1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

My emails are disapearing before I can read them.

Last Updated:

1. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is what happens..

1. I send an email to my G1 (not Gmail... just ordinary pop3 email)
    2. I get the notification OK.
    3. The email applications says "RedMist________________(1)"
    4. So I click on RedMist, and then Inbox
    5. It shows the email subject and then, within 1 or 2 seconds, the email disappears. without me clicking to view the email.
    6. No matter what i do i cannot view this email again.

Any idea whats wrong?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

What email service is this ?

Do you have it set to delete emails on the serve once read?

3. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for responding, however, I may have found a solution, so I'll document it here in case anyone should come across in in the future.

I am using "google apps" for my email. i.e. It's gmail back-end for your own domain.

I had it set up to download email via POP3.

What happens is, when you download the email to your android device, google marks the email as read. However, the next time it's checked (usually within a few seconds) the email does not exist (in reality, it's just marked as read) so Android removes it from your device. I don't know who is at fault google apps or Android OS, but it's not right.

However, there is a solution, or rather a work-around, which turns out to be rather a good solution indeed!

Use IMAP instead of POP3

Log into your google apps account, and enable imap in your settings. Then remove from Androind your POP3 account, and add another one using the IMAP settings. Google Apps has specific Android instructions in it's help section.

I've never used IMAP before. I never saw the point. However, now it appears to be working and it works much better than POP3 - you get to see all the folders on the remote machine and all your emails ever received and sent (as long as you havnt deleted them that is)

I hope this is of use to someone who discoveres this a Google search

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Thanks for posting your solution here ... I have add more "search tags" to the thread to help with searchs for finding this post...

5. toys4fun

toys4fun Member

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to send e-mail to my moto droid from my PC account. I use Microsoft outlook express and my carrier is Centurytel (now Centurylink). I'm using the "e-mail" widget on the droid to send my e-mail to rather than the gmail widget. Therefore, I think I'm bypassing google. But I have the same problem. When I receive mail it shows up for 1-15 seconds and then it dissapears and I can't find it any more. I tried to go in and set the account up as an IMAP rather than a POP3 but it failed to recognize it and wouldn't let me set it up that way. Has anybody else had the same problem and do you know how to fix it?
    Thanks
    Cody

6. jamesF

jamesF New Member

Just bought my droid and set my email up using the secondary email app that came with the phone. Setup fine. Get emails and can even read them, if I am quick enough, then they disappear. Some mail I don't even get the chance to read. I can't even get the mail from my original, centurytel.net account. HELP.

7. jrstriker12

jrstriker12 New Member

I'm having a similar problem with my yahoo account. Any suggestions? It's currently set up using IMAP.