• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Epic gets very hot!

I just use the phone, browser, etc. And I can feel the back of the phone warming up more and more. My battery life is lousy as well. I checked the task manager if there was any background running apps but there wasn't anything of concern. I used to have a palm centro which heated up occasionally and drained the battery, I needed to make a restart everytime it happened. I'm concerned that my beloved epic is defective.

Upvote 0
I just use the phone, browser, etc. And I can feel the back of the phone warming up more and more. My battery life is lousy as well. I checked the task manager if there was any background running apps but there wasn't anything of concern. I used to have a palm centro which heated up occasionally and drained the battery, I needed to make a restart everytime it happened. I'm concerned that my beloved epic is defective.

Is your signal strength low when this happens? The phone will increase it's output to reach towers if you're in a low signal area. This also means your phone's SAR rating is increasing.

Upvote 0
my signal strength is fine. (NYC). I was thinking that the problem might be that I bought a "cheap" car charger to help me charge the battery. Maybe the charger did some damage. Does that make sence?

You never know. I know when it comes to buying accessories like car chargers, I'd stick with Samsung. One things for sure, don't tell Sprint or Samsung that you used someone else's charger, or they might pin the problem on that, and void your warranty.

Reactions: Adlebo
Upvote 0
So according to what I gather, no one has any problems with the Epic "heating up". But what about when you charge the phone, does it then get hot?

Yes. I was charging my phone today with a Samsung car charger, and it hot very hot. I turned it off and restarted it, and there was a temperature warning symbol. I'm not sure why it did it this time, I had used it in the past when using GPS, and it didn't heat up like this.

Upvote 0
So according to what I gather, no one has any problems with the Epic "heating up". But what about when you charge the phone, does it then get hot?

I had that happen once, when I tried to run Google Maps inside with the GPS set only to use GPS and not the wireless network. As you might expect, it couldn't get my location, so I enabled wireless network usage. It still couldn't get my position, and that's when it started heating up. I rebooted, and got a popup asking for authorization to let Google collect anonymous location info *after* the reboot, and noticed I had lost about 40% of the battery life during all that. I think it got really confused. Hasn't happened since, but I just leave the wireless network usage for location enabled now.

-- robert

Upvote 0
I get the very same problem and I am wondering myself that if mine is the only one. Every time I am using my phone about 10 mins, it's getting heated up and it starts to drain my battery like crazy. The heated location is exact the same as some of you described above. I might want to exchange this to different unit.

Upvote 0
My Epic gets incredibly hot, too. :( It sometimes reaches over 107 and I have to take the battery out and let it sit for a while hoping it'll cool down on its own. I haven't had the warning that the phone was either too hot or too cool to charge, though. I'm surprised more aren't having this problem.. I'm guessing only a select few are dealing with this.. :(

Upvote 0
Mine will get really hot under two different scenarios. 1) If I don't do the TWOS remedy with airplane mode, 2) Sometimes I will try to use a gps app like google maps for instance and I will back out or switch to something else and the "gps searching" symbol will keep flashing. After a little while, the phone is scorching and will be drained of battery very fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones