My Droid running at 1.25 GHZ

Last Updated:

1. Sykosykes

Sykosykes Member This Topic's Starter

I keep seeing posts popping up about the dangers of over-clocking. People talking about their phones getting super hot, horrible battery life, force closes etc. I have been running my Droid at 1.25 GHZ for about two or three weeks now with absolutely no spike in temperature and zero force closes. My phone is super snappy and runs perfectly. Obviously my battery doesn't last very long, but the performance is totally worth it. Am I just lucky, or am I just in the "calm before the storm". I guess what I am asking is, does it usually take a while for over-clocking symptoms to become prominent, or is my kernel and Droid just working perfectly well together? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

There's your answer! Not all Droids are created equally unfortunately. And, a lot of user error causes the problems by ROM/kernel combinations. I can generally keep mine at 1.2 no problem, but a lot of folks have issues going beyond 800Mghz.

3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

Mine runs very well with jdlfg's 1.2 It's snappy and runs very cool however, When I and streaming Pandora and running Nav or running slingplayer while chargeing it can get pretty warm (120F)
    I set my SetCpu profile to 700mhz while chargeing and this seems to work for me :)

I would suggest watching temps because in my opinion its the heat that can cause damage not really the speed.

ransom147 likes this.
  4. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Most of the people complaining about such experiences that you list in your post are due to user error IMO. They are just using kernels that aren't working well with their phone. I have flashed several kernels and experienced force closing, soft reboots, heating very quickly, but you just have to keep trying until you find the ones that work best. It sounds like you are running a great kernel for your phone and I wouldn't worry about anything happening in the future.

5. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Active Member

In my opinion, 1ghz is the best for my Droid in terms of a balance between battery life and speed.

6. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

You Tube and 1.2 dont play nice on mine, It overheats and goes into a boot loop. It was screaming fast though. I went down to 1 Ghz and has been fine since.

7. Sykosykes

Sykosykes Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm sounds like everyone really does have unique experiences. I guess I was just fortunate!

8. jjl1911

jjl1911 Active Member

I have been running the Chevy 1.25 kernal for like a month with Jrummy roms. Works great. Snappy and enough battery to last all day with my ADHD self. Quadrant scores anywhere from 1400 to 1648. :D