My Droid Is Now A Worthless Paperweight!

Last Updated:

1. Kn1nJa

Kn1nJa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know what you might be thinking, and no I did not ruin my phone by rooting.

Apparently I live in an area where AT&T is buying cell phone towers from Verizon, so my contract is being bought by AT&T. So now the droid that I have had for maybe a couple months is now completely worthless. AT&T says that they will offer me a free comparable replacement phone.

PROBLEM! THERE IS NOTHING THAT COMPARES TO A DROID!

So I have to either live with the phone they give me, or BUY an iphone!

This makes me very sad, because 1) I love my droid ..... and 2) I love this forum.

Maybe in 3 or so years when the early termination fees are gone I can possibly switch back to Verizon. Maybe then they will have a droid that interfaces with your brain.

</venting>

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

"Apparently I live in an area where AT&T is buying cell phone towers from Verizon, so my contract is being bought by AT&T"

I have never even heard of such a practice. where do you live?

plus, if you are with VZW, and apparently "must" switch to ATT, how could there ever be ETF's?? it's not something you asked for, so how could they enforce fees PLUS if you cant have VZW now how could you in the future.. unless you move

4. Kn1nJa

It's still not a droid >_> ......

That and I paid a $300 early termination fee to get away from t-mobile to go TO verizon.

I am just so upset over this whole ordeal.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

That sucks!
    The Captivate might be nice? I'd go with that before an iPhone, and you can always sell your Droid.
    I'd be pissed if I was in your shoes though...

6. Lock-N-Load

this is to bizarre

you signed up with VZW - which was recent if you did the Droid - only to have VZW tell you just mere months later their dumping your contract and have arranged with ATT to pick it up and now you must be with them?

7. Kn1nJa

Welcome to AT&T

There is the map. Kind of narrows down where I live eh?

Also it isn't Verizon's fault. The government told Verizon to sell contracts in certain areas after the alltel merger.

8. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I do recall reading something a while back that this could happen, it has to do with the purchase of spectrum a while back. Don't remember the details now though.

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

its because of the whole Altel buyout that this is happening right? You should read over your contract it may be grounds to get out of it without having to pay the ETF. Not sure where you go from there but if Sprint is in your area they have some awesome phones like the EVO and if you need a keyboard the Epic is either out or coming out soon

10. Kn1nJa

Doesn't help that I absolutely HATE AT&T ...... I might have to just get a new phone number and a new account at verizon now.

11. Lock-N-Load

yeah I mean come on.. VZW signals dont just stop all of the sudden in mid air. so still not sure why you don't just go back to VZW? or do you all of the sudden 1 day have every tower around you that was VZW changed over? I just cant fathom they can force you to go to ATT and institute fees on you.

whatever buyout took place, I can't fathom they can take choice from you and force you to move like that.

so what, this is now like a VZW dead zone?? not. just open a new VZW account and phone #. give the contract buyout the bird and ATT the bird.

12. Kn1nJa

Our government never makes sense any more. I think I will bite the bullet and get a new account (as much as it pains me). I will NOT go to AT&T.

Also.....on a side note will ........ (train of thought interrupted) .........

OMG! I was just on the phone with verizon and they said that once AT&T buys my contract and everything is moved I can just port mu number BACK to verzion!

And there was much rejoicing!

13. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

That's one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I'd be extremely hot.

14. Lock-N-Load

WTF?? so what's the point off all of this. what was/is accomplished by them doing this? :confused:

15. Kn1nJa

I am totally confused. As long as I can go back to Verizon, I don't really care any more.

I hate our government. They can't make anything easy. They also can't use a little bit of common sense...

16. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

At least you ain't gotta stay on with AT &T

17. Kn1nJa

So true

:D

18. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a free out of your ETF.

19. Lock-N-Load

what it SOUNDS like is a dog and pony show at it's finest

20. Kn1nJa

I could not read that without having cleveland's accent in my head >_>

21. EZE336

EZE336 Active Member

hehe me too

22. GDP

GDP New Member

Yeah, just port your number back over to Verizon. You could even get a pretty cheap smart phone (like an Eris or Ally) for 20 bucks after the rebate, just to use for a back-up or else you could sell it to a friend. Might as well get something out of the hassle they are putting you through

23. tap

tap New Member

i'll buy it from you ;)

24. Kn1nJa

I will see what I can get from Verizon when I port back. I was wondering about getting an att replacement phone, then porting after I got it, but figured they would probably ask for it back.

25. badtheba

badtheba Member

I'd be pretty pissed if they had done that to me. I "sort of" live in that area on the map in Michigan, and the Verizon offices are pretty organized about the whole thing here. They have Alltel towers and Verizon towers. Apparently, if they take towers that are under the ownership of Alltel RSAS and put everything in Verizon's name too soon, they are even further penalized by the government. Therefore, some of us are still under Alltel contracts (mine ends 8-24-10), and a move to a Verizon contract is either optional or forced for some. So for now I am paying Alltel prices on an Alltel plan, but all through Verizon billing so the customer never sees the Alltel name.

From everything I've seen, when it comes to 4G, Verizon has bought the largest rights for coverage by me, so I'll be pleased for staying with them in a few years when it comes. AT&T is crap here.