My dream just died.

Last Updated:

1. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So much for my dream of Google buying Palm and taking all the WebOS developers and merging WebOS and Android. Palm is now dead. HP just sealed it's fate. Cheapy build quality phones meets Shitty everything.

The phones you love are now the company you hate.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

I disagree. I think it's a perfect match!

irishpride likes this.
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

yeah, i think it's gonna be good....for girl phones.. :p

4. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I was actually thinking they would be doing tablets with WebOS on them to compete with the iPad properly.

6. Trident

Interesting thought. That would actually be pretty cool!

7. OfTheDamned

It was actually the first thing that popped into my head after hearing about the buy. If they could get people to develop for it, it would be pretty cool.

Still a tablet though.

8. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Only problem I see is palms hardware - the pre and the pixi, look and feel like little toys from the $1 store.

Add HP that's products are built crappier than toys from the $1 store and I see a problem.

9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Oh shi-- when did ofthedamned become a mod? inb4thefoodmanisanuisanceandheneedsatempban

10. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

When HP bought Compaq, their customer service went through the roof, hopefully Palms customer service improves with this.

11. Trident

Tonight!

OTD is an awesome addition to the team! :D

12. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I think it's a pretty good fit. One company was primarily in computers while the other was primarily in cell phones. With this merger, computers and smart phones will be able to communicate more easily. Who knows? This communication may become a new standard for the IT field.

13. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

you think HP is sealing the fate of Palm?!?! Palm secured IT'S OWN FATE. They decided not to be progressive and stuck with what they knew years ago. Then, when the rest of the world had already crushed them, they decided to pull a few tricks out of their dusty old hat and release theeee.......drum roll please........PIXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't blame HP, blame Palm. They will now be able to do exactly what they want. Sell over-hyped dumbphones branded as "smart" in places like Radio Shack and Wal-Mart. Maybe they will even devise a way to allow people to use food stamps! (wait, that would require research so that part probably won't happen!).

14. lildegregs22

lildegregs22 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on that one.

15. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

The Pre may feel a bit cheap, but WebOS is slick. There's a lot of potential in this merger IMO. Perhaps they'll start outsourcing their hardware to HTC again. Or perhaps they'll port WebOS to the x86 platform for Moorestown. Honestly I don't care how "cheap" the hardware feels as long as it doesn't break, is fast enough to run the OS smoothly and has a solid OS.

16. OfTheDamned

17. chum1600

chum1600 Well-Known Member

Palm knew they needed to change, but choose to stay on the same path. Several other companies have gone the same way. Just because your the leader one day doesn't mean you will hold that position forever.

HP just paid all that money for WebOS. They will do everything they can with that OS though.

HP has the money to back WebOS that Palm never had. If we do see Web OS in a phone again it will not be a poorly made phone, but a well made phone. I think first will be tablets though.

18. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

WebOS is a great OS but needs to continue development. This requires funding and Palm was running out.

Not sure what a "girl phone" is though...maybe pink with Hello Kitty and Barbie on it? I personally enjoyed my Pre and if they made a follow up with sturdier hardware and GPU acceleration of the UI instead of depending on CPU to do everything, I would be all about it. WebOs hasn't even been available for a year yet and it made some good strides. I'm just gonna go to Android for the Evo and then maybe check out something from HPalm later on. If they can get a WebOS tablet out it would be cool. Add handwriting recognition and pen input to the existing touch input and I will buy one on launch day.