• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Droid and Cheeks aren't compatible??? :-(

AmberLi

Nov 11, 2009
When I am on a call, the screen sometimes goes dark, but many times while I'm in the middle of a call it will turn on and my cheeks will hit the numbers, speaker, and most annoyingly the MUTE!!! :mad:

Do you think I have a defective screen lock or is there an app or a setting to make sure this doesn't happen??

I love my droid, but if I can't make phone calls..........:eek:

Sounds like a problem with the proximity sensor to me. As long as you have the top of the phone actually up to your ear, it should turn off the screen. If you are one of those people that holds it out a little or at a different angle that may be the problem, but I think the sensor is the most likely culprit. Do what Howie says and if those units work fine then swap that baby out.

Upvote 0
The proximity sensor is actually up by the earpiece, to the left of it.

So long as your ear covers that while you're on the phone, the screen should remain off.

Some say that screen protectors can interfere with its operation.

If you are covering it up while on the phone and the screen is turning on, then something is wrong and you should go to Verizon to see about an exchange.

EDIT: bah, dmgabe beat me to it. Hehe.

Upvote 0
It's the hair thing. My N1 has the same "problem" unless the phone actually hits my cheek. Could always shave your hair off if you're very dedicated to your phone. ;)
Could be on your N1, but I had this problem on my Droid. I did quite a bit of experimenting and realized that ANYTHING in front of the sensor will turn the screen off... odd thing is that after rooting I've never had this problem again.

Upvote 0
I just got my third droid for many reasons I have posted here about since November. They gave me a "certifed new" version; yea right.

I noticed in my activation process the screen in-call did not work right. I mentioned this at the store but they said oh that happens; and that was the only store that had one in a 20 mile radius that had a phone they would give me since they won't give new phones to folks under warranty.

I know this process because my second droid needed to do a factory wipe about 4 or more times a month, sometimes just a day or two between; so I know the process well.

A few hours later I start to make calls and the screen goes dark as soon as I hit call. I can't pull the phone away from me to see the screen go back on again. I found if I slide the keyboard out, most times the screen came back on and I could use the keyboard again to put in my voice mail codes or hit END CALL. So I can't END call without sliding the keyboard out.

However one time today while calling my father the screen went dark and would not come on again until I pulled the battery.

This must be a proximity detector issue, but why from a "certified new" phone?

Is having 3 droids that don't work BS or what? I'm sure some folks must have a higher number then I do since November; where is the scoreboard on folks with the highest number of borked droids?

I love the phones ability, I love the 'Droid idea and all it can do, all my friends bought them after seeing mine but joke about how mine never works and they have no issues. So why Can't I get one that works for sake? I like what it can do but hate being so messed up.

Warning, never be an early adopter, you get to be the beta tester and don't get the service you deserve.

Upvote 0
I was having this problem since purchasing my phone and I just downloaded a free app that solves the problem! It's called my lock phone tools. Once you download it, go into it and check off the box for touchscreen lock. When you are on a call and pull the phone away it tells you to hit the camera or to button to unlock the screen before you have access to the touch screen. I have long hair and short bangs and that created a huge problem for me. I really think this app is the fix for everyones problems. It seems stupid to have to be careful how you hold the phone.

Reactions: kg6epf
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones