My experience so farGeneral

Last Updated:

1. arvindm

arvindm Member This Topic's Starter

Have had the Galaxy S for about a couple of weeks now. So far am very VERY pleased with it. This is my first major non-nokia phone... after having a couple of small stints with SE (horrible experience) and an old Samsung (was using the e71 previously). Android is just amazing. The no. of applications, the customization options, etc is just awesome. Here are just some thoughts on the phone so far:

1. Hardware
    I miss a flash at the back, but if there is enough light around the pics come out very crisp. The camera also has a setting called "Outdoor visibility"... you can check it if the light is low and it will brighten things up a little. HD Video Recording works great and the clarity is superb.

The Super AMOLED screen simply has to be seen in person. No amount of videos and pics will do justice to it. It's simply phenomenal and I for one cannot go back to any other screen. Colours are crisp and vibrant. Watching Avataar on this made my jaw drop, it is that amazing.

I have had no problems with the plastic casing. Feels very solid in the hands. The phone is a huge finger print magnet though. But overall I love the looks of the phone.

Loudspeaker is not going to bring the house down, but will do the job just fine. Only problem is that it is at the back of the phone so when you keep the phone down you can hardly hear anything. Wish they placed it at the top or side or something. Calls are VERY clear. I can hear the person on the other line extremely well.

GPS has worked like a charm so far for me. It connects very quickly, faster than even the e71. Google maps is nice although there is no navigation yet here in India.

Phone lasts for almost 2 days for my usage. Very decent if you ask me. It's recommended you charge the phone for bout 4 hrs the first time you charge it.

2. Software
    I really like the Touchwiz 3.0. Yes it looks a lot like the iPhone but it is very slick and smooth. Everything is snappy and fast. Gallery is stock Android interface. Samsung has put in some nice touches like swiping a contact to the left or right in order to message or call respectively.

Love how Gmail and Gtalk are integrated with the whole system. It's so seamless. Fantastic.

Android market is very addictive. Not used to having so many options. There's an app for pretty much everything. Paid apps are not yet available for people in India though.

Browser is awesome. Only problem is I am on EDGE here and there is no 3g in India as yet.

My only gripe about the whole OS is that there is no fixed way of exiting an app completely. Usually most apps just keep running in the background even after you exit them. Advanced Task Killer has been very handy. Have set it to kill apps every half an hour.

Rating : 9/10
    Over all am very pleased with the phone and I only hope Samsung doesn't go back on their word about releasing android 2.2 for this. I don't think I'll be going back to Nokia for a long time to come....

If you're looking for the top of the line Android handset you can't really go wrong with this. Very highly recommended.

(Any questions pls do ask, will answer them the best I can)

Advertisement
    Eazail70x7, TCC and elchingon666 like this.
  2. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member

Great Review. Thanks!

3. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

Your experiences match mine very well, with the difference that I'm on a pure 3G network (which still gives me the same battery life).

One thing I'd like to point out that when you exit an app it doesn't lie running in the background. What you see is an image of the app that's kept in the RAM. The reason for that is that when you start that app again it will start quicker and consume less power during start up. If the system needs more RAM available it will close apps as necessary so there's not much need for unused RAM, as there has been in older operating systems. Of course there can be apps that doesn't close down as they should, but that should be exceptions.

4. arvindm

@ricardo - thanks!
    @evil peter - ok i didn't know that, thanks for the info. so am guessing running the task killer just a couple of times a day is enough?

5. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

Yes, you shouldn't need to use it very often, if at all. I have Android System (all sorts of system info) installed and have the option to easily kill tasks manually there so I don't feel the need to have a task killer. Perhaps I'll change that opinion if I start having problems but this far it's been fine.

6. jree

jree Well-Known Member

Awesome review thanks alot. I was still on the fence about whether I should buy this phone when it first comes out or wait till next year to see what will be coming out but you just pushed me into buying this phone.

I think that when I get this phone I will be smashing my cliq on the ground, set the pieces on fire, and piss on the flames to put it out rather than sell it just so nobody else has to put up with the problems that I have

7. arvindm

@ evil peter - thanks mate!
    @ jree - hehe, you are most welcome... and you will not regret it!

8. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

I ENVY YOU GUYS!! i can't wait till july 15th.... Vibrant here i come (even though it's missing the front facing camera...... i'll be alright i guess...)

9. lanceeee

lanceeee Member

Wait until next year? If you wait until 2011, then you won't be able to upgrade until 2013. If you upgrade now, then you will be able to get a 2012 phone in 2 years, which will be better than your 2011 phone.

10. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Its gonna be around 2nd Week of August for us here in the Philippines thats waiting for an unlocked unit, the telco seems to have several lagging issues.

11. sanzboi18

sanzboi18 Member

guys iv got this phone,but im disappointed by its wifi,its simple rubbish,the modem is next room and it says poor signal,whn im by the modem it says excellent,so im not happy with this as im web brower freak,any idea wat to do?

12. beyond_Godlike

beyond_Godlike Member

Hmmm.. feels pretty bad! I bought this phone seeing the fantastic hardware. didnt know Samsung could mess Android up so bad!!!! Sadness.. HTC Legend is faster than this phone!!!!

13. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I don't know if ur joking but I don't plan on using my upgrade. I am going to do the equipment installment plan so I don't have to be in another contract. I might leave and go elsewhere if tmobile doesn't step up their game with phones.

14. The Captain

The Captain Member

Happy with phone but am not jumping over the moon. My concerns so far are:

• Even when set to maximum ringing tone volume too low. When I have it in a hip pouch on my belt under a light jumper (its winter in Aus) its a bit hard to hear.
    • Instruction manual supplied (including the one on Samsung's web site) is way too basic. There are many functions I am finding out by accident and experiementing that are not in the manual.
    • When using Wi-Fi at home after I disconnect the phone says wi-fi is turning off. Waited an hour and still the same message. Had to reboot phone to fix. This has happened more than once.
    • Voice dialling does not work. When I state who I want to call it does recognise what I say even closely.

15. drjmo

drjmo Active Member

What I think is weird is that people lambast apple for it's lockdown of the phone, yet I can't remove the Samsung / Google rubbish that comes pre installed! Oh wait, apparently I can if I root the phone... which is something I don't want to have to faff around and do! Tsk. Apart from that, I really like it! Addicted to Robodefence...

16. penumaka

penumaka New Member

Hi Aravind - howmuch does it cost in India?

17. koolduud

koolduud Member

I think camera has good low light performance.

Just saw 720p Avatar. My eyes popped out seeing the color vibrancy and contrast. Just out of the world. Never knew these colors even existed.

BSNL provides pure 3g in India - video calling, HSPA.

18. arvindm

@ penumaka - i paid 27,500 in bangalore
    @ koolduud - yeah the night mode is actually quite fantastic. just waiting for vodafone to start their 3g services now. would be an absolute boon for a phone like this :)

19. sam9s

sam9s Well-Known Member

"No Paid application in India" what crap ..... I was planning to buy Desire but this bottleneck is forcing me to think towards iPhone 3GS, atleast you have access to ALL the applications, and there are LOADS of them ....

Is this how its gonna be ....