• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my eris is driving me banana sandwhich!

I know that the signal meter is not accurate. I have a Network Extender in my house, and most of the time, when I look at the signal strength, it'll say 0 bars. (I use WiFi for data, so it's not that it's a weak 3G signal.) Sometimes it switches to all bars, then switches back. But, when I make or receive a call, I get perfect reception - I never drop a call, never any problems with voice quality.

The network extender has a range of 40 feet, but even when I am ten feet away, this happens.

I think that the software that monitors the radio signal is flukey.

Upvote 0
The signal definitely goes up and down on my Eris. I haven't dropped calls, but I do believe that the phone is wasting a LOT of battery, thinking that reception is bad some of the time.

The bars can go from full, to one bar, to 0 bars, to 3 bars, to full again, just sporatically all of the time.

This is actually an issue that, I feel, is the BIGGEST culprit in draining our batteries so fast.

I honestly think the HTC antenna is garbage, but that Verizon's signal is generally good enough that this is acceptable.

Set our phone down next to a Droid. Watch the bars on the droid. Watch the bars on the HTC. The droid's, holding still at 3 or 4 bars, while the Eris moves between 0 and 3 (sometimes 4) sporatically.... is an indication of something important.

I've suspected the HTC antenna from the beginning.

I think this thread, if it is a judgement of the phone's antenna by a jury of it's peers, is a GUILTY verdict.

Upvote 0
Also I forgot to mention, even with my limited bars I still get get 3G 75% of the time at home, it does the flip flop between 1x and 3G every so often. But can still browse web and all that. Just got a new wifi router, so been using that at home if I don't feel like booting up my beast of a comp. So still unsure of your issue. 2 phones later, no calling area, hmmmm. Gotta be an issue with verizon. Idea, any of your friends have verizon that can come over to the house to compare, either non eris/droid or eris/droid???

Upvote 0
Ive yet to experience a problem where I live but it seems to me if you had good coverage with your Dare and are having a problem with the Eris, maybe the Eris phones that you've had have bad radios, or are a user issue. It makes no sense to have good coverage in one area with one phone "on verizon" and than bad with a next. If you get a new phone turn it on and see what how many bars you have before you purchase the phone.

Upvote 0
Ive yet to experience a problem where I live but it seems to me if you had good coverage with your Dare and are having a problem with the Eris, maybe the Eris phones that you've had have bad radios, or are a user issue. It makes no sense to have good coverage in one area with one phone "on verizon" and than bad with a next. If you get a new phone turn it on and see what how many bars you have before you purchase the phone.

Couple of key things I think ur missing. A) coverage isn't the problem, my phone shows coverage, it just drops the call anyway. B) my wife works for VZW so I have ti order the phone online. I could test it out In the store if the nearest one wasn't 40 minutes away. So It would be a very good test ground for wh3re I use the phone the most.

Thank u OTD I have yet to get a resolution to this problem. But when I do I will for sure post back to let everyone know.

Upvote 0
Ok. so. For NOW I've decided to live with this issues. It seems my only option thru VZW will be a refurb, so that is out of the question. I can upgrade in July, so I hopefully catch the Nexus one or Incredible. Although I might pass on another HTC if someone else has an android phone for Verizon with comparible specs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones