My EVO is suddenly saying I am in a different location

Last Updated:

1. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Evo is saying I am in Deland, which is 25 minutes away from me. I have no idea why this is. It says it in my weather widegt and in my Where widget. It gives an exact address even.

My Google GPS still sees my location though.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

And while I am at it, where in the settings do you turn off the intro music when you turn on the phone?

Advertisement
  2. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

Mine says I'm about 50 miles away often. I figure it's when GPS isn't available (I'm in a basement) and it's guessing your location based off of your network connection. I'm on a link that geo-locates elsewhere. I'm also on an Airave so no traditional tower set up to test against either.

3. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ahh, I am on an airrave also, but I have not noticed this issue before. It must be the airrave then.

Ok cool.

4. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

i'm in hawaii and it once said i was in sudan for some reason.

5. 81_

81_ Banned

at home, in the same room, same seat, and i can be in any of about 4 cities.

6. akurk

akurk New Member

I had this problem as well with Google Maps navigation..While traveling in colorado it suddenly became confused about which direction we were heading and was about a half mile off ...we litterally missed an off-ramp to a highway we were looking for and had to find our way out of the burbs to get back to our original path. I restarted the app and it immediately picked up the proper location and heading...was rather freaky and really messed us up.

7. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I haven't found a way to turn off the intro music while the phone powers up, but I need to, cuz it often wakes my daughter who works all night.

8. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Never happened to me, and I use the Nav feature everytime. Maybe if you go roaming it will change since most of the maps on our phones are from the web, and needs a constant web connection while navigating. That's why, the moment Tomtom gets an app for Android, I will definitely get it. :)

9. StealthTH

StealthTH Well-Known Member

Put the ringer on silent before powering it down.

damewolf13 and BenChase7 like this.
  10. Neplusultra

Neplusultra Active Member

Gps figures your location by 24 satellites in lower orbit. Without Gps enabled the phone will set your location to whatever cell tower you are communicating with.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

11. mattjlomax

mattjlomax Active Member

ya, my wife and I can both be sitting on the couch and both of our EVO's say we are in a different place (different county even) and not even the county that we live in. One says we are in Paxton, a county north of here, and the other says that we are in Oakwood, a county south east of here. Funny....

12. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

you must go to deland at once... something mysterious awaits you. never neglect your evo.

13. baizej

baizej Member

The Airave will throw your location off. Unless you have the GPS icon in the notification area, your location is based off cell towers, or in this case, the Airave. When I'm on my Airave, it shows I'm 20 miles from my house.