• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Evo Thoughts & Review

Bek

Android Expert
Apr 1, 2010
Chicago burbs
Aaaaand I have my Evo!

bananadance_getdown.gif

27836_391655081649_695761649_4617245_2504734_n.jpg

Am not able to play with it as much as I like right now, being at work and all. But I am installing all of the apps that I had queued up via AppBrain.com.

Here're my initial thoughts:

* This bugger is FAST and RESPONSIVE
* This bugger is big, but not HUGE
* The glass screen LOVES fingerprints. My Zagg Invisible-Shield will be here in a few more days
* WiMAX Speedtest.net - from my office in the Chicago Loop, got me 92ms ping response, 3.71 Mbps down & .89 Mbps up to a local Chicago server.
* Touchscreen is very responsive.
* Touchscreen glare is very high, in direct sunlight, but not completely unusable.
* To those who noted bleedthrough at the bottom, I cannot see any at all.

I hope to have more feedback later.

What kind of screen protectors are going to be anti-finger print but also not feel like rubber?

This. Every one I have ever used made it at least a little more "tacky" than the straight glass. The one on my iTouch isn't too bad but it makes the screen look kinda wavy like those old hologram card things where you tilt them back and forth to make the picture change.

I would prefer anything anti-glare if possible without sacrificing image quality or brightness.

Upvote 0
This. Every one I have ever used made it at least a little more "tacky" than the straight glass. The one on my iTouch isn't too bad but it makes the screen look kinda wavy like those old hologram card things where you tilt them back and forth to make the picture change.

I would prefer anything anti-glare if possible without sacrificing image quality or brightness.

I've used screen protectors from dcmugen on ebay for my old Nokia E71 and my recent Nexus One and will be using them for the EVO. Great, cheap and perfect.

Upvote 0
Dead. To. Me.

Hey SprintFun...

*hands you a highlighter.*

MEDIA BLITZ

So missing the loop lunch was well worth it...

Ah, didn't know this was you!

What kind of screen protectors are going to be anti-finger print but also not feel like rubber?

I've always been happy with my Zagg Invisible-Shield

It seems like I read in one review that if you turn auto brightness on, it would turn it all the way up when you're outdoors, and looked pretty good.

Just had our team meeting outside, so I took a glance again. For bright, direct sunlight, it's definitely usable. I haven't tweaked any of the settings yet either.

Upvote 0
Aaaaand I have my Evo!

bananadance_getdown.gif

27836_391655081649_695761649_4617245_2504734_n.jpg

Am not able to play with it as much as I like right now, being at work and all. But I am installing all of the apps that I had queued up via AppBrain.com.

Here're my initial thoughts:

* This bugger is FAST and RESPONSIVE
* This bugger is big, but not HUGE
* The glass screen LOVES fingerprints. My Zagg Invisible-Shield will be here in a few more days
* WiMAX Speedtest.net - from my office in the Chicago Loop, got me 92ms ping response, 3.71 Mbps down & .89 Mbps up to a local Chicago server.
* Touchscreen is very responsive.
* Touchscreen glare is very high, in direct sunlight, but not completely unusable.
* To those who noted bleedthrough at the bottom, I cannot see any at all.

I hope to have more feedback later.

No bleedthrough is GREAT news to hear! I can live with anything else but that would drive me up the wall...im praying mine is sealed up nice...my iphone had bleedthrough and i ended up taking it back a good 3 or 4 times before i finally got one that was "decent"

Upvote 0
So over the course of the afternoon, I've drained the hell out of the battery. I think I sank it from 40% down to 10% over the course of an hour. Obviously, I still have not "conditioned" the battery either (save any pro/anti conditioning comments, I don't care).

Physically, the phone still feels absolutely rock solid. I love the screen and the feel. I've always been a physical keyboard kind of guy, but am fast getting used to the touch-screen keyboard. I'm eager to try out some of the 3rd party keyboards soon, especially Swype.

I'm VERY VERY impressed with the Talk to SMS feature. Played with that on the train and that was fairly accurate.

Since I'm new to Android, having come from a Pre, I've had to make a number of adjustments. Getting used to no multitasking like WebOS has been one thing. I'm also adjusting to how notifications are delivered differently.

I am loving SenseUI and am really looking forward to customizing the hell out of it. I've downloaded around 60-70 apps via AppBrain, so am slowly trying all of those out as well.

I browsed a few sites on the phone, including this one, and WOW, what a difference in mobile browsing vs the Palm Pre. This is very very usable and I'm extremely pleased with it. It was very snappy and responsive.

That's all for now... going to let the Evo charge for the next 20 minutes, before I have to run out to dinner. Hope to have more thoughts and feedback tonight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones