• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Droid DNA Review

Thanks for the review Trooper! I've been torn between the S3 and Maxx HD for about two weeks now. (I've been using the original Droid Incredible since it was released) When I learned the DNA was coming I was intrigued. Now that I see the specs, and the emphasis on audio/headphone quality, display/camera quality, AND wireless charging, it's a no-brainer, I'm going with the DNA! So stoked. (I ALMOST went with the S3 but that screen was just too dim) The 2020 maH battery in the DNA is worrisome but your review was reassuring and I'll have 14 days to change my mind if it doesn't work out.

The fact this commercial for the DNA emphasizes the audio/music quality so much, as well as the other features that are so important to me is very awesome:
DROID DNA by HTC Commercial TV Ad - YouTube

Zenman

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review! I've been having issues with my Galaxy Nexus lately (more so Verizon) and I'm looking for a new phone and this would obviously be at the top of the list, but I'm scared of leaving behind the pure Google experience of Nexus devices and am afraid of HTC Sense. I'm not familiar at all with it, so would you be so kind as to point out some of the features of Sense 4+?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Do you people understand there is a 64 GB version for the DNA?

Effectively the Micro SD is a boost of 32 extra GBs on the Maxx if you use a 64GB Micro ad, but plenty of people will be stumped when they realize this doesn't work 'out of the box'. For fans of this site it will be a breeze, but plenty will shy away from Formatting their 64gb Micro SD on their phone because they don't know how!

What are you talking about that there is a 64 gb htc DNA? looks like just 16gb on Verizin?

Upvote 0
Do you people understand there is a 64 GB version for the DNA?

Effectively the Micro SD is a boost of 32 extra GBs on the Maxx if you use a 64GB Micro ad, but plenty of people will be stumped when they realize this doesn't work 'out of the box'. For fans of this site it will be a breeze, but plenty will shy away from Formatting their 64gb Micro SD on their phone because they don't know how!

I think we all understand how the SD card works. However you are bringing information to light that I think all of us dont know including some that physically have the phone in their hands. No external port to accept a SDcard.

Per chance you you clarify the 64GB posting further? If the DNA DOES have something that will allow expandability...I think it would make a ton of people happier.

Upvote 0
Thats a bummer. I too use seperate volumes for my notifications and ring. I have to hear the work calls, but dont care for the guys texting me late at night.

Not a huge issue, but definitely an annoyance for how I use the phone.

I'm pretty sure apps like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofilesfree&hl=en will take care of your issue. After the ICS OTA hit the Rezound, it took away the separate ringtone and notification sounds, and many users opted for apps like this to work around it.

Upvote 0
What's your take on the durability of the usb port cover? I'm constantly plugging/unplugging mine in car docks, etc. and I'm concerned that it will break before long.

Personally I'm not a fan of it but seems durable. I understand for having 'clean lines' they covered it up but I like having easy access. Seems that because of this there would be a docking station accessory? If so the cover will be all in the way

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I apologize! I look like an ass, but I swear I read somewhere there were 32GB and 64GB options being released. Maybe I misread, but either way I was wrong!

No need to apologize, we all make mistakes :D

Its no big thing. I think a lot of us deep down inside were hoping you were right. ;)

And this was most definitely that case with me :(

Upvote 0
I would like to know about the multi tasking. I had the One X for a short stint and I noticed that background tasks were killed almost instantly. It essentially wasn't true multi tasking. Was curious if Sense 4+ and Htc fixed that?

Depending on when you had it, they released a fix that cured some of that. I found on mine that they screwed up two memory management parameters even after that. I corrected those and got more ram, and multitasking was back.

With 2 GB ram here, we'd better not see a repeat of that.

Upvote 0
Thnx Early, ya I had the One X shortly after it came out and that was truly annoying. I have since cancelled my AT&T line and haven't seen or used another HTC device running ICS. Decisions decisions, instead of taking the pre-order route like I normally do, I'm gonna wait til I can go check one out in person. I like HTC build quality and hardware but sense kinda throws me off. Especially since ICS and Jellybean just look awesome. With sense it doesn't even look like Jellybean. I wish they would at least incorporate the color scheme of the latest OS, that might sound petty but seeing the green battery reminds me of Gingerbread.

But man, that is a SEXY device!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones