• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My fancy schmancy Droid Beach Case

As does sealing your Droid in an accursed pentagram annointed with the blood of slain geek virgins....Not that I've used that method or anything. I've also heard that if you offer up the immortal souls of both a VZW and a Motorola rep to Yog Sogoth (and HOW does Swype not have Yog in the dictionary) on the night of a waning Cheshire moon, you can get a Droid with a bubbly keyboard.

They make other types???

Upvote 0
So, for those of you angsting about your precious glass, or more realistically, your precious internal components and sand/steam/water but unable or unwilling to buy a case, might I suggest....a Ziploc bag!. Specifically, I've found the quart size Ziploc freezer bag to be almost ideal for the Droid at the beach...or the Droid near the shower...or the Droid while brushing one's teeth. It's not going to waterproof it, but it'll make it a whole lot more water and steam resistant while not interfering with your ability to use the touch screen or hear the speaker. Also, it is excellent to use if your fingers are going to be wet or grimy or some combination ofn the two. For instance, a week ago when I was on "vacation" yet had to be available for a call. I popped my Droid in a Ziploc and went to the pool; sure enough, that's when they called. I picked up the call through the Ziploc, asked them to hold, and had the time to dry my hands and hair before unbagging the Droid.

I wouldn't try, you know, testing the limits of the Ziploc's airtightness, but as an emergency or just water-resisting measure: it's cheap and surprisingly effective. NOTE: I WILL NOT BE HELD REPONSIBLE IF YOU SHOULD TAKE YOUR DROID SCUBA DIVING IN A ZIPLOC. This is not to be taken as a foolproof method of keeping your Droid safe. Much like "safe sex", this only reduces NOT ELIMINATES your chances of damaging your Droid. OTOH, should you find yourself stuck in the rain on the side of the road with no umbrella, needing to Google AAA, a Ziploc will start looking pretty nice.

May this help someone keep their Droid from dying.

Haha I'm going scuba diving this weekend, maybe I'll try out the ziploc ;)

Upvote 0
Ah,Barry99705, it is not that geek virgins are particularly rare, rather it's the difficulty engendered in luring them from their native habitats. The accepted method involves enticing them with the eldritch glow of an Alienware laptop loaded with carefully chosen hypnotic messages while you tell your chosen victim that he or she has been chosen to be part of an elite beta testing of new rendering technology that can only be run on equipment that can't leave the corporation yet. Hesitant and suspicious by nature, the geek will resist leaving the safety of his/her own computer and frequently must be pried away from waiting for the perfect monster to spawn, (leading you to think in your head, "oh you want to see a monster spawn, dude, just let me chalk a pentagram real fast and you'll learn that in the real world monsters DON'T DROP LOOT, THEY JUST EAT YOUR PASTY BODY AND DEVOUR YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!!")
...Not that I speak from experience or anything.

Kbayer, I'm impressed that you found Yog even though I didn't spell it right (doesn't do to name them, you know...stuff looks up and *notices* you if you do.) Soon, my friend, you will learn that all roads lead to the Old Ones, although the dimly lit, sketchy ones will probably lead you to them faster. Now that you know, you'll see them everywhere, visibly and subliminally: video games, movies, more metal bands than you can kill via "accidental" overdose, children's television.

And, mazz0310, when scuba diving or otherwise immersing myself in salt water, I prefer to let my Droid welcome me back to land as it holds down my spot on the beach towel, suitably guarded by one of my friends who has been duly deputized and warned of the Machiavellian retribution that they *know* I can rain down upon them should they let it come to harm in their care. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones