My epic 4g power button doesn't let me turn the screen off?!Support

Last Updated:

1. melani24

melani24 New Member This Topic's Starter

I keep trying to turn the screen off after i send a text or check something but nothing happens. I have to wait for the screen to timeout for the phone to go black. It stopped working today. Is there any way to fix it?!

Advertisement
  2. saxologist

saxologist Well-Known Member

have you tried the button upper L side you use to shut it off and power up?

3. Camm64

Camm64 New Member

Mine has been doing the same thing and I haven't figured out why. I tried resetting it and ev everything.

4. comiclown

comiclown New Member

Have you tried updating your system?
    Menu->Settings-> About the phone->System Updates.

5. idamann

idamann Member

mine started doing that after I did an update a couple days ago,,,very annoying because I check my phone constantly and throw it back in my pocket,,,the only way around this have found is to set a very short timeout so I just wait for it to time out then throw it in my pocket,,,,still annoys the crap outta me

6. idamann

idamann Member

update,,,just went and did the update checks again,,,works now, funny, I shall be much less annoyed now ;-)

7. neoxvirus

neoxvirus New Member

Hey people I seen this same question posted around here and recently I had the same issue. What I did that worked was go system updates in the settings menu and press update profile. I had this problem for a day about 3 days ago and after doing that it hasnt come back yet. I hope this helps you out! Merry Christmas!

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

This is a Galaxy S issue. I have it on my Epic, Captivate, and on my Vibrant as well. All are/were running 2.1 OS. There is some background TouchWiz software or something specific that Samsung is running that keeps the power button from shutting off the display.

This happens 30-40% of the time I'd say...sometimes it won't happen for days, other times it happens several times a day. No way to predict when it will happen.

Hopefully this is resolved in 2.2. I never had this issue on my Evo, LG Optimus S, or any non-Samsung phones.

My short term solution is set the screen timeout to 30 seconds or less and let it time out, or try to do something else like open up email, calendar, SMS etc and then try to power off the phone.

Very irritating at times but it is what you get with Samsung.

9. melmom11

melmom11 New Member

@neoxvirus - just wanted to say thanks. This fixed the same issue on my Epic.