jpg

20091202135650.jpg

20091202135733.jpg

20091202135757.jpg

dsc01555e.jpg
Blazingwolf?

Upvote 0
These are great. I like the one with the wheels, its a good idea for stability and adjustability. When I was building mine, I thought it would be funny to build a droid-droid. A robot shaped cradle to hold the droid, but I wanted something more practical.

This is the one I built.

IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG

I just plug the cable into the droid then set it into the dock. I like being able to pull it out of there and check my email and such while it's still plugged in. The only problem is the oem cable has a really stiff sleeve, so i would have had to make the dock higher off the table if i didn't have a spare micro usb cable to use exclusively for charging.

It's actually on arms, so you can adjust the angle and height, but I like the position it's in so that function is a bit wasted haha.

I'm most proud of the magnet placement. These magnets from the container store happen to perfectly fit in that 1x1 brick with the peg on the front and the square hole on the back. (It's surprisingly hard to describe a lego brick, and subsequently search for one on brick link) So the magnet was super easy to place and feels like it was designed for the dock.

Upvote 0
I really want to make one, these are so cool! I don't want to sound stupid, but the magnet won't hurt my Droid? Is the placement so the droid stays in place better? I'm sure I should know this, but I don't.
Thanks, and please be patient with me :)
The placement of the magnet should be centered (left to right) just above the USB connection, and about 1-1/4" up from the bottom. To clarify - placement of the magnet does NOT distinguish car mode and multimedia mode. The polarity of the magnet does this. Hold the magnet onto the back of your phone (location I stated) and see which mode comes up. Flip it over to see the opposite mode.

The magnet will help hold the Droid in position if you have it completely vertical. Best to lay it at an angle though - you don't want it falling off, and the magnet is not that strong. Especially if you have a case on it. Our MIKRADLES use a 45 degree angle to support the Droid, which is a good viewing angle when placed at normal desk height.

I must commend all of you for the very innovative use of your Legos! :) cuskit (inventor of the MIKRADLE) :)

Upvote 0
That is cool. I did not see an answer as to what the "orange Droid eye is for"?

Also does the Droid already have the program for the alarm clock installed so when you put it in the dock it automatically goes into that mode?

One last question is there a specific spot that the magnet needs to be against the Droid back.

Thanks for the help.
Orange eye was answered up a few posts.

The Droid comes preloaded with the function to enable the alarm clock. A magnet installed in the dock behind the droid automatically turns this multimedia mode on. As such - it will also shut off automatically when the droid is lifted off the dock (note that it DOES require a magnet - you may notice some of the posted Lego docks here do not have a magnet.

I noted the location of this magnet also a few posts back. :) cuskit

Upvote 0
Well, I think it's about time someone breathed some life into this thread!!

I was about to make a thread of my own when the auto search box stopped me in my tracks, and I noticed that my idea wasn't as original as I had thought. These docks are awesome! Now I would like to share mine with you guys.

lddscreenshot3.jpg

The Lego Digital Designer didn't have the 45 degree corner bricks in the upside down variety, so I substituted them with the red semi-trasparent cones in the digital version. I need to get some of the right side up 45 degree corner bricks, so they aren't represented in the photos. The same exact parts I used to mount the train magnet weren't available either, and it looks like the way the digital version has it constructed that it might be to far away to activate dock mode, but the version I have in real life works great!

hpim0399d.jpg

hpim0400h.jpg

I really like some of the other docks here, and it's also nice to see i'm not the only one who had this idea! In fact the one with wheels is my favorite, but so far I think mine is the only one that is all LEGO parts (except for the charge cable of coarse). I was astounded by how perfectly the train magnet worked. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
I guess smart minds think alike. :D i made The Starship Dock. The hard part was getting my old legos back from the kids. I had envisioned it much better that it is but after all these years i had to use what was left. For my 10th birthday all i got was more legos, a few days latter my dad took the trash out and added up the piece count from all the sets that i had gotten from everyone, just over 1 million. :cool: they did make me share with my 3 brothers though. :mad::mad: (i dont have 1/10th that anymore)

click on image for larger view

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones