• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Droid DNA Review

I am waiting to see a few battery life reviews, and hoping the SLCD3 screen made a large power consumption difference.

I'm hearing that S-LCD3 is more power efficient than its predecessors, but at least part of that gain will be offset by 1080p screen. It's 125% more pixels to move than 720p screen.

So all in all I think DNA battery life will be similar to GS3. That's not bad at all but it's not in the same class as Note 2 with 3100mAh removable battery, let alone Maxx HD with 3300mAh.

Upvote 0
I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the battery on this thing.

I'll be darned but I can't seem to find where it states screen on time??

Am I missing it trooper?

No you're not missing it...it isn't there. I had to download BetterBatteryStats to obtain my Screen On time. It's my preferred method of comparing devices.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'm hearing that S-LCD3 is more power efficient than its predecessors, but at least part of that gain will be offset by 1080p screen. It's 125% more pixels to move than 720p screen.

So all in all I think DNA battery life will be similar to GS3. That's not bad at all but it's not in the same class as Note 2 with 3100mAh removable battery, let alone Maxx HD with 3300mAh.

Maybe not in the same class as those devices battery-wise, but it outclasses the Maxx in every other way possible. And it goes toe to toe with the Note 2 in every area but battery, and bests its screen in the process.

I will say though, comparing the Note 2 to the DNA, the DNA doesn't feel a lot bigger than my Galaxy S3, while the Note 2 feels huge. It's still a sweet device, but it just feels gigantic.

Upvote 0
Maybe not in the same class as those devices battery-wise, but it outclasses the Maxx in every other way possible. And it goes toe to toe with the Note 2 in every area but battery, and bests its screen in the process.

Really? You forgot 32Gb internal memory + microSD slot in Maxx?
Agreed on screen, camera and processing power of DNA though.

Upvote 0
Sweet I thought this was coming out next year so I was going to get a Note 2 perhaps.

The thing I want to know is..... does this device allow youtube playback when we go and check a text, facebook message, etc?
I love my Rezound but I hate how the youtube playback stops when I go to another browser tap or another app.

The Note2 is supposed to be able to fix that problem.

Upvote 0
OK, if you find out for sure , please let us know. HTC on verizon has done this before, The Rezound can, T'bolt can .... They don't normally advertise it on the phone's site, but they did here for the DNA so I was just checking ...

I've confirmed SVLTE is supported, SVDO is not.

Upvote 0
HTC nailed it with design, everything, save for non-removable battery/storage (and the effing name--seriously, DNA???). everything else is perfect, progressive, titanic! one of the greatest things about DNA is it's screen to hardware ratio. it's clear in trooper's pic in that it's slightly taller than S3, but the screen footprint is considerably bigger. this has also been a major drawback to the iClone for me. the ratio is better with the 5, but older clones were atrocious. i can't wait for the day that the screen on my phone is truly edge-to-edge.

all other specs are unreal. i've been holding off from GNII (cash, to keep my unltd) to see this phone, and i'm effing torn still. note II's specs are killer, lack of pentile is awesome. processor, camera, and SOFTWARE rock. i wish more android OEM's would upgrade their software like Sammy did. coming from DInc, now Vigor (ReZound (lame)), the HTC Droid line is a soft spot for me.

Upvote 0
HTC nailed it with design, everything, save for non-removable battery/storage (and the effing name--seriously, DNA???). everything else is perfect, progressive, titanic! one of the greatest things about DNA is it's screen to hardware ratio. it's clear in trooper's pic in that it's slightly taller than S3, but the screen footprint is considerably bigger. this has also been a major drawback to the iClone for me. the ratio is better with the 5, but older clones were atrocious. i can't wait for the day that the screen on my phone is truly edge-to-edge.

all other specs are unreal. i've been holding off from GNII (cash, to keep my unltd) to see this phone, and i'm effing torn still. note II's specs are killer, lack of pentile is awesome. processor, camera, and SOFTWARE rock. i wish more android OEM's would upgrade their software like Sammy did. coming from DInc, now Vigor (ReZound (lame)), the HTC Droid line is a soft spot for me.

Likely poor battery life, a non-removable battery and inexcusably low storage is not nailing it!

Upvote 0
It doesn't hurt but I stopped using them with my Rezound. Screen is just to pretty to cover up in any way imo

ha! totally. had an anti-glare (matte) one, then looked at my wife's one day, after having my protector on for months and i thought, "wow, what the eff was i thinking??" took it off right away and am glad i did. couple of nicks, but still looks amazing.

Upvote 0
Likely poor battery life, a non-removable battery and inexcusably low storage is not nailing it!

to each his own. I have never used more than 8gb on my phone. I don't use it to watch videos, I use to keep up with things, browse the web and have songs on there. Even with shared data and watching few hours of youtube videos. I have 5 lines we dont even use 6gb all together, and that is with me streaming google music all the time from work to home and school.

So far battery life seems to be pretty decent.

Upvote 0
Really? You forgot 32Gb internal memory + microSD slot in Maxx?
Agreed on screen, camera and processing power of DNA though.

Do you people understand there is a 64 GB version for the DNA?

Effectively the Micro SD is a boost of 32 extra GBs on the Maxx if you use a 64GB Micro ad, but plenty of people will be stumped when they realize this doesn't work 'out of the box'. For fans of this site it will be a breeze, but plenty will shy away from Formatting their 64gb Micro SD on their phone because they don't know how!

Upvote 0
to each his own. I have never used more than 8gb on my phone. I don't use it to watch videos, I use to keep up with things, browse the web and have songs on there. Even with shared data and watching few hours of youtube videos. I have 5 lines we dont even use 6gb all together, and that is with me streaming google music all the time from work to home and school.

So far battery life seems to be pretty decent.
I'm the same way.. with 16 GB I have plenty of extra room. If I do put a movie on my Micro SD card it's usually removed after I watch it. No need to have movies on their ill never watch. Also, With cloud services now growing I can guarantee we will see the growth of Phones HDDs slow. I agree Micro SD cards are nice but the industry will move away from this eventually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones