• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Experience with Battery Life

jdub71

Jan 7, 2010
My battery life was not acceptable in the weeks after getting the Eris. I had replaced the stock messaging app with chompsms and drained the battery to 1% three times in a row. However, I was seeing about 13% battery drain per hour. I do work in a low service area a few hours per day and suspected beautiful widgets might be pulling too much power.

Thursday night, I did a factory reset on the Eris. I went back to running sense and set up my notifications and location settings like I like them.
Taking the phone off the charger at 7:15 this morning, I used it as usual throughout the day with 22% remaining at 11:30 tonight. My up time went from ~21% to 13% and my battery drain went down to about 5% per hour. I've had 17 emails, 3 google voice messages, a couple dozen texts, 45 mins of wifi at the office, 45 mins of Robo Defense and minimal phone calls.

I'm guessing I've removed a problem app or setting, but havent isolated it yet. Maybe beautiful widgets, maybe the first location settings (use wireless networks) unchecked or maybe it just responded to a fresh factory reset. Either way, I'm thrilled with the improved battery life today and wanted to report.

Thanks for the great resource this site is!

Yes, besides heavy usage, installed apps do seem to be the big battery-drain deal with the Eris.

I admit to being real conservative about applications; I just use what's already there in the phone when I get it, with two exceptions in the Eris I've downloaded and use daily: Spare Parts and Brick Breaker.

Getting the 1750 battery changed a good situation, about 12% to 17% left in the battery by shut-off/recharge time at night, to a great situation (almost unbelievable, and better each day so far), about 50% left on the battery at night now. I have been quite surprised by the increased capacity of this 1750 battery (and yes, the back cover fits just the same as it did with the 1300 stock battery ;)).

Upvote 0
Helps when I'm at home and use my PC instead of the phone, lol

I know you're kidding a bit, but I did find myself in the habit of getting away from using my phone, sort of unconciously, in efforts to extend the battery life, even after I got the 1750.

I'm back to full usage of it and it is quite gratifying to be able to get away from that habit and end up with plenty of battery life at the end of the day now.

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience after having to force hard reset my Eris due to android error message. Battery drain was pretty bad before, with about 20% left after a normal day's use or worse. I had way too many apps with about 35mb of memory left. After hard reset, I added back only apps that I really used and now have about 60mb of memory and let battery drain to less than 10% for three days in a row and battery life and performance is way better. Also installed Advanced Task Manager.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones