My Epic gets very hot!Support

Last Updated:

1. Adlebo

Adlebo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

At times, and especially when using it for more than 10 minutes, the Epic becomes really hot on the back cover more to the top, where the "galaxy s" is. I was wondering if this is normal. Can anyone tell me if this is happening to them as well?

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Doesn't happen to mine (I've been running it HARD all day).

3. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I had this issue on my Droid and a it ran warm on my Evo. It has yet to happen to my epic yet. What are you doing that's causing this?

4. Adlebo

I just use the phone, browser, etc. And I can feel the back of the phone warming up more and more. My battery life is lousy as well. I checked the task manager if there was any background running apps but there wasn't anything of concern. I used to have a palm centro which heated up occasionally and drained the battery, I needed to make a restart everytime it happened. I'm concerned that my beloved epic is defective.

5. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

Is your signal strength low when this happens? The phone will increase it's output to reach towers if you're in a low signal area. This also means your phone's SAR rating is increasing.

6. Adlebo

my signal strength is fine. (NYC). I was thinking that the problem might be that I bought a "cheap" car charger to help me charge the battery. Maybe the charger did some damage. Does that make sence?

7. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

You never know. I know when it comes to buying accessories like car chargers, I'd stick with Samsung. One things for sure, don't tell Sprint or Samsung that you used someone else's charger, or they might pin the problem on that, and void your warranty.

Adlebo likes this.
  8. Adlebo

So according to what I gather, no one has any problems with the Epic "heating up". But what about when you charge the phone, does it then get hot?

9. sleipner

sleipner Active Member

mine has gotten to 108F, you can check the battery info and get the temperature

10. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

Yes. I was charging my phone today with a Samsung car charger, and it hot very hot. I turned it off and restarted it, and there was a temperature warning symbol. I'm not sure why it did it this time, I had used it in the past when using GPS, and it didn't heat up like this.

11. Adlebo

How did you check the temperature?

12. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I use BatteryTime Pro and it tells me the temp.

13. Alisha

Alisha New Member

My Epic gets extremely hot when I charge it as well. The heat is focused on the back of the phone in the top half as described by another forum member.

It does not sound like many are having this problem so I too am concerned I may have a unique issue with my phone.

14. rmingee

rmingee Well-Known Member

I had that happen once, when I tried to run Google Maps inside with the GPS set only to use GPS and not the wireless network. As you might expect, it couldn't get my location, so I enabled wireless network usage. It still couldn't get my position, and that's when it started heating up. I rebooted, and got a popup asking for authorization to let Google collect anonymous location info *after* the reboot, and noticed I had lost about 40% of the battery life during all that. I think it got really confused. Hasn't happened since, but I just leave the wireless network usage for location enabled now.

-- robert

15. BrianM456

BrianM456 Member

Mine gets hot as well when I use it for about 10 minutes. It seems like i have lousy battery life as well, but this is my first smartphone so im not sure how the battery life is suppoed to be.

16. ruban

ruban Member

poop | Plixi mine got hot an turned off uhhh lol. I had to talke a p0icture with my iphone and took a pic of my iphone when I turned it back ok lol. Anyway its the battery symbol with a thermometer. "Battery too hot or too cold" to charge. Ahhhh

17. johnwoo

johnwoo Member

I get the very same problem and I am wondering myself that if mine is the only one. Every time I am using my phone about 10 mins, it's getting heated up and it starts to drain my battery like crazy. The heated location is exact the same as some of you described above. I might want to exchange this to different unit.

18. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

no problems here. it gets warm depending on what apps i'm running (e.g., movies, high graphics gaming), but never a problem from normal use, especially within 10 minutes of usage.

if it's within 10 minutes of usage, then take it to the sprint service store and show them. that should be easy to repeat.

19. Stringyquark

Stringyquark Well-Known Member

using temp+cpu v2...and my hand i have had mine get from 35c to 42c during heavy use GPS and charging i believe that around 105F have never had it tell me I've overheated but thought it should.

20. B777Williams

B777Williams Member

I have the same problem. My phone will get up 105 at times

21. iluvchoco

iluvchoco New Member

My Epic gets incredibly hot, too. :( It sometimes reaches over 107 and I have to take the battery out and let it sit for a while hoping it'll cool down on its own. I haven't had the warning that the phone was either too hot or too cool to charge, though. I'm surprised more aren't having this problem.. I'm guessing only a select few are dealing with this.. :(

22. marcs

marcs Member

I also notice that my Epic gets really hot when I am on the internet.
    Using the original one or a second battery same result.

If you really want to know what hot is trying charging your phone and surfing the internet I reached 108 degrees. Never do that again....

23. LRNA

LRNA Member

Has anyone had problems that their phone turns off?

24. holes45

holes45 Active Member

Mine will get really hot under two different scenarios. 1) If I don't do the TWOS remedy with airplane mode, 2) Sometimes I will try to use a gps app like google maps for instance and I will back out or switch to something else and the "gps searching" symbol will keep flashing. After a little while, the phone is scorching and will be drained of battery very fast.

25. nana4jb

nana4jb New Member

Mine also gets really hot. It just happened again last night. I was surfing the Internet forabout 20 minutes