• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Droid vs. Droid X rant

yzingerr

Dec 28, 2009
SF Bay
I'm pretty bummed right now.
Through this hype of the new X, I have been counting the days until its launch.
Unfortunately the more research I do, the less I want the X.
This makes me sad :( I love new toys!

I want a 4.3" screen, +1DX
no physical keyboard = no snes roms
(i cant stand virtual keypads for gaming, love my game gripper!) -1DX
HDMI out only plays gallery items!? Wtf! I was really counting on streaming internet vids to my tv
(until root) -1DX
720p and 8mp camera +1DX

Im not usually one for rants, but I know I'm not alone on this let down!

Also, the Droid X's bootloader is REALLY locked down (worse than the Milestone) and, as a result, it may take a long time to obtain root (if ever at all).

This is the biggest deal breaker for me :rolleyes: I will definitely get another Android phone, but it's really important that it can be rooted. However, I'm not even considering a new phone until LTE is out, and I'm able to get a discounted upgrade.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the more research I do, the less I want the X.
This makes me sad :( I love new toys!
Isn't it more important to get a device that suits you than just some random new device? There are plenty of other new toys on the way. Don't give in to rampant consumerism for its own sake.

Probably not alone but I had no interest in the X. Nothing coming out is enough of an upgrade IMO -- particularly with LTE, dual cores and even faster processors in the pipeline.

Plus rooting and modding is a must for me.

Upvote 0
Is the normal Droid not an HD screen? Also what is a game gripper?

The normal droid screen has the same resolution as the droid X. But neither are "HD" as they only have 480 horizontal lines (when in landscape). And "HD" is minimum 1280x720 (VerticalxHorizontal) when in landscape mode.

I'm guessing the next generation of phones will have 1280x720, especially given the resolution that came out on the iphone 4. The only problem is they use a 3:2 ratio, where as the droid and droid x use a 16:9. I believe the EVO4G is 800x480 which is 16:9.6

Upvote 0
I think the big reason that Verizon is letting people upgrade to the X from the droid1 is that they see the mistake they made letting the original droid be so open. This way they can get all the gotta have the new flavor of the month freaks to jump to the X not realizing what they just gave up. I wouldn't jump to the X even if they offered me a free upgrade, and im right at 12 months out til upgrade. You can bet that from here on out, that all android phones on the VZ will be of the digitally signed and encrypted flavor. No thanks VZ, im gonna rock this droid until it won't operate on the system anymore thank you.

Upvote 0
I think the big reason that Verizon is letting people upgrade to the X from the droid1 is that they see the mistake they made letting the original droid be so open. This way they can get all the gotta have the new flavor of the month freaks to jump to the X not realizing what they just gave up. I wouldn't jump to the X even if they offered me a free upgrade, and im right at 12 months out til upgrade. You can bet that from here on out, that all android phones on the VZ will be of the digitally signed and encrypted flavor. No thanks VZ, im gonna rock this droid until it won't operate on the system anymore thank you.

The only problem with your logic is the fact that VZN doesn't take back your old phone. So if someone upgrades to the DX, they can still switch back to the Droid at anytime (assuming they don't sell the phone). So this totally makes your arguement pointless. Verizon isn't allowing people the ability to upgrade early to get Droids out of the system, they are doing it to sell more phones.

Upvote 0
The only problem with your logic is the fact that VZN doesn't take back your old phone. So if someone upgrades to the DX, they can still switch back to the Droid at anytime (assuming they don't sell the phone). So this totally makes your arguement pointless. Verizon isn't allowing people the ability to upgrade early to get Droids out of the system, they are doing it to sell more phones.

and lock you in to their network for 2 more years.

Upvote 0
I want a 4.3" screen
Me too..but only if i get a better resolution too

HDMI out only plays gallery items!? Wtf! I was really counting on streaming internet vids to my tv
Really?? wow...that sucks! The only reason i'd want to do it is for streaming...lol[/QUOTE]
Can't blame ya for ranting...lol. I was interested in a droid x right up until I heard the "may not be able to be rooted" thing. Now...NO DROID X until I know for sure that it IS rooted..lol

Upvote 0
Also, the Droid X's bootloader is REALLY locked down (worse than the Milestone) and, as a result, it may take a long time to obtain root (if ever at all).

The bootloader has nothing to do with rooting. It blocks the install of custom ROMs. So you can still run root only programs.

To the original poster. Just be patient. Something with the specs you want will be out eventually.

Upvote 0
The important point to consider is they are looking at the contract end date, not the early upgrade date (ie the 20mo upgrade date doesn't matter). So if your contract ends by 12/31/2010 you probably can upgrade. If your contract ends 1/15/2011 making your early upgrade date be 11/15/2010, you have to wait until 11/15 to upgrade.

Ah, thanks for that. Don

Upvote 0
I think i'm going with the droid even though I have an X preordered. I just don't see it as such a huge upgrade that it is worthy of me spending $200 for 1 phone when I can get 2 droids for free from wirefly or amazon (for me and my wife going to verizon).

And in a year when I am available for an upgrade as the primary line, hopefully they will have even better super phones out with higher resolution screens, dual core processors, etc. etc.

Upvote 0
You call that a rant!?!?!?! Weak sauuuuce. You didn't even use an angry smiley? haha. jk :p

yeah, that's the deal with new phones. I've learned not to get it right away unless I research to see if the phone is worth it. I was stoked about the EVO but I did my research and decided it wasn't worth jumping ship. It took me a month after launch to decide to get the Droid and I only got it because it was on sale but before that I used to get every cool new phone regardless if I was on contract or not. Hence I got stuck with the Moto Q....HTC Touch....Touch Pro....oh and my all time favorite Samsung Instinct all baaaaaah! haha.

But to be honest those -minus 1s you have aren't deal breakers for me. I'll still consider getting that phone.

Upvote 0
There is something alluring to the new Droid X, but I'm very satisfied w/ my Droid. Much like the HTC Incredible, the only thing I really can say I like more is the camera. And the whole bootloader thing is an issue for me. I wanted the Droid b/c I wanted a phone akin to the iPhone, but customization is huge for me (it's my phone I want to be able to do what I please to it). The Droid offered me that, and then when I discovered what rooting was, I was in euphoria. I don't think I can give that up.

As I stated in another thread, having a rooted Droid, there really isn't a clear-cut better phone currently on the market. It's going to take the rumored dual-core processor Android that Motorola has in planning before I become jealous.

Upvote 0
As one who keeps my phone in my pocket, the X is getting very large! Coming from my curve, the droid was larger (I wish it didn'thave the lip were the mic is), and now the X is still larger. The same res on a larger screen is nicer on the eyes, for the poster who is talking about read HD (1280x720), even on the X's screen, imagine how small things would be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones