My Droid and Cheeks aren't compatible??? :-(

Last Updated:

1. AmberLi

AmberLi Member This Topic's Starter

When I am on a call, the screen sometimes goes dark, but many times while I'm in the middle of a call it will turn on and my cheeks will hit the numbers, speaker, and most annoyingly the MUTE!!! :mad:

Do you think I have a defective screen lock or is there an app or a setting to make sure this doesn't happen??

I love my droid, but if I can't make phone calls..........:eek:

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I'd try going to a Verizon store and testing it on the live demo units to see if you have that problem with those. If you do not it may be your unit has a slight fault.

3. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

There are a couple posts about this kind of problem. Apparently some of them just seem to have a software issue that affects that. One of the other threads has a link to a thread on Motorola's support forums, where someone says an update is scheduled that fixes it.

4. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Sounds like a problem with the proximity sensor to me. As long as you have the top of the phone actually up to your ear, it should turn off the screen. If you are one of those people that holds it out a little or at a different angle that may be the problem, but I think the sensor is the most likely culprit. Do what Howie says and if those units work fine then swap that baby out.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

The proximity sensor is actually up by the earpiece, to the left of it.

So long as your ear covers that while you're on the phone, the screen should remain off.

Some say that screen protectors can interfere with its operation.

If you are covering it up while on the phone and the screen is turning on, then something is wrong and you should go to Verizon to see about an exchange.

EDIT: bah, dmgabe beat me to it. Hehe.

6. mooreman

mooreman Member

From the title of the thread, I was afraid this was going to a thread about butt-dialing.... Surely I'm not the only one who thought of that.....

7. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

same issue with me. On all my droids. I guess my face isn't shaped right...

8. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

Same issue with my milestone. Its my screen protector. I always find myself hitting mute during a call. Before i got the screen protector it was fine

9. brettlewis

I took of my protector and have the same issue though...

10. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Do any of you folks that are having problems have long hair?

If so make sure to get the phone under your hair, otherwise it can mess up the proximity sensor.

11. brettlewis

I do :eek:
    Does someone have a QR for that lock call app?

12. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

It's the hair thing. My N1 has the same "problem" unless the phone actually hits my cheek. Could always shave your hair off if you're very dedicated to your phone. ;)

13. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Well-Known Member

Could be on your N1, but I had this problem on my Droid. I did quite a bit of experimenting and realized that ANYTHING in front of the sensor will turn the screen off... odd thing is that after rooting I've never had this problem again.

14. ladybadger2007

ladybadger2007 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, and have swaped it out for that reason... Sadly I have gone thru 6 for different reasons.. They have all had the same problem hitting mute while on a call, or just not coming back on at all. On the plus side this is a work in progress and hopefully it keeps getting better with each update.

15. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

16. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I also have long hair and I have issues with the proximity sensor. I've seen a pretty strong correlation between the two, so I'm thinking that's the issue.

17. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

My hair goes over my ears and I have the same problem. I just have to tuck the phone under and I'm okay.

18. Artu

Artu Active Member

I just got my third droid for many reasons I have posted here about since November. They gave me a "certifed new" version; yea right.

I noticed in my activation process the screen in-call did not work right. I mentioned this at the store but they said oh that happens; and that was the only store that had one in a 20 mile radius that had a phone they would give me since they won't give new phones to folks under warranty.

I know this process because my second droid needed to do a factory wipe about 4 or more times a month, sometimes just a day or two between; so I know the process well.

A few hours later I start to make calls and the screen goes dark as soon as I hit call. I can't pull the phone away from me to see the screen go back on again. I found if I slide the keyboard out, most times the screen came back on and I could use the keyboard again to put in my voice mail codes or hit END CALL. So I can't END call without sliding the keyboard out.

However one time today while calling my father the screen went dark and would not come on again until I pulled the battery.

This must be a proximity detector issue, but why from a "certified new" phone?

Is having 3 droids that don't work BS or what? I'm sure some folks must have a higher number then I do since November; where is the scoreboard on folks with the highest number of borked droids?

I love the phones ability, I love the 'Droid idea and all it can do, all my friends bought them after seeing mine but joke about how mine never works and they have no issues. So why Can't I get one that works for sake? I like what it can do but hate being so messed up.

Warning, never be an early adopter, you get to be the beta tester and don't get the service you deserve.

19. renzise

renzise New Member

I was having this problem since purchasing my phone and I just downloaded a free app that solves the problem! It's called my lock phone tools. Once you download it, go into it and check off the box for touchscreen lock. When you are on a call and pull the phone away it tells you to hit the camera or to button to unlock the screen before you have access to the touch screen. I have long hair and short bangs and that created a huge problem for me. I really think this app is the fix for everyones problems. It seems stupid to have to be careful how you hold the phone.

kg6epf likes this.
  20. Artu

Artu Active Member

My forth droid does exactly the same as my third. No proximity detector working; not even with the sensor test programs. Screen goes dark right after dialing with no way to end the call other then sliding the cover.

Anyone ever find a setting that turns this on or off?

21. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

What angle are you holding the phone at. Mine goes dark if it is held at a 90 degree angle, but if I put it flat the screen comes back on.

22. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

My wife has been having the same type of problems with her Droid. She does have long hair and that may be part of the issue. I had her install that app mentioned by Renzise - My Lock Phone Tools (free on market). Since installing it she has had no further problems.