• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My DIY Lego Dock

Already answered on page 2...

The placement of the magnet should be centered (left to right) just above the USB connection, and about 1-1/4" up from the bottom. To clarify - placement of the magnet does NOT distinguish car mode and multimedia mode. The polarity of the magnet does this. Hold the magnet onto the back of your phone (location I stated) and see which mode comes up. Flip it over to see the opposite mode.

The magnet will help hold the Droid in position if you have it completely vertical. Best to lay it at an angle though - you don't want it falling off, and the magnet is not that strong. Especially if you have a case on it. Our MIKRADLES use a 45 degree angle to support the Droid, which is a good viewing angle when placed at normal desk height.

I must commend all of you for the very innovative use of your Legos! :) cuskit (inventor of the MIKRADLE) :)

Upvote 0
Might be wrong but doesnt a box of legos cost like 60 - 100 bucks, cheaper to buy to dock for me.

Nice idea tho, i wont be buying the orginal dock, but still cooking up some cheaper alternative. Just not legos, too expensive for me. Beside, my son would kill me if i used his legos.

The point for me was that I already had more than enough legos to spare a few for a dock. The idea was to use what I had on hand

Upvote 0
This is THE coolest thread I have ever seen here! I haven't even ordered my Droid, I was just researching accessories here and, Bingo! A lego dock.

My daughter is a total lego freak (just like her mommy) she has my legos plus a bazillion of her own so I'm going to put her to work and have multiple docks around the house. She will just love the challenge.

Thank you and your amazing nerdliness! I'm thinking the first one will be designed like the Stargate . . .

Upvote 0
kenc3dan-albums-micro-usb-b-male-mount-picture1206-zx80-b-5sa.jpg

Upvote 0
I've been trying to get the fit just right for the Incredible. Not too snug to avoid scratching - not too loose to make alignment with the microUSB port accurate. This thing is a perfect fit. I got this right by exploiting the irregularities in the back plate to my advantage.
None of the buttons are blocked by Legos, the power switch isn't contacted when you set it in the dock. I think this is my final design.
Now I just have to rebuild with some more attractive bricks and epoxy that microUSB in place.

kenc3dan-albums-droid-incredible-diy-dock-picture1256-dock1.jpg

kenc3dan-albums-droid-incredible-diy-dock-picture1257-charger.jpg

kenc3dan-albums-droid-incredible-diy-dock-picture1259-phone.jpg

Upvote 0
You know, they just came out with a dock for the Incredible. It's nice but it's landscape which means that everything is rotated 90-degrees in the launcher/dialier and lots of the HTC apps.
And you can't get to the volume buttons.
Finally! HTC Droid Incredible Desktop Charging Cradle Dock

I submit that this is a much better alternative.
All the buttons are accessible and everything displays right.
Holds surprisingly tight too.
Probably $10 worth of legos and a $5 cable, maybe $0.50 worth of epoxy for the connector.

Attachments

• inc_dock4.jpg
    inc_dock4.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones