• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Droid's a Virgin -- questions about rooting

For the past 8 months, my Droid has been left unrooted. No hacks, no mods, no roms, etc. -- in other words, it's a virgin and hasn't been rooted. However, I guess you can say I've always been a "Droid enthusiast" because 1) I know a fair amount about Android and its progress with other phones, and 2) I constantly track the news on Android via Droid Life with gReader.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to root. I have a question before I do though, and perhaps it's that "one million dollar question" that's asked a lot of the time, but after searching, I couldn't find an exact answer. I apologize if the answer is already out here and I just didn't type in the right keywords during the search:

Can I get my Droid back to factory settings by performing a factory reset via the settings menu?

I ask this because I really don't want to cheat myself out of my insurance and my warranty. That would suck pretty bad, of which I'm sure everyone agrees. If the answer is that I can't reset it via the settings menu, then how can I do so to avoid a legal mishap?

Thanks so much.

Yes, you can return to stock, but not by performing a factory reset from the settings menu.

Other people will argue with me but IMO this is THE method to root:

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

One big reason is the most surefire method to return to unrooted stock is flashing an SBF file through RSDLite. Since that is what you do to root using the method I linked to above, if you ever need to return to stock you will already know how to do it and have the necessary software installed on your PC.

Best of luck.

Reactions: connor11493
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones