• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My EVO vs iPhone 4 Impressions

The Galaxy S Pro is coming to Sprint. That is the one with the Keyboard as opposed to the Galaxy S which I believe is going to AT&T and I think I saw T-Mobile has a variant of it in the works

I thought it was going to like t-mobile as the Vibrant or something?

Edit, replied at the same time as the last msg... LOL...

Not interested at the Pro tho, I like virtual keyboards... Less moving parts... This is why the EVO is right up my alley... Not only that, but no track ball / pad either... I hate those things... (personal preference I know some people love them)

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about keyboard lag. At all. The keyboard on the EVO works just fine for me. That doesn't mean it's on-par with the iPhone's keyboard, though, because it's not.

In terms of lag, I'm speaking about the overall responsiveness and fluidity of the operating system it self. The menus, the way things open, ect.

I'll second what SeauxCrazy said. I don't understand the complaints about lag either. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod touch with is the same OS. I don't see much of a difference in responsiveness and lag going from one to the other.
The only time I have bad lag on my evo is when it's installing something.

Upvote 0
I'll second what SeauxCrazy said. I don't understand the complaints about lag either. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod touch with is the same OS. I don't see much of a difference in responsiveness and lag going from one to the other.
The only time I have bad lag on my evo is when it's installing something.

You'll see lag in a minute when I upload my video of me replying in the reply boxes in this forum...

The typing is done and it takes about a full 10 seconds for the letters to show up on screen... :eek:

Upvote 0
The stock keyboard isn't as bad, but it's still super slow... The preview window don't even have enough time to show up half the time it's so laggy...

Once you use any sort of hacked keyboard like Smart Keyboard, IME, Droid X multitouch, it REALLY shows...

As for general lag, if you compared this phone to Nexus 1 or the likes, you'll see menus are pretty choppy, apps start off pretty choppy (The first HR in 3D Homerun Battle is a chop fest)...

I just ran that same game on the iPhone (despite being coded in lower rest I suppose) but it had zero lag what so ever... The screen size is to laugh at though...

Other places that have lag is the browser scroll... It is SMOOTH in Android terms compared to phones like the Hero, but this is still where iPhone tech shines... It is so smooth...

I can totally live with the menu lag / scroll lag, in fact, if the iPhone wasn't so smooth it wouldn't even be an issue... Only in comparison does it seem flawed... However, the keyboard lag is just unacceptable... And the only real reason why I'm on a keyboard crusade right now with the phone...

I can't enjoy sites like this (this forum is my home page) when I'm on the go cause I can't type a dang reply!!! LOL...

ROFLMAO at engadget picture HAHAHAHAHA

Upvote 0
I see a tiny bit of jerkiness when scrolling, but nothing that bugs me at all. So yeah, in my experience I would say the iphone is technically smoother, but for me it's splitting hairs, because the difference is negligible (to me).

As for the keyboard... I can't imagine that kind of lag. I just went into this forum, brought up a reply and started typing like crazy.... a bunch of jibberish, because I can't type THAT fast... but I was just going crazy on it trying to get it to lag... and it always kept up with me.

I know you shouldn't HAVE to do this... but maybe a factory reset is in order for you.

Upvote 0
Done the factory reset... Done it after a week of use just to see what all the fuss was about... So no need doing it again...

I might do it for the heck of it anyways though, cause I play with my phone a lot...

I'll report back after if I do though, but first I gotta post up the vid, my sister's EVO is uploading it right now it's about 56 megs (shouldn't of recorded in 720p LOL)...

Upvote 0
You know? Thanks for ruining my day... Just when I was finally getting use to my EVO, you come here with this awesome review and make the EVO look like utter crap compared to the godly iPhone. Good bye EVO users. I am going to get an iPhone because it looks more clear in one pic vs another EVO pic.

Upvote 0
You'll see lag in a minute when I upload my video of me replying in the reply boxes in this forum...

The typing is done and it takes about a full 10 seconds for the letters to show up on screen... :eek:

Kauss... Maybe when you find that 10 sec lag while typing, it is as simple as "you're holding it wrong".;)
I sawee....couldn't help myself.

Upvote 0
Just a small comment, I just held my old roommates Iphone and I feel it is really really small. My man hands need a man's phone. Overall really clear and fast Iphone but nothing impressive....the rim of the phone feels really weird when you hold it.... well at least in my opinion I don't like the feel when I hold it. I feel like I can crush it with y hands and I can barely type with the tiny keyboard.

Overall, glad I chose the Evo. I would choose the Iphone if it was bigger and if ATT would be a better provider.

Upvote 0
No cause I made the thread (and others can make their own thread LOL)

I only do 30 on the phone, but reach 40 when free typing... The iPhone is as fast as you can type on to it... There is a HUGE difference... I'll make another vid tomorrow to show...

Then people will really see to a fast typer where the issue is... Cause the stock keyboard is REALLY laggy...

Upvote 0
the rim of the phone feels really weird when you hold it....

I felt the same when I first had the iPhone in my hand... It felt almost plastic, that's why I stated build wise I like how the EVO feels over the iPhone, but it's still a pretty nice phone on the outside... It's like top 5 in the mis universe pageant... There are no losers...

Upvote 0
You know? Thanks for ruining my day... Just when I was finally getting use to my EVO, you come here with this awesome review and make the EVO look like utter crap compared to the godly iPhone. Good bye EVO users. I am going to get an iPhone because it looks more clear in one pic vs another EVO pic.

Says the guy with 3G in his name. Not a very smart troll at all. They never are though that's why they use the iPhone. It caters to they're SPECIAL NEEDS. Evo is to advanced for iphoners. Its like handing a cave man an Evo. They just look at it scratching they're very small heads.

PS Make sure you hold your iphone right. That coupled with terrible att apple just handed Evo the crown thank you.

Upvote 0
I felt the same when I first had the iPhone in my hand... It felt almost plastic, that's why I stated build wise I like how the EVO feels over the iPhone, but it's still a pretty nice phone on the outside... It's like top 5 in the mis universe pageant... There are no losers...

Yeah Iphone definitely needs a case to cover up that weird feel. But overall the design is a step up from the old bulge design from the 3gs and previous versions.

But I personally think this version will be a huge hit with the ladies. It feels like it was built for them in terms of the size and the sleekness. I don't mean to say its a girls phone, but it just feels way too small. I mean if you decrease the size of the screen, its no wonder its so clear and crisp. But I don't know, its all about what you prefer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones