• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Evo Thoughts & Review

Alright, here's my exact breakdown.

My total commute this morning was 90 minutes. During that entire time, I was listening to MP3s via my Bluetooth headset. For about 70-75 minutes, the screen was on and I was doing something on the phone... either surfing, running random Speedtest.net tests,

My battery started @ 98% and ended @ 58%. My screen's set to the default auto-adjust settings. I kept 4G off the majority of the time, since I didn't want to taint the test. I did have it on while I was in the burbs, running various speed tests, but did turn it off once I hopped onto the train.

All in all, not a bad stress test. I've heard that Android does not necessarily report battery consumption in a truly linear fashion, but that's something I need to investigate further.

Thank you for all the testing your doing. I am loving it here at work just reading all of the EVO news. I am so happy that you guys got your phones and can give us an honest opinion over several days use.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
PreCentral? Yep, I'm there too. :D

Look at my prior posts - my initial numbers were drawn from within my downtown office. As for home, my WiMAX coverage there is spotty but I already knew that. I didn't have WiMAX coverage in my suburb until maybe 3 months ago, so wasn't expecting solid coverage there. When I was at home last night, I switched to wifi anyway.

Yep I thought so, I still linger over there somewhat, but its becoming a desert over there lol.

See I will be the complete opposite, my coverage at my office doesnt look great....but my house is covered in an ocean of 4G on the map.

I am also curious about the WiMax they are putting in Radio Shacks, and how far they cover. I have a RS behind my house, I wonder if it might give me an extra boost.

Coming from a PRE like myself, you seeing any other elements that we will be missing...aside from the cards??

Upvote 0
Yep I thought so, I still linger over there somewhat, but its becoming a desert over there lol.

See I will be the complete opposite, my coverage at my office doesnt look great....but my house is covered in an ocean of 4G on the map.

I am also curious about the WiMax they are putting in Radio Shacks, and how far they cover. I have a RS behind my house, I wonder if it might give me an extra boost.

Coming from a PRE like myself, you seeing any other elements that we will be missing...aside from the cards??

While the Pre has its strengths, mediocre hardware, mediocre performance, and lack of apps have really killed the phone for me.

Learning of the Home button trick completely solved my initial multitasking related "I miss swiping between cards" gripe. Aside from that, I'm just adjusting to how Android does things differently in their base apps (Calendar, Contacts, Mail, & SMS).

I am loving having fully customizable home screens. That is a huge plus over the Pre, and making the phone's "launching" capabilities far more usable for me.

I'm in the South Loop around the Printer's Row area. I hope Wi-Max speed are as good there as in the Loop proper. As a current AT&T iPhone user who can barely even get a decent 2G Edge connection in my condo building, I'm skeptical about whether Sprint will be any better, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised for a change!

Aside from building interference, I've been satisified with my WiMAX coverage thus far. If the weather & my workload are favorable by lunch today, I may be meeting a buddy in the North Loop, so will run random 4G speedtests when I wander over. Those are outside but better than nothing. But yes, AT&T's coverage here in the Chicagoland area is CRAP (I was on them for a year), and that's one reason why I went back to Sprint.

Reactions: taylor7667
Upvote 0
Bek! +1 on people hating you for having one early:p

I'm glad the Chicago area is treating you well on reception. Do you still have the stock 8GB card? What class is it?

I really don't know what else to ask sounds like everyone is liking these things now anyway. Enjoy!

Just the stock 8gb class 2 card. I have a Transcend 16gb class 6, sitting in limbo from Amazon.com (picked Super Saver shipping).

Upvote 0
Thanks Bek, that's encouraging news. With my switch to Sprint next month, being able to possess a decent PHONE signal and receive calls properly will be a luxury I'm not even able to enjoy with my iPhone 2G on AT&T currently.

I don't even use the phone that much, but missing occasional calls because of a lack of signal in my very own home has been really annoying, as I only moved here recently from California where AT&T Edge was fine. Not sure if it's to do with the buildings around me, but we'll see in a few weeks hopefully if Sprint can make life happier and penetrate better. If not, their return policy is generous and I can try the Incredible on Verizon for example, and still take advantage of Android.

Upvote 0
This is a small thing, but surprisingly important. When you get a chance could confirm that an audible alarm will ring through both vibrate and silent modes? Does the alarm have indefinite snoozes (i.e., snooze until disable)?

Yes, there is a setting for whether you want the Alarm to ring when your phone is silent.

Reactions: swarles
Upvote 0
Hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but I'm wondering about the battery still. I'm coming from a Curve and am used to charging every night. I read that your battery dropped about 40% in 90 minutes of what I'm assuming is heavy use. I don't really use my Curve much for the things you mentioned (music, web) because it's just not satisfying to do so. Anyway, that seems like a very large loss of battery life. Since I'm doing all the research on this phone for 3 other people (who I'll have to answer to if they're not happy!) I'm wondering if I'm simply as uninformed as I feel and if nobody else is concerned about that 40% drop in 90 minutes. Help me out, gang. Ease my concerns!

Reactions: nethed
Upvote 0
Thanks, that's reassuring. I don't know that I'll use it like that to see the same kind of drop but I want to have explanations ready for the lazy family members who rely on me to tell them what to do. I guess I'll just be ready to charge the thing every chance I get (in the car, at my desk, whatever) which is something I don't need to do now. There's no harm in charging in the car and using the phone at the same time right? Bluetooth for calls...Nav...things like that?

Upvote 0
Hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but I'm wondering about the battery still. I'm coming from a Curve and am used to charging every night. I read that your battery dropped about 40% in 90 minutes of what I'm assuming is heavy use. I don't really use my Curve much for the things you mentioned (music, web) because it's just not satisfying to do so. Anyway, that seems like a very large loss of battery life. Since I'm doing all the research on this phone for 3 other people (who I'll have to answer to if they're not happy!) I'm wondering if I'm simply as uninformed as I feel and if nobody else is concerned about that 40% drop in 90 minutes. Help me out, gang. Ease my concerns!

Dont be too concern with that drop....it is common with these heavier powered smartphones now a days.

Unfortunately batteries are just not as up to date with what these phones can do now.

If anything, just look into getting an extended battery.....and remember, EVERYONE will be doing heavy use to start off with. You always play with a new toy as much as possible when ya first get it.

Upvote 0
Good point. I know I'll be playing with it a lot, but my commute is 30 minutes in my car so I can't kill the battery before I get to work. Hopefully all that fun learning will be happening at home so I'll have a charger readily available.

Note that my commute is ENTIRELY by bus & train. So I'm not paying attention to driving, just sitting on my arse and doing stuff on the phone.

Upvote 0
Good point. I know I'll be playing with it a lot, but my commute is 30 minutes in my car so I can't kill the battery before I get to work. Hopefully all that fun learning will be happening at home so I'll have a charger readily available.
Thats what she said :eek:

Yeah, on my pre I have had the batt drop 20% while just looking at a news app for 30 mins.

Upvote 0
Hey Mr Op
Thanks for the Chitown updates...I'm a fitness trainer and work and live near loop.
IF during your lunch or whatever I could play around with it I'd be grateful..pick up your lunch too !
MY. big thing is to what extent 4 G is maintained here...mainly cause Sprint 3g will be a significant step BACK compared to the average 1.5-2.0Mg I get on my nexus.
Anyway lemme know bout that lunch LOL.
Tfdm40@gmail.com

Upvote 0
Alright, so I thought I'd document my battery drain experience during my commute home.

When I left the office, I was at 82%, having recharged after dropping down to about 30%. Again, I listened to music via Bluetooth the whole time. But instead of surfing the whole time, I decided to nap. I just played music, left the 4G radio on, and surfed for maybe 30 minutes of my total commute.

When I got home about 80 minutes later, I had dropped down to about 55% battery. Not too shabby.

Upvote 0
I'm in the South Loop around the Printer's Row area. I hope Wi-Max speed are as good there as in the Loop proper. As a current AT&T iPhone user who can barely even get a decent 2G Edge connection in my condo building, I'm skeptical about whether Sprint will be any better, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised for a change!

I'm in the same boat. I work in the Wrigley building, near Michigan Ave. and the river. My iPhone is mostly stuck on Edge throughout the day. And I can barely have a conversation without distortion. I've been nervous about moving to Sprint, but it can't get any worse, right?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I work in the Wrigley building, near Michigan Ave. and the river. My iPhone is mostly stuck on Edge throughout the day. And I can barely have a conversation without distortion. I've been nervous about moving to Sprint, but it can't get any worse, right?

It'll be much better. I've said elsewhere, I was on AT&T from 2008 through mid-2009, and went back to Sprint because I couldn't take the terrible service quality. It's ridiculous that we're in the middle of one of the largest cities in the nation, and cannot get solid 3G connectivity (on AT&T).

I have a number of coworkers who are all iPhone fanatics. And ALL of them would leave AT&T in a heartbeat, if the iPhone was offered by a CDMA provider. They bitch and complain about AT&T's terrible service constantly. I just grin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones